Used 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata M-Edition Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

The best sports car ever made!
By Cara Mia

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

I have owned a '96 Miata M-Edition for 6 years. I LOVE THIS CAR! With 64,000 miles it has never had a single mechanical issue. It gets great mileage, about 30 MPG average. It is amazingly quick with responsive handling and is absolute FUN! I have driven MGs, Triumphs, and even BMW Z-3s, and this car out drives them all. I also think the $$$ value rating is way too low - but then that may be why they are so popular... you get a car that is worth way more then you pay for it.

RELIABILITY - is the #1 feature of this great little car. No other car of this type is as reliable...or FUN!

There is a way to mount the spare tire under the car to give it more trunk space. I recommend trying this, or getting a tire repair kit, as the trunk is just too small.

More Fun Than My 500SL
By RichTampa

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

I like convertibles. Take that back, I LOVE convertibles. My last two where a Caddy Allante and a Mercedes 500 SL, respectively. They were both big, gas guzzling V8 powered "sports cars"... neither one could come close to the providing the day-to-day fun of my new Mazda Miata. I did my research. These cars are bullet-proof; something my high-line roadsters lacked. I am 6'5" and fit fine inside the car, a tad cramped on longer runs, but fine for under 100 mile trips. Bottom line ... if you are looking for a reliable, safe (dual air bags & aftermarket roll bars), economical and is a blast to drive and be seen in, your search is over. I bought mine 70+k in great shape for under $5k. I LOVE IT.

Handling, economy, ragtop. Miata clubs and add-ons available online.

It's the right mix of sport and durability...ok, maybe the whole cupholder thingy for my wife (may install an aftermarket upgrade I have seen online).

Best MG I ever had
By GrandadsFun

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

Okay, It's not an MG - it's so much better but has all the things that made the MGB now sitting in the back yard attractive years ago but with added comfort, performance and reliability. Best sports car I ever owned, and there have been many.

Auto Level sound system; cornering; FUEL ECONOMY; easy to use top.

Sorry, I can't think of a thing I'd change!

Fun Little Car
By Eric H

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

I sold my Cobra replica last year and was looking to get a little two seat roadster for commuting instead of just cruzing. I needed a cheap two seat roadster that got good mileage and was reliable. My search brought me to the miata which was not an enthusiastic choice at first. Upon purchasing this car I have found it to be the best of all worlds in that it is very affordable, peppy and killer in the curves, very reliable, and maintains about 30mpg. It is a fun car that I can drive all the time! instead of parking next to it during the week and hopeing that I can drive it this weekend if the weather is good.

Headrest speakers (cheesy but I still love them), Handling (second to none), both sport and economy!

The drivers seat is too high or the windshield is too short! I am 6' and I have to duck to see streetlights. The top of the windshield is nearly blocking my view of the road. The rear view mirror totally blocks my sight of that section of the road.

Hidden gem
By Michael Cleveland

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible M-Edition 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car from my in-laws who were having a baby and ditched the car for a station wagon. I never imagined myself owning a Miata. After one week of test driving, it had me hooked and I bought it enthusiastically. You can't find a comparable car in this price range. It has plenty of pick-up and hugs the curves like it's on rails. Haven't regretted my decision for a second.

Well balanced. Has excellent handling. More than adequate acceleration in traffic and on the interstate.

The worst feature is the cup holder, which is in the middle console and interferes with the driver's ability to shift. I have a custom cup holder which is on the passenger seat side of the console.