1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Capability Review
By The Fudder on 11/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I had a Corvette before buying the Miata and honestly enjoy driving the Miata much more. The only problem is long distance. Cannot sit in the Miata much more than a couple of hours. Great handling on tight curves. Performance a little weak but expected. A fun sports car.

STO2GO
By roknrol on 09/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata STO 2dr Convertible

This is a great car. I'll echo the other review about being careful of the special editions. It's too easy to become so paranoid of getting the car dinged up that you'll just keep it in the garage and admire it. However, the car must be driven to truly admire it. I had wanted a true, classic convertible for a long time, but didn't want the maintenance issues of an MG or Triumph. The Miata is the perfect answer.

classic design
By a.bledsoe on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

the miata is a truly fun car to drive,own,and operate.if handling is your strong point this is your car.

Awesome Affordable performance
By dbensyl@att.net on 04/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

This is my third Miata after owning a 1990 and then a 1994 model. I have owned many cars from cheap imports to a Lexus LS 400. In my opinion the Miata is the most trouble free car on the road to own and operate, and a joy to drive. I put over 100,000 miles on the first one and only replaced an $8 headlight (excluding routine oil changes, tires, and filters). The only weakness I have seen in these cars is that the OEM spark plug wires do not last that long. Replacement spark plug wire set will last for another 100,000 miles and cost around $30-35. This car is always a blast to drive and will never leave you stranded.

Couldn't be happier.
By vectorwolf on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I purchased this vehicle in July 2002 with 45,000 miles on the odomoeter. It now has nearly 70,000, and I've yet to have any mechanical, or other, problems. It's as quick off the line as any V-6, turns heads wherever you go, and is far more roomy and comfortable than it's exterior go-kart appearance lets on. It's terrific in bad weather as well. No leaks unless you're driving in horizontal rain. And, amazingly enough, with only a pair of snow tires on the rear wheels (any generic brand will do), you'll be passing by other poor souls in SUV's in the dead of winter. Well worth the trouble of actually locating one for sale. Zoom, zoom. :-)

Fun car to drive
By Ceasar on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata STO 2dr Convertible

When I first walked up to the car I said, "Its so small, no way I could like this". When I got into the test drive I was sold ! The power is a bit lacking but I can not get over the handling. It is such an nice car to drive. I am planning to turbo it but stock it is GREAT.

not very practicle
By jammer on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

i cant seem to get where i am going, the car keeps taking me down all these back roads and alternate routes. cant get the car off my mind ,i just want to keep driving, its also getting expensive on gas doing 500 miles a week,am now late for work most days, so the car is not very practicle if you want to do any thing but have fun driving

Pretty cool little car!!!
By Shaun C on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I just bought a 97 Miata and I have to be honest and say I am hooked - hook, line and sinker! I have had other two seaters before (76 Fiat Spyder and 90 Fiero) but none of the have had the ride this little car gives. I have been very impressed with Junior's (what, you haven't named yours???) handling and top end pick up. It doesn't seem to have as much pick up on the lower end as I had expected, but it more than makes up for it in pick up at speeds over 50 mph. I drive with the top down as much as possible as this is how the car feels at it's best.

Miata STO
By rhino1776 on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata STO 2dr Convertible

I'm 57 years old with back sugury and was concerned with being able to drive a performance car. However, when I came across this STO Miata I thought I would give it a try. The deciding factor was the automatic transimission. The car cries out to be a stick, but I have to stay with reality concerning my back. With this in mind, the car has performed past expectations. I am just under 6' and fit just fine. The automatic it is like driving a go cart.

A great car
By EddieJ on 07/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

This is my second Miata, and I still love it everytime I see it and get it for a drive. Build quality went down from my first (a 1990), but I may be nitpicking. I've driven alot of of other sports cars, but not many compare, because the Miata is so light and communicative. You don't need fancy electronics to get you out of trouble the miata tells you, and the car has the ability to get you out of trouble. Only when you start getting into the 50K+ range do you get something comparable, but still those drive so dryly and clinically. It just doesn't seem to be an experience.