1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
The most fun you'll have with your pants on!
By beatnikbettie on 06/11/13 18:31 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought my 96 Miata two years ago. In good running condition with I’m assuming 120K. Since then she has been across state lines, driven 103 MPH down deserted highways, been my daily driver and is the closest to heaven I’ve ever been I am not good at maintaining my cars, I forget until something goes wrong. She’s had an oil link since I bought her and once in a while she ends up bone dry and ticky but as soon as I add oil she’s right as rain. The speedo cable squeals..not a big deal. all in all she still runs like a powerhorse roadster should, has saved my life with epic handling. I'll never own anything but a Miata. ever.

Excellent car poor man bmw z3
By darniz0909 on 06/06/12 11:58 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

i think for the price i paid i got a great value i loved the stick shift experience

More fun than a Boxster!
By Chris on 06/15/09 09:57 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Yep, you read that right! My previous car was a '98 Boxster. The Porsche was superior in almost every way, except I enjoy driving the Miata EVEN MORE! Handling is second only to the Lotus Elise, on par with an S2000, and better than the Boxster, for a fraction of the cost to buy and maintain. You just can't go wrong with this car.

Best toy car in the world
By JJ on 07/07/08 10:28 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Bought my white Miata w/140k miles on eBay. Excellent chassis. You wouldn't have a clue as in what a "good handling car" is like, unless you drive a Miata. Very forgiving near limits - gives you plenty of warning before it gives up. The car tries real hard to do whatever you are commanding it to do, and performs very well. Miata is nothing short of purebred sports car, designed from ground up to be impractical in all other aspect other than getting from A to B in the most exhilarating way. Underpowered, but don't afraid to rev it up to 5000+ rpm. The car soars when you push it hard. 27 MPG in abusive driving.

From Costco to Autocross
By MX5inSac on 12/25/07 23:19 PM (PST)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I was only looking for a small manual transmission car to get out of the boredom of minivan, and bought a 1996 Miata. This little car surprised me in many ways. I didn't know that I had petrol in my blood before! The Miata is slow by the number, but fast once the road starts to curve. The handling capability surpasses my comfort zone, which is why I start to autocross to appreciate this fine roadster more. Needless to mention, one can turbocharge a Miata to get 200+ HP without harming the engine (which was designed to be turbocharged). It is also a practical car. I go to Costco in the Miata, and seldom need to put anything in the front seat. Try that with a Boxster or MR2!

Miata... a blast for the bucks
By Bill on 09/03/07 11:04 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I've owned other roadsters, but the Miata is a blast for the bucks. After driving a Triumph Spitfire and an MGB, the Miata is like a high dollar exotic sports car. It will get up and go if you know how to drive it (keep your rpms up, kind of like driving a small displacement sports bike). The motor is smooth and I've never been in a car that connects you to the road like this one! No complaints, best toy I've ever had. I've been walking around smiling and humming the "zoom, zoom, zoom" song since the day I bought it. It's an absolute blast.

Inexpensive, fun and make a statement
By mx5fan on 04/05/07 22:21 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

This is one fun car to drive, even stock. With aftermarket items (shocks, springs, etc.), it is even better! Although the EPA gas mileage is 29 MPG on the highway (for 1996), I get 34 to 36 MPG on the highway. Combined with the reliability of all Miatas, the cost of ownership is very affordable. Note that this is not a fast car. Even my 04 minivan can out run the 96 Miata on a straight road (0-60). However, the Miata has much more handling than speed, making it a fine canyon carver, autocrosser or city zip-zapper. If you enjoy modifying cars for appearance or performance, the first generation Miata has plenty of mod options. I'd spend the money on maintenance, tires and gas, though.

The best sports car ever made!
By Cara Mia on 10/16/06 06:49 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata M-Edition 2dr Convertible

I have owned a '96 Miata M-Edition for 6 years. I LOVE THIS CAR! With 64,000 miles it has never had a single mechanical issue. It gets great mileage, about 30 MPG average. It is amazingly quick with responsive handling and is absolute FUN! I have driven MGs, Triumphs, and even BMW Z-3s, and this car out drives them all. I also think the $$$ value rating is way too low - but then that may be why they are so popular... you get a car that is worth way more then you pay for it.

More Fun Than My 500SL
By RichTampa on 05/21/06 06:27 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata M-Edition 2dr Convertible

I like convertibles. Take that back, I LOVE convertibles. My last two where a Caddy Allante and a Mercedes 500 SL, respectively. They were both big, gas guzzling V8 powered "sports cars"... neither one could come close to the providing the day-to-day fun of my new Mazda Miata. I did my research. These cars are bullet-proof; something my high-line roadsters lacked. I am 6'5" and fit fine inside the car, a tad cramped on longer runs, but fine for under 100 mile trips. Bottom line ... if you are looking for a reliable, safe (dual air bags & aftermarket roll bars), economical and is a blast to drive and be seen in, your search is over. I bought mine 70+k in great shape for under $5k. I LOVE IT.

Enjoy my Miata
By Glenn on 01/25/06 13:21 PM (PST)

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I enjoy my Miata very much. I used to drive short distances to work and it was my primary car but since I do heavy interstate driving now I have purchased a larger car ... feel safer when trucks and SUV's are racing by. Love to drive it to the beach with the top down. Excellent quality, have never had any problems with it. Plan to keep it for many years. From an enjoyment, reliability point of view I rate it highly. My only concern was driving the Miata in heavy, fast-moving traffic from a "feeling safe" point of view. You don't get the respect that a larger car demands from other drivers on the highway when driving a smaller car.