1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Second Childhood!!
By grannycraft

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Bought my "97 in 2006. Have had more fun than I thought possible driving this car. Call it my "GrannyMobile." I use non-ethanol gas and get 32-38 mpg. It is my everyday car. Over 200,000 m and still going strong. I will probably keep 'her' until she goes to Mazda heaven. Had professional rollbars installed, gives her more solidity. Uses about 1/2 quart oil monthly, my mechanic can't find out where it is going. Chk. it weekly. Add an airscoop and a windblocker to the windshield, (when the top is down), and it keeps the low floor transm. heat out and my hat on. My granddaughters just love to ride with 'Granny' with the top down. Luv it! Luv it! Luv it!!!! ZOOM>ZOOm>ZOOM

Favorite Features

Headrest speakers. Ease of manually putting the top up and down.

Suggested Improvements

Longer lasting, better paint. (original) Better locks on the top. I have had them release and the top 'blow' down when doing over 50mph. These locks are 20 yrs old, think I might need new ones? Where do I find them??

Love My Miata
By RPE

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I have only owned my little red Miata for 3 weeks...but I love to drive the car with the top down. It is a blast. I also have a '79 MGB..but this car hugs the road, the curves unlike the MGB. It has 128,000 miles on it..but motor sounds great. The get-up-and go is much faster that my '10 Corolla automatic. We have had several hot days in April and have been able to drive it, top down. Can't wait until Summertime. Will have to sell the MGB..that was the deal with my wife..but, oh well...I have owned it for 20 years..and I guess it is time to pass it on! A buddy of mine at work just bought an '03.....drive one...you'll buy one!!!

Favorite Features

Convertible...the premium sound system..the great handling on curves...maneuverability..turns in 30 foot radium.

Suggested Improvements

None...

Update from Doug
By Update

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I have now owned the car for four-plus years and have 140k on it. I had to replace the clutch this summer. I switched to premium fuel (instead of alcohol blend) and mileage went from 25 mpg in town to 28 and runs better. Still great fun and highly recommended.

Favorite Features

Handling, top-down experience

Love my Miata
By SUSAN

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

Last weekend we went to Panama City Beach in my Miata with our dog. It was great. Loved not putting my money in the gas tank. We have a Navigator that we use to travel in, it cost over $100.00 to fill it up now. Only about $42.00 to fill up the Miata and can go over 340 miles on one tank. What more could I ask for from an 11 year old car with 48,000 when I bought it.

Favorite Features

gas

Fine Balance
By Stuart

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Owned for a bit over two years and love the car. Outstanding reliability. Finely balanced ride/handling trade off. You feel the road, but it's not punishing. A bit on the noisy side even with the hardtop. Without the hardtop, visibility is so-so to the right and left rear. The hardtop also significantly stiffens the structure. As a result, I leave mine on all of the time. The engine is adequate from a power standpoint, and is responsive to throttle inputs, revving quickly. The stock exhaust strikes a perfect balance of tone and sound level- it's an audio delight. Shift action is excellent although if not careful, a rushed 2-3 shift may bypass 3rd and snick into 5th. Excellent car.

Favorite Features

Balance between ride and handling. Comfortable interior although not large Outstanding reliability and very low maintenance. Parts readily available and reasonably priced. Adequate acceleration. Light weight.

Suggested Improvements

Could benefit from another 30 hp. Power windows too slow. Mount the spare tire under the trunk to free up space. Seats could use more side support. Slightly larger sway bars would be nice Increased chassis stiffness.

Mood Elevator
By Omaha Driver

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Take an ordinary day with time in the office, add a business trip or errand, take down the top on the Miata, and presto, instant mini-vacation. What a mood elevator. I bought the car with 100K and have added 36k over three years as my daily driver. I even drove it this winter (not recommended). Throw some sand bags in the trunk, make sure the tires are good, and be careful. Goes fast enough, stops fast, very reliable, depreciates slowly. Only thing that could be better is gas mileage (about 25 in town, 30 on the highway in a very small car). But, it's just the car to be in on a nice day.

Favorite Features

Quick release top, always first around corners.

Suggested Improvements

Make a hybrid version for people like myself who would like to have it all - sportiness and great gas mileage. I'd give up some speed for 50-60 mpg. Are you listening Mazda?

My Life Long Dream
By Love My "M"

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Had a 1967 MGB and never thought I could match the experience. My 1997 "M" Edition blows away the "B". I am the original owner and only driver of my "M". Still today stopped at a traffic light people roll down their window and say what a beautiful car. The driving experience at sundown or at night with the top down and the pipes purring is indescribable if you haven't experienced it. This is absolutely the most fun car to drive in the whole world. All the other two-seaters are "phonies" with their too-much power and comfort features. Yes the "B" was a classic never to be replaced, until the Miata, especially the last of the original breed, the 1997 "M" Edition.

Favorite Features

The leather and wheels are the best of any car on the road. The sound of the exhaust is perfect. Eight speakers in the sound system is like a symphony. Every part on my "M" is still the original equipment - in perfect condition. The short-throw on the shifter is so firm and exact!!

Suggested Improvements

More leg room - especially passenger side, my wife and I are both 6" tall and could use about 4 more inches of space. Otherwise don't change a thing!!!

Keeps On Tickin'
By damdelion12

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This vehicle requires gasoline & synthetic oil & that's about all - I don't even wash it/last wash job was April 06. Four sets of tires. Two sets of brakes - 235,000 miles and going strong. Oh, my back windshield plastic yellowed up.

Favorite Features

It's a looker.

Suggested Improvements

Windows are a bit hard going up & down.

Fun in the Sun
By Doug

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought this car for a daily driver one year ago with 100k miles. Now I'm at 115K and the only expenses have been a tuneup, new tires, and oil changes. It handles great, is fun to drive with the top down, and gets 25-30 m.p.g. Though small, it is solidly built. My son borrowed it for his Jr.-Sr. Prom, so my three kids (two teenagers and one married) like it too and occasionally ask to borrow it.

Favorite Features

Ease of lowering the top, power, handling.

Suggested Improvements

I would settle for less power and better gas mileage.

Excellent 2nd car
By Stuart

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

This is the most fun-to-drive car that I've ever had the pleasure of driving. Not especially fast, but the chassis dynamics are an excellent compromise between comfort and control. The stock exhaust provides an aural symphony as you run through the gears. To maximize acceleration, you'll need to spin it >4k rpm. Shifting is a "snick-snick" proposition with short, precise throws. Don't expect a limo ride, but it's far from punishing. Handling is excellent - balanced, with moderate roll and good feel through the wheel. Trunk space is limited; it could use a 6th gear; rear-side visibility is limited with the top up; and the car is not quiet. These are the demerits.

Favorite Features

Handling balance, engine sounds, shifting feel. Overall, this is an exceptional drivers car.

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer chassis (but <20# weight), slightly firmer roll bars, and add 20 more each hp & torque.