1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Love My Miata
By RPE on 04/21/10 07:45 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I have only owned my little red Miata for 3 weeks...but I love to drive the car with the top down. It is a blast. I also have a '79 MGB..but this car hugs the road, the curves unlike the MGB. It has 128,000 miles on it..but motor sounds great. The get-up-and go is much faster that my '10 Corolla automatic. We have had several hot days in April and have been able to drive it, top down. Can't wait until Summertime. Will have to sell the MGB..that was the deal with my wife..but, oh well...I have owned it for 20 years..and I guess it is time to pass it on! A buddy of mine at work just bought an '03.....drive one...you'll buy one!!!

Update from Doug
By Update on 10/03/08 14:35 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I have now owned the car for four-plus years and have 140k on it. I had to replace the clutch this summer. I switched to premium fuel (instead of alcohol blend) and mileage went from 25 mpg in town to 28 and runs better. Still great fun and highly recommended.

Mood Elevator
By Omaha Driver on 03/19/08 20:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Take an ordinary day with time in the office, add a business trip or errand, take down the top on the Miata, and presto, instant mini-vacation. What a mood elevator. I bought the car with 100K and have added 36k over three years as my daily driver. I even drove it this winter (not recommended). Throw some sand bags in the trunk, make sure the tires are good, and be careful. Goes fast enough, stops fast, very reliable, depreciates slowly. Only thing that could be better is gas mileage (about 25 in town, 30 on the highway in a very small car). But, it's just the car to be in on a nice day.

Keeps On Tickin'
By damdelion12 on 12/11/06 17:58 PM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This vehicle requires gasoline & synthetic oil & that's about all - I don't even wash it/last wash job was April 06. Four sets of tires. Two sets of brakes - 235,000 miles and going strong. Oh, my back windshield plastic yellowed up.

Fun in the Sun
By Doug on 05/24/06 15:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought this car for a daily driver one year ago with 100k miles. Now I'm at 115K and the only expenses have been a tuneup, new tires, and oil changes. It handles great, is fun to drive with the top down, and gets 25-30 m.p.g. Though small, it is solidly built. My son borrowed it for his Jr.-Sr. Prom, so my three kids (two teenagers and one married) like it too and occasionally ask to borrow it.

Fun to drive
By billy bronco on 08/04/05 14:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This car is a ball to drive. Its like a high power go-kart. I know the younger crowd thinks itís a girlie car but take one for a ride and you will be convinced otherwise. Iím 53 and wish I bought one a long time a go. Sticks to the road like glue, plenty of power. You feel like your going 100 miles an hour at 60 because you're so low to the ground. I donít use mine as a daily driver; kinda tough because its so small, but it can be done. My wife loves being the passenger and lately has been taking her friends out cruising! I do my own work and it is built like a little tank, indestructible and cleverly done at that. Mine is a '97 with 94K miles and runs like new, zoom zoom!

You'll Get My Miata...
By azcat on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

...when you pry my cold, dead fingers from the steering wheel. >102k miles, <$50 in unplanned maintenance, and a blast to drive. Plenty of room for two. Of >30 cars I've owned, this one is by far the best built, best running, and most fun to drive. You can't go wrong with one of these.

Holy Cow!
By japman on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This car ain't a car - it's a way of life. How many cars have owners clubs, millions of accessories, newsgroups, shows, hats & T-shirts? There is a reason. Most other Miata owners on a sunny day will pop their lights to say hi on a crowded freeway. No problems, zippy engine, european pizazz with Japanese reliability & performance. Cheap to buy, operate & maintain. Not much pretention, but you can certainly feel the jealous eyes coming from SUV's on a warm Spring day.

The little red engine that could
By imanah on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

it is my primary car and has been very good to me. Things I have learned; 1. Having it as a primary car in the Northeast is not so safe or practical. I reccomend having an alternative in the winter due to its low weight. 2. A Nice audio system and a plastic window is an invitation to have your car broken into with anything from a razor to a houshold knife. 3. People think you are rich if you have a miata, as if it was a porch :)

Capability Review
By The Fudder on 11/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I had a Corvette before buying the Miata and honestly enjoy driving the Miata much more. The only problem is long distance. Cannot sit in the Miata much more than a couple of hours. Great handling on tight curves. Performance a little weak but expected. A fun sports car.