1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Love My Miata
By RPE on 04/21/10 07:45 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I have only owned my little red Miata for 3 weeks...but I love to drive the car with the top down. It is a blast. I also have a '79 MGB..but this car hugs the road, the curves unlike the MGB. It has 128,000 miles on it..but motor sounds great. The get-up-and go is much faster that my '10 Corolla automatic. We have had several hot days in April and have been able to drive it, top down. Can't wait until Summertime. Will have to sell the MGB..that was the deal with my wife..but, oh well...I have owned it for 20 years..and I guess it is time to pass it on! A buddy of mine at work just bought an '03.....drive one...you'll buy one!!!

Update from Doug
By Update on 10/03/08 14:35 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I have now owned the car for four-plus years and have 140k on it. I had to replace the clutch this summer. I switched to premium fuel (instead of alcohol blend) and mileage went from 25 mpg in town to 28 and runs better. Still great fun and highly recommended.

Love my Miata
By SUSAN on 07/07/08 18:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

Last weekend we went to Panama City Beach in my Miata with our dog. It was great. Loved not putting my money in the gas tank. We have a Navigator that we use to travel in, it cost over $100.00 to fill it up now. Only about $42.00 to fill up the Miata and can go over 340 miles on one tank. What more could I ask for from an 11 year old car with 48,000 when I bought it.

Fine Balance
By Stuart on 03/29/08 18:19 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Owned for a bit over two years and love the car. Outstanding reliability. Finely balanced ride/handling trade off. You feel the road, but it's not punishing. A bit on the noisy side even with the hardtop. Without the hardtop, visibility is so-so to the right and left rear. The hardtop also significantly stiffens the structure. As a result, I leave mine on all of the time. The engine is adequate from a power standpoint, and is responsive to throttle inputs, revving quickly. The stock exhaust strikes a perfect balance of tone and sound level- it's an audio delight. Shift action is excellent although if not careful, a rushed 2-3 shift may bypass 3rd and snick into 5th. Excellent car.

Mood Elevator
By Omaha Driver on 03/19/08 20:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Take an ordinary day with time in the office, add a business trip or errand, take down the top on the Miata, and presto, instant mini-vacation. What a mood elevator. I bought the car with 100K and have added 36k over three years as my daily driver. I even drove it this winter (not recommended). Throw some sand bags in the trunk, make sure the tires are good, and be careful. Goes fast enough, stops fast, very reliable, depreciates slowly. Only thing that could be better is gas mileage (about 25 in town, 30 on the highway in a very small car). But, it's just the car to be in on a nice day.

My Life Long Dream
By Love My "M" on 10/15/07 05:47 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Had a 1967 MGB and never thought I could match the experience. My 1997 "M" Edition blows away the "B". I am the original owner and only driver of my "M". Still today stopped at a traffic light people roll down their window and say what a beautiful car. The driving experience at sundown or at night with the top down and the pipes purring is indescribable if you haven't experienced it. This is absolutely the most fun car to drive in the whole world. All the other two-seaters are "phonies" with their too-much power and comfort features. Yes the "B" was a classic never to be replaced, until the Miata, especially the last of the original breed, the 1997 "M" Edition.

Keeps On Tickin'
By damdelion12 on 12/11/06 17:58 PM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This vehicle requires gasoline & synthetic oil & that's about all - I don't even wash it/last wash job was April 06. Four sets of tires. Two sets of brakes - 235,000 miles and going strong. Oh, my back windshield plastic yellowed up.

Fun in the Sun
By Doug on 05/24/06 15:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought this car for a daily driver one year ago with 100k miles. Now I'm at 115K and the only expenses have been a tuneup, new tires, and oil changes. It handles great, is fun to drive with the top down, and gets 25-30 m.p.g. Though small, it is solidly built. My son borrowed it for his Jr.-Sr. Prom, so my three kids (two teenagers and one married) like it too and occasionally ask to borrow it.

Excellent 2nd car
By Stuart on 03/18/06 07:46 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

This is the most fun-to-drive car that I've ever had the pleasure of driving. Not especially fast, but the chassis dynamics are an excellent compromise between comfort and control. The stock exhaust provides an aural symphony as you run through the gears. To maximize acceleration, you'll need to spin it >4k rpm. Shifting is a "snick-snick" proposition with short, precise throws. Don't expect a limo ride, but it's far from punishing. Handling is excellent - balanced, with moderate roll and good feel through the wheel. Trunk space is limited; it could use a 6th gear; rear-side visibility is limited with the top up; and the car is not quiet. These are the demerits.

BEST DEAL EVER
By MM on 02/26/06 05:14 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

The 97 model year marked the end of the "M1" style Miata which was first introduced in 89 as a 90 model. The 1.8L engine that this year includes provides more than enough thrust. The car shines in the curves. I have yet to drive (and I've driven a lot) a car that out handles the Miata. As the Miata grows bigger and more powerful, it loses some of it's charm that the M1 style had. The 90-93 model with the 1.6L engine and the 94-97 model with the 1.8L engine are far and away the best value and most fun you can have on four wheels. Three features missing on post 97 models are headrest speakers, pop-up head lights and chrome "finger pull" door handles. Drive it and you will never want to get out.