Used 1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata STO Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Love my Miata
By SUSAN

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

Last weekend we went to Panama City Beach in my Miata with our dog. It was great. Loved not putting my money in the gas tank. We have a Navigator that we use to travel in, it cost over $100.00 to fill it up now. Only about $42.00 to fill up the Miata and can go over 340 miles on one tank. What more could I ask for from an 11 year old car with 48,000 when I bought it.

gas

BEST DEAL EVER
By MM

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

The 97 model year marked the end of the "M1" style Miata which was first introduced in 89 as a 90 model. The 1.8L engine that this year includes provides more than enough thrust. The car shines in the curves. I have yet to drive (and I've driven a lot) a car that out handles the Miata. As the Miata grows bigger and more powerful, it loses some of it's charm that the M1 style had. The 90-93 model with the 1.6L engine and the 94-97 model with the 1.8L engine are far and away the best value and most fun you can have on four wheels. Three features missing on post 97 models are headrest speakers, pop-up head lights and chrome "finger pull" door handles. Drive it and you will never want to get out.

Engine, brakes, wheels, easy drop top, headrest speakers, pop-up head lights and chrome "finger pull" door handles.

Can be a little cramped for anyone over 6 ft.

Sports car in its purest form
By Applan

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

In terms of value for money in the sports car category, the Miata has no equals. It is quite simply a pure sports car. Like the British sports cars of the 70s but with excellent reliability. Other reviews have said it is lacking in performance - I'll bet that they are changing gear at under 4000 rpm. You see the Miata begs to be driven hard, you feel its power rising smoothly all the way to red line at 7000 rpm. You can absolutely throw it around corners, and it stays completely flat. Oh and don't believe it if somebody tells you it's a chick car. Take a look around and you'll see that most SUV drivers are chicks, most Miata drivers are not!

Unbelievable handling, reliability and looks. Even the 16 year old ones still look like a new design. Good mpg.

None - it is perfect. Just go and drive one and you'll see what I mean.

Miata STO
By Bodid

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

Well I bought a 'special edition', and I love it!!! The STO version had just enough of the right stuff and not too much of the 'poofy' stuff, to make it attractive. It is totally reliable, totally fun, and good looking, even though I must admit its probably a 'chick' car (sorry). I love to autocross it and beat the Ford Mustangs, and the Cameros, and the other V8s with my little four banger. It handles incredibly well. Its a bit tight, and noisy with the cloth top, so I leave mine down most of the time. I've had MGs, Fiats, VWs, and this is the best convertible I have ever had. Would buy another in a heart beat. Life is too short to drive a mere sedan, get a convertible, and drive it

Color, wheels, stereo (in the headrests), performmance.

More HP, put back the pop-up headlights (bug-eye!)

Favorite Car yet
By Kimmyroo

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

I bought my Miata in 97. My first Mazda. I researched them completely and my Miata has lived up to the reputation of being fun, quick and most of all reliable. I have never had any problems with it, only performed the normal scheduled work. 96K miles and it still has a lot of life in it! I would recommend these cars to anyone. More than that, I would buy another one in a heartbeat! Super cars!

The way it handles, it is tight, quick, very reactive!

None.