Used 1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Enjoying our mid life Miata!
By fishtales6

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Always wanted one of these and finally pulled the trigger. It offers everything we could ask for - affordability, reliability, ease of maintenance, club members more than willing to offer help, advise, and elbow grease. Average 32 mpg, WAY fun to drive. Just wish I hadn't waited so long to get my NA.

Easy and cheap to maintain Peppy response, hugs the ground, stable in curves Expansive and funfilled community of Miata owners who seem more than willing to offer advice and help and comraderie.

Love My Miata
By RPE

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I have only owned my little red Miata for 3 weeks...but I love to drive the car with the top down. It is a blast. I also have a '79 MGB..but this car hugs the road, the curves unlike the MGB. It has 128,000 miles on it..but motor sounds great. The get-up-and go is much faster that my '10 Corolla automatic. We have had several hot days in April and have been able to drive it, top down. Can't wait until Summertime. Will have to sell the MGB..that was the deal with my wife..but, oh well...I have owned it for 20 years..and I guess it is time to pass it on! A buddy of mine at work just bought an '03.....drive one...you'll buy one!!!

Convertible...the premium sound system..the great handling on curves...maneuverability..turns in 30 foot radium.

None...

Update from Doug
By Update

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I have now owned the car for four-plus years and have 140k on it. I had to replace the clutch this summer. I switched to premium fuel (instead of alcohol blend) and mileage went from 25 mpg in town to 28 and runs better. Still great fun and highly recommended.

Handling, top-down experience

Mood Elevator
By Omaha Driver

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Take an ordinary day with time in the office, add a business trip or errand, take down the top on the Miata, and presto, instant mini-vacation. What a mood elevator. I bought the car with 100K and have added 36k over three years as my daily driver. I even drove it this winter (not recommended). Throw some sand bags in the trunk, make sure the tires are good, and be careful. Goes fast enough, stops fast, very reliable, depreciates slowly. Only thing that could be better is gas mileage (about 25 in town, 30 on the highway in a very small car). But, it's just the car to be in on a nice day.

Quick release top, always first around corners.

Make a hybrid version for people like myself who would like to have it all - sportiness and great gas mileage. I'd give up some speed for 50-60 mpg. Are you listening Mazda?

Keeps On Tickin'
By damdelion12

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

This vehicle requires gasoline & synthetic oil & that's about all - I don't even wash it/last wash job was April 06. Four sets of tires. Two sets of brakes - 235,000 miles and going strong. Oh, my back windshield plastic yellowed up.

It's a looker.

Windows are a bit hard going up & down.