1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Second Childhood!!
By grannycraft on 08/05/14 05:50 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Bought my "97 in 2006. Have had more fun than I thought possible driving this car. Call it my "GrannyMobile." I use non-ethanol gas and get 32-38 mpg. It is my everyday car. Over 200,000 m and still going strong. I will probably keep 'her' until she goes to Mazda heaven. Had professional rollbars installed, gives her more solidity. Uses about 1/2 quart oil monthly, my mechanic can't find out where it is going. Chk. it weekly. Add an airscoop and a windblocker to the windshield, (when the top is down), and it keeps the low floor transm. heat out and my hat on. My granddaughters just love to ride with 'Granny' with the top down. Luv it! Luv it! Luv it!!!! ZOOM>ZOOm>ZOOM

Fine Balance
By Stuart on 03/29/08 18:19 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Owned for a bit over two years and love the car. Outstanding reliability. Finely balanced ride/handling trade off. You feel the road, but it's not punishing. A bit on the noisy side even with the hardtop. Without the hardtop, visibility is so-so to the right and left rear. The hardtop also significantly stiffens the structure. As a result, I leave mine on all of the time. The engine is adequate from a power standpoint, and is responsive to throttle inputs, revving quickly. The stock exhaust strikes a perfect balance of tone and sound level- it's an audio delight. Shift action is excellent although if not careful, a rushed 2-3 shift may bypass 3rd and snick into 5th. Excellent car.

My Life Long Dream
By Love My "M" on 10/15/07 05:47 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Had a 1967 MGB and never thought I could match the experience. My 1997 "M" Edition blows away the "B". I am the original owner and only driver of my "M". Still today stopped at a traffic light people roll down their window and say what a beautiful car. The driving experience at sundown or at night with the top down and the pipes purring is indescribable if you haven't experienced it. This is absolutely the most fun car to drive in the whole world. All the other two-seaters are "phonies" with their too-much power and comfort features. Yes the "B" was a classic never to be replaced, until the Miata, especially the last of the original breed, the 1997 "M" Edition.

Excellent 2nd car
By Stuart on 03/18/06 07:46 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata M-Edition 2dr Convertible

This is the most fun-to-drive car that I've ever had the pleasure of driving. Not especially fast, but the chassis dynamics are an excellent compromise between comfort and control. The stock exhaust provides an aural symphony as you run through the gears. To maximize acceleration, you'll need to spin it >4k rpm. Shifting is a "snick-snick" proposition with short, precise throws. Don't expect a limo ride, but it's far from punishing. Handling is excellent - balanced, with moderate roll and good feel through the wheel. Trunk space is limited; it could use a 6th gear; rear-side visibility is limited with the top up; and the car is not quiet. These are the demerits.

Excellent car!
By amrsn on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata M-Edition 2dr Convertible

I got this car last year, I’ve always wanted it, and it’s even more than what I expected. It’s the most fun I’ve ever had while driving and it's a decent performer too. 8.x sec 0-60 not bad. One of the best things is that there are tons of aftermarket parts.