Used 1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Enjoying our mid life Miata!
By fishtales6

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Always wanted one of these and finally pulled the trigger. It offers everything we could ask for - affordability, reliability, ease of maintenance, club members more than willing to offer help, advise, and elbow grease. Average 32 mpg, WAY fun to drive. Just wish I hadn't waited so long to get my NA.

Easy and cheap to maintain Peppy response, hugs the ground, stable in curves Expansive and funfilled community of Miata owners who seem more than willing to offer advice and help and comraderie.

Second Childhood!!
By grannycraft

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Bought my "97 in 2006. Have had more fun than I thought possible driving this car. Call it my "GrannyMobile." I use non-ethanol gas and get 32-38 mpg. It is my everyday car. Over 200,000 m and still going strong. I will probably keep 'her' until she goes to Mazda heaven. Had professional rollbars installed, gives her more solidity. Uses about 1/2 quart oil monthly, my mechanic can't find out where it is going. Chk. it weekly. Add an airscoop and a windblocker to the windshield, (when the top is down), and it keeps the low floor transm. heat out and my hat on. My granddaughters just love to ride with 'Granny' with the top down. Luv it! Luv it! Luv it!!!! ZOOM>ZOOm>ZOOM

Headrest speakers. Ease of manually putting the top up and down.

Longer lasting, better paint. (original) Better locks on the top. I have had them release and the top 'blow' down when doing over 50mph. These locks are 20 yrs old, think I might need new ones? Where do I find them??

Love My Miata
By RPE

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I have only owned my little red Miata for 3 weeks...but I love to drive the car with the top down. It is a blast. I also have a '79 MGB..but this car hugs the road, the curves unlike the MGB. It has 128,000 miles on it..but motor sounds great. The get-up-and go is much faster that my '10 Corolla automatic. We have had several hot days in April and have been able to drive it, top down. Can't wait until Summertime. Will have to sell the MGB..that was the deal with my wife..but, oh well...I have owned it for 20 years..and I guess it is time to pass it on! A buddy of mine at work just bought an '03.....drive one...you'll buy one!!!

Convertible...the premium sound system..the great handling on curves...maneuverability..turns in 30 foot radium.

None...

Update from Doug
By Update

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I have now owned the car for four-plus years and have 140k on it. I had to replace the clutch this summer. I switched to premium fuel (instead of alcohol blend) and mileage went from 25 mpg in town to 28 and runs better. Still great fun and highly recommended.

Handling, top-down experience

Love my Miata
By SUSAN

1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata STO 2dr Convertible

Last weekend we went to Panama City Beach in my Miata with our dog. It was great. Loved not putting my money in the gas tank. We have a Navigator that we use to travel in, it cost over $100.00 to fill it up now. Only about $42.00 to fill up the Miata and can go over 340 miles on one tank. What more could I ask for from an 11 year old car with 48,000 when I bought it.

gas