1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
My NEW (to me) Miata
By brianne12782 on 03/27/13 13:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I just bought a 1999 Mazda Miata. She's cherry red and with the beige lether interior, Bose sound system, P/W and P/L. I love her!!! I've wanted a Miata since before I could drive and my mom refused when I was 16 years old to get me one, citing it was unsafe. I understand where she was coming from- plus when I went to college, in MAINE, my Miata would've been a silly choice. However, I live and work in Boston and I love this car! No, I wont be able to take her out in the winter that much but she's a second car and well worth it. She was just over $8,000 and had only 28,000 miles on it! I know right!!! She had one owner who kept her in a garage at his cape cod house! WHat a steal- mint!

Second time around
By mike9691 on 09/04/12 21:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

We bought our first Miata new in 2002. Can't add anymore than everyone else has about how fun and reliable it was. Had to get another car soon after because it was impractical for our needs at the time. Ten years later, I found this 1999 with 140kmiles for a very good price and practicality be d****d. It still runs like a new one and is just as much fun. I'd like to disagree with everyone that says it's not a good choice for a 6 foot person. I'm 6'1" and have plenty of room with the top down, which is the main reason for owning one. It is a little tight for headroom with the top up, but that shouldn't keep a taller person from checking one out.

6 years, 160K, but had issues
By eightieslingo on 12/27/11 00:01 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought my Miata for $7000 in 2005 with 70K on it. It had one owner who kept every record of service and who washed it every Saturday. The car was a dream for about 2 years, then my check engine light came on. I ignored it and it would go away and come back. One hot day in August my car overheated and I had to pull over on the highway. My radiator had cracked. We had it replaced but still had problems with the check engine light. Then in 2010 my air conditioning only worked if the car was in motion, otherwise it would shudder. This summer (2011) my car frequently overheated if I wasn't in motion. Even with all of these problems I still was sad to see it go when I finally upgraded.

Awesome 1999 miata
By ray on 06/15/10 13:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Bought a 1999 miata with 64k mileage on it around 8-9 months ago. Bought it from the original adult owner. About the car: Manula transmission -Low mileage when I bought it -haven't done anything aside from 3k oil change -Current mileage on the car for the past 8-9 months is 73k I enjoy driving this little beauty. My gf doesn't like it because its manual and she thinks the car is too small(your opinion matters little..). So far, upgraded air filter to K&N oem filter(1mil mileage warranty), momo shift knob, and just recently added a High Quality trunk lip spoiler, Original did major service @50k, so I guess I will do one at 90k or so. So far, the car drives flawlessly.

My second Miata
By Tim on 03/05/10 01:33 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

This is my second Miata. I got it with only 57,000 miles. Previously I had a bare bones 96 (no A/C, P/W) I loved it. Then I bought a new 05 Mustang GT that had the comfort and the performance (LOVED that one too!). But I had to sell the Mustang unfortunately. So while I was "right sizing" I went back to a Miata. And in San Diego there isn't a more perfect car. If it wasn't for the 300 HP in the Mustang I would have rated the Miata higher in performance. The Miata's handling is perfect. It's buzzy at freeway speeds. I love the way it shifts. Looks better than the new Miatas!

10 Years and Strong
By Atlanta on 01/09/10 15:20 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Purchased this car with 58K in March as a daily driver. Already put 10K add is drives great. Gas mileage is awesome. Had to replace the master & slave on the clutch -- plastic cracks after 10 years. Also, just put in new plugs, wires and timing belt. Runs like new! I drive 40 miles each way to work and love to drop the top on nice days. It makes the commute in ATL way more tolerable. Drove from Atlanta to Jacksonville, FL - 6 hours one way. The car was more comfortable than you would expect on a long drive. Don't get me wrong. This is not the optimal distance car but you won't be miserable on long drives.

1 1/2 Years later...still good
By Coolrey on 12/31/09 14:41 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought this car in the summer of 2008. It had 140,000 miles...new top w/glass back window. I had water pump and timing belt replaced right when I bought it. Not that it necessarily needed it, but I just wanted to get it done in case. The "check engine light" came on not long after I had it. Replaced Cat converter with a cheap one. Light came on again later. Replaced Cat w/ factory one..no problems, but it wasn't cheap (1K). Other than that, this car has been great...Knock on wood...had a little problem w/power windows but was a very minor fix. I really like this car, even though I get ribbed by my friends for driving a "chick car"...but I don't care. Now has 150,000 miles on it.

Too much fun
By Chris68 on 11/11/09 11:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought a high-mileage Miata on eBay with the intent to convert it to an electric drive. The little car has been so much fun that I kept putting off the conversion. Although not a muscle car, I find that it has enough power, combined with the incredible handling, to make any driver smile from ear to ear. Incredibly reliable with lots of DIY resources available on the internet to fix little issues and find parts. I impressed my wife by being a Sunday mechanic for the first time with this car, and replacing soft top myself. Also added a roll bar for great looks. Car still turns heads.

Get the supercharger
By ithinkthereforeiam on 05/24/09 20:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I highly recommend installing a supercharger on the miata. I purchased a used miata with a supercharger already installed. It feels like I'm driving a rocket powered go-cart. I'm probably pushing close to 200hp in a 2300lbs car. And to top it off, I get 28mpg with my foot in it all the time.

Fun and Reliable
By Meyer on 03/08/09 17:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Just purchased and love the handling. Only had 50K miles. I bought this over the Z3 for the following reasons: -Reliability, Glass Back Window, Manual Top