Used 1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Second Childhood!!
By grannycraft

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Bought my "97 in 2006. Have had more fun than I thought possible driving this car. Call it my "GrannyMobile." I use non-ethanol gas and get 32-38 mpg. It is my everyday car. Over 200,000 m and still going strong. I will probably keep 'her' until she goes to Mazda heaven. Had professional rollbars installed, gives her more solidity. Uses about 1/2 quart oil monthly, my mechanic can't find out where it is going. Chk. it weekly. Add an airscoop and a windblocker to the windshield, (when the top is down), and it keeps the low floor transm. heat out and my hat on. My granddaughters just love to ride with 'Granny' with the top down. Luv it! Luv it! Luv it!!!! ZOOM>ZOOm>ZOOM

Favorite Features

Headrest speakers. Ease of manually putting the top up and down.

Suggested Improvements

Longer lasting, better paint. (original) Better locks on the top. I have had them release and the top 'blow' down when doing over 50mph. These locks are 20 yrs old, think I might need new ones? Where do I find them??

Love My Miata
By RPE

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I have only owned my little red Miata for 3 weeks...but I love to drive the car with the top down. It is a blast. I also have a '79 MGB..but this car hugs the road, the curves unlike the MGB. It has 128,000 miles on it..but motor sounds great. The get-up-and go is much faster that my '10 Corolla automatic. We have had several hot days in April and have been able to drive it, top down. Can't wait until Summertime. Will have to sell the MGB..that was the deal with my wife..but, oh well...I have owned it for 20 years..and I guess it is time to pass it on! A buddy of mine at work just bought an '03.....drive one...you'll buy one!!!

Favorite Features

Convertible...the premium sound system..the great handling on curves...maneuverability..turns in 30 foot radium.

Suggested Improvements

None...

Fine Balance
By Stuart

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Owned for a bit over two years and love the car. Outstanding reliability. Finely balanced ride/handling trade off. You feel the road, but it's not punishing. A bit on the noisy side even with the hardtop. Without the hardtop, visibility is so-so to the right and left rear. The hardtop also significantly stiffens the structure. As a result, I leave mine on all of the time. The engine is adequate from a power standpoint, and is responsive to throttle inputs, revving quickly. The stock exhaust strikes a perfect balance of tone and sound level- it's an audio delight. Shift action is excellent although if not careful, a rushed 2-3 shift may bypass 3rd and snick into 5th. Excellent car.

Favorite Features

Balance between ride and handling. Comfortable interior although not large Outstanding reliability and very low maintenance. Parts readily available and reasonably priced. Adequate acceleration. Light weight.

Suggested Improvements

Could benefit from another 30 hp. Power windows too slow. Mount the spare tire under the trunk to free up space. Seats could use more side support. Slightly larger sway bars would be nice Increased chassis stiffness.

Update from Doug
By Update

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I have now owned the car for four-plus years and have 140k on it. I had to replace the clutch this summer. I switched to premium fuel (instead of alcohol blend) and mileage went from 25 mpg in town to 28 and runs better. Still great fun and highly recommended.

Favorite Features

Handling, top-down experience

Love my Miata
By SUSAN

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible STO 2dr Convertible

Last weekend we went to Panama City Beach in my Miata with our dog. It was great. Loved not putting my money in the gas tank. We have a Navigator that we use to travel in, it cost over $100.00 to fill it up now. Only about $42.00 to fill up the Miata and can go over 340 miles on one tank. What more could I ask for from an 11 year old car with 48,000 when I bought it.

Favorite Features

gas