1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Love my Miata
By SUSAN on 07/07/08 18:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

Last weekend we went to Panama City Beach in my Miata with our dog. It was great. Loved not putting my money in the gas tank. We have a Navigator that we use to travel in, it cost over $100.00 to fill it up now. Only about $42.00 to fill up the Miata and can go over 340 miles on one tank. What more could I ask for from an 11 year old car with 48,000 when I bought it.

BEST DEAL EVER
By MM on 02/26/06 05:14 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

The 97 model year marked the end of the "M1" style Miata which was first introduced in 89 as a 90 model. The 1.8L engine that this year includes provides more than enough thrust. The car shines in the curves. I have yet to drive (and I've driven a lot) a car that out handles the Miata. As the Miata grows bigger and more powerful, it loses some of it's charm that the M1 style had. The 90-93 model with the 1.6L engine and the 94-97 model with the 1.8L engine are far and away the best value and most fun you can have on four wheels. Three features missing on post 97 models are headrest speakers, pop-up head lights and chrome "finger pull" door handles. Drive it and you will never want to get out.

Sports car in its purest form
By Applan on 08/04/05 22:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

In terms of value for money in the sports car category, the Miata has no equals. It is quite simply a pure sports car. Like the British sports cars of the 70s but with excellent reliability. Other reviews have said it is lacking in performance - I'll bet that they are changing gear at under 4000 rpm. You see the Miata begs to be driven hard, you feel its power rising smoothly all the way to red line at 7000 rpm. You can absolutely throw it around corners, and it stays completely flat. Oh and don't believe it if somebody tells you it's a chick car. Take a look around and you'll see that most SUV drivers are chicks, most Miata drivers are not!

Miata STO
By Bodid on 06/12/05 19:19 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

Well I bought a 'special edition', and I love it!!! The STO version had just enough of the right stuff and not too much of the 'poofy' stuff, to make it attractive. It is totally reliable, totally fun, and good looking, even though I must admit its probably a 'chick' car (sorry). I love to autocross it and beat the Ford Mustangs, and the Cameros, and the other V8s with my little four banger. It handles incredibly well. Its a bit tight, and noisy with the cloth top, so I leave mine down most of the time. I've had MGs, Fiats, VWs, and this is the best convertible I have ever had. Would buy another in a heart beat. Life is too short to drive a mere sedan, get a convertible, and drive it

Favorite Car yet
By Kimmyroo on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

I bought my Miata in 97. My first Mazda. I researched them completely and my Miata has lived up to the reputation of being fun, quick and most of all reliable. I have never had any problems with it, only performed the normal scheduled work. 96K miles and it still has a lot of life in it! I would recommend these cars to anyone. More than that, I would buy another one in a heartbeat! Super cars!

3 year love affair
By Kiko J on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

I bought my used Miata 3 years ago and decided not to sell it when I moved from Florida to Michigan. In the snow I had my share of little problems but dringin top-down during spring/summer makes up for it and more. The Miata is an amazing car. Not only is it reliable but has a great design, I like the old box more than the new one but the new one still is cool. No problems except a failure with both the master and slave cylinder with the total cost being $400. For 3 years it ain't bad. I am torn between the RX-8 and the Mazdaspeed Miata for my next car; but I can say that Mazda delivers more performance for your buck than any other car manufacturer.

STO2GO
By roknrol on 09/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

This is a great car. I'll echo the other review about being careful of the special editions. It's too easy to become so paranoid of getting the car dinged up that you'll just keep it in the garage and admire it. However, the car must be driven to truly admire it. I had wanted a true, classic convertible for a long time, but didn't want the maintenance issues of an MG or Triumph. The Miata is the perfect answer.

Fun car to drive
By Ceasar on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

When I first walked up to the car I said, "Its so small, no way I could like this". When I got into the test drive I was sold ! The power is a bit lacking but I can not get over the handling. It is such an nice car to drive. I am planning to turbo it but stock it is GREAT.

Miata STO
By rhino1776 on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

I'm 57 years old with back sugury and was concerned with being able to drive a performance car. However, when I came across this STO Miata I thought I would give it a try. The deciding factor was the automatic transimission. The car cries out to be a stick, but I have to stay with reality concerning my back. With this in mind, the car has performed past expectations. I am just under 6' and fit just fine. The automatic it is like driving a go cart.

Big Time Fun
By cwardlaw on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

When you buy a Miata, avoid the special editions. Why? See, you'll fall in love with the car, and when you own a special edition, every little scratch, nick and ding sends you over the edge. You'll end up storing the car rather than driving it. Get a regular Miata with cloth seats and drive the hell out of it. It can take abuse with a smile.