1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
'96 funmobile
By Ken Taylor on 10/26/05 12:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This is the second Miata for me; the first was a 1991 which I ran up to 125k and by accident found this one with 51k. You can't say enough about how fun these cars are to drive. The short throw shifter and overall balance make it a true treat to go to work in the morning. Quality build and ease of maintenance ensure the same ride year after year.

Best MG I ever had
By GrandadsFun on 10/24/05 16:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Okay, It's not an MG - it's so much better but has all the things that made the MGB now sitting in the back yard attractive years ago but with added comfort, performance and reliability. Best sports car I ever owned, and there have been many.

Makes Me Smile
By Capt. Joe on 10/04/05 19:29 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This car make me smile every time I drive it. Wanted one for quite a while and a year ago found one in good shape cheap. Customized some of the exterior and put her up for the winter. Changed the oil and put a new battery in this spring. I am middle aged and had MG, Fiat, Triumph etc. convertibles from the 60's and 70's. Miata MX-5 has all the best characteristics and traits of all these cars with none of the problems. Starts, runs, super reliable, no electrical problems when it rains. Top super easy to use. Great exhaust note. Winds easily to 6500 rpm and get 27 mpg when you beat on it. Don't buy this car with a auto transmission. Quick fun to drive. My wife and I are reliving out youth.

Dream come true!
By Moptop411 on 09/21/05 03:51 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I just bought my '96 Miata a month ago and I am just loving the fun. it is everything people say it is. It is the most fun drive I have had the pleasure of taking. The clutch is light, the gearbox is smooth and the handling is impeccable. It does take a lil skill to drive ... it is easy to over steer and 180. But nothing beats cruising with the top down and darting nimbly around traffic. I have wanted this car for a long time and I am so happy I have her!

Update
By jdowmiller on 02/13/05 13:14 PM (PST)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This review is an update from one I wrote a couple years ago. This MX-5 continues to hold up well. I finally made my first repair at 110,000 miles. The slave cylinder needed to be replaced. According to other owners, this is a fairly common repair at around 100,000 miles. I replaced the 7 year old top but that was a personal choice - not totally necessary. Otherwise, no issues. I'm still on the original springs and shocks and it STILL performs better than nearly any car on the road. My one criticism is that, over the years, I've concluded that this car's full potential cannot be realized in daily driving. Thus, the car is rendered nearly useless. A more appropriate convertible might be a Jeep.

Fun Little Car
By Eric H on 06/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

I sold my Cobra replica last year and was looking to get a little two seat roadster for commuting instead of just cruzing. I needed a cheap two seat roadster that got good mileage and was reliable. My search brought me to the miata which was not an enthusiastic choice at first. Upon purchasing this car I have found it to be the best of all worlds in that it is very affordable, peppy and killer in the curves, very reliable, and maintains about 30mpg. It is a fun car that I can drive all the time! instead of parking next to it during the week and hopeing that I can drive it this weekend if the weather is good.

The most fun car I have ever driven!
By Tyler Gaudioso on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I worked as a valet parker for a year and a half, and I've driven anything you can think of. Ferrari. Porsche. Aston Martin. Mercedes. BMW. Name it. The bottom line? The Miata is more fun to drive. I wanted one for 2 years before finally finding the perfect car. I've had it for 6 months now, and everything is working as it has since I bought it. Crisp handling, that x-factor 'oneness' you feel, powerful braking. The Miata has them all and then some.

Hidden gem
By Michael Cleveland on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car from my in-laws who were having a baby and ditched the car for a station wagon. I never imagined myself owning a Miata. After one week of test driving, it had me hooked and I bought it enthusiastically. You can't find a comparable car in this price range. It has plenty of pick-up and hugs the curves like it's on rails. Haven't regretted my decision for a second.

Exclent car
By justnoam on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Excelent car. Fun to drive.

Could not be better
By Eli porat on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I just like it. My wife wonder who i love more? Ofcourse the Miata... She will never let me down.