Used 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

The most fun you'll have with your pants on!
By beatnikbettie

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought my 96 Miata two years ago. In good running condition with I’m assuming 120K. Since then she has been across state lines, driven 103 MPH down deserted highways, been my daily driver and is the closest to heaven I’ve ever been I am not good at maintaining my cars, I forget until something goes wrong. She’s had an oil link since I bought her and once in a while she ends up bone dry and ticky but as soon as I add oil she’s right as rain. The speedo cable squeals..not a big deal. all in all she still runs like a powerhorse roadster should, has saved my life with epic handling. I'll never own anything but a Miata. ever.

reliability, styling, longevity with low maintenance, fast and amazing handling.

cup holder behind the stick shift is pretty stupid but Ive adapted quickly, what is up with those back plastic windows? better shocks, the oil gauge is completely useless and the seats could be a tad more comfy. i have a base model, I bet the fancier models are amazing.

Excellent car poor man bmw z3
By darniz0909

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

i think for the price i paid i got a great value i loved the stick shift experience

More fun than a Boxster!
By Chris

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Yep, you read that right! My previous car was a '98 Boxster. The Porsche was superior in almost every way, except I enjoy driving the Miata EVEN MORE! Handling is second only to the Lotus Elise, on par with an S2000, and better than the Boxster, for a fraction of the cost to buy and maintain. You just can't go wrong with this car.

Manual top goes down in 2 seconds; I like that better than powered. Manual transmission is the definition of perfection. However, I think my favorite feature is the gas pedal.

My suggestion to the prospective owner is to buy dedicated winter tires for the winter months. You'll thank me later. This car is pretty loud with the top up, lots of road/tire noise.

Best toy car in the world
By JJ

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Bought my white Miata w/140k miles on eBay. Excellent chassis. You wouldn't have a clue as in what a "good handling car" is like, unless you drive a Miata. Very forgiving near limits - gives you plenty of warning before it gives up. The car tries real hard to do whatever you are commanding it to do, and performs very well. Miata is nothing short of purebred sports car, designed from ground up to be impractical in all other aspect other than getting from A to B in the most exhilarating way. Underpowered, but don't afraid to rev it up to 5000+ rpm. The car soars when you push it hard. 27 MPG in abusive driving.

Delightfully balanced chassis and driving characters. Relatively good MPG. Designed with top notch reliability + easy maintenance. Cheap parts. Lots of knowledge on WWW - there are answers to just about all problems you can have in a used Miata.

Nothing really. Need room? Camry. Need 5 seater? Camry. Quiet Comfortable ride? Camry. No brainer transportation? Camry. As a 2nd car, Miata is nearly perfect!!

From Costco to Autocross
By MX5inSac

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I was only looking for a small manual transmission car to get out of the boredom of minivan, and bought a 1996 Miata. This little car surprised me in many ways. I didn't know that I had petrol in my blood before! The Miata is slow by the number, but fast once the road starts to curve. The handling capability surpasses my comfort zone, which is why I start to autocross to appreciate this fine roadster more. Needless to mention, one can turbocharge a Miata to get 200+ HP without harming the engine (which was designed to be turbocharged). It is also a practical car. I go to Costco in the Miata, and seldom need to put anything in the front seat. Try that with a Boxster or MR2!

High revving engine (in its time). Styling of the NA (esp. the flip-up lights!). Simplistic cockpit. Short shifter. Superior and forgiving handling. Size (I love little cars). Reliability. Inexpensive tires. Room for turbocharging. Cost.