Used 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

'96 funmobile
By Ken Taylor

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This is the second Miata for me; the first was a 1991 which I ran up to 125k and by accident found this one with 51k. You can't say enough about how fun these cars are to drive. The short throw shifter and overall balance make it a true treat to go to work in the morning. Quality build and ease of maintenance ensure the same ride year after year.

Favorite Features

Handling, shifting, high rev engine.

Suggested Improvements

Leave it be.

Best MG I ever had
By GrandadsFun

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Okay, It's not an MG - it's so much better but has all the things that made the MGB now sitting in the back yard attractive years ago but with added comfort, performance and reliability. Best sports car I ever owned, and there have been many.

Favorite Features

Auto Level sound system; cornering; FUEL ECONOMY; easy to use top.

Suggested Improvements

Sorry, I can't think of a thing I'd change!

Makes Me Smile
By Capt. Joe

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This car make me smile every time I drive it. Wanted one for quite a while and a year ago found one in good shape cheap. Customized some of the exterior and put her up for the winter. Changed the oil and put a new battery in this spring. I am middle aged and had MG, Fiat, Triumph etc. convertibles from the 60's and 70's. Miata MX-5 has all the best characteristics and traits of all these cars with none of the problems. Starts, runs, super reliable, no electrical problems when it rains. Top super easy to use. Great exhaust note. Winds easily to 6500 rpm and get 27 mpg when you beat on it. Don't buy this car with a auto transmission. Quick fun to drive. My wife and I are reliving out youth.

Favorite Features

Crisp handling. Nice exhaust note. Easy opening top. Wind in your hair excitement.

Suggested Improvements

Wouldn't change a thing except buy a newer one.

Dream come true!
By Moptop411

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I just bought my '96 Miata a month ago and I am just loving the fun. it is everything people say it is. It is the most fun drive I have had the pleasure of taking. The clutch is light, the gearbox is smooth and the handling is impeccable. It does take a lil skill to drive ... it is easy to over steer and 180. But nothing beats cruising with the top down and darting nimbly around traffic. I have wanted this car for a long time and I am so happy I have her!

Favorite Features

Tight handling, surprisingly quick, lightweight, small dimensions, easy drop top, flip lights, low profile, gorgeous looks ... and trust me people notice, easy shifting, an all around fun ride!

Suggested Improvements

As every one says more power couldn't hurt but as I expected that is easily remedied if you have the means for aftermarket parts, and the manual top it too hard to put up from inside the car.

Update
By jdowmiller

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This review is an update from one I wrote a couple years ago. This MX-5 continues to hold up well. I finally made my first repair at 110,000 miles. The slave cylinder needed to be replaced. According to other owners, this is a fairly common repair at around 100,000 miles. I replaced the 7 year old top but that was a personal choice - not totally necessary. Otherwise, no issues. I'm still on the original springs and shocks and it STILL performs better than nearly any car on the road. My one criticism is that, over the years, I've concluded that this car's full potential cannot be realized in daily driving. Thus, the car is rendered nearly useless. A more appropriate convertible might be a Jeep.

Favorite Features

The car is unfailingly reliable. Its handling ability per dollar is legendary. The interior design may be dated but that only adds to it's "vintage" appeal. With the top up, the exterior lines are beautiful. The top, by the way, is a one-hand deal - super simple.

Suggested Improvements

None. Like above, though, I am saddened by the fact that this car, like all sports cars, is useless for anything other than track use.