Used 1995 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Old dog still hunts!
By M2

1995 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

The Miata and I became acquainted in the early spring last year. I immediately fell in love. There have not been any mechanical breakdowns on this high mileage machine (198,000 so far). I have added a few inexpensive handling improvements (lowered shocks/springs, strut bar, sway bars front and rear, and new performance tires). These have brought the car alive! There have been a few more reconditioning items that I have added to make the ride more enjoyable but this car although not fast handles the mountains around here like nothing else! Lots of fun to be had while still doing less than jail worthy speeds. I love the old Miata.

Favorite Features

My favorite thing...? Everything, from the handling to the whole open top driving experience. This is a fun car that can be lived with. I have made many a Wal-Mart trip with it.

Suggested Improvements

To make my car better for me I have done the following, 1" lowering shocks and springs Front strut tower brace Front and rear sway bars K&N cold air intake Short shift kit with new bushings double hoop roll (style) bar Drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads. This cost about $700 and worth it!

I Love my car!!!!!!!!!
By RDLundy

1995 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Her name is Whitney and she is beauty! I have loved her from the first time I saw her! She is fun to drive and just my size! For years my sisters (All drive large cars) have questioned my decision not to buy another cars. 1. Theres no need! Whitney provides everything I want in a car. 2. Gas is too damn high! I get 27 miles to the gallon! 3. When we all get together, my car is left at home. Only two seats so not good for carpools or designated driving! 4. NO CAR PAYMENT FOR MORE THAN 10 YEARS! Need I say more?

Favorite Features

Its sexy like me!

Suggested Improvements

A little more power!

Lotsa Miles
By Andy

1995 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Fun and reliable car. Averaged about 30mpg in combined city/highway driving. Regular gas. The interior is a bit cramped if you have long legs. The cigarette lighter may hit your knee. I have put about 130k miles on this car. It still has the original front suspension components, alternator and many other components. I only had problems (initially) with the clutch pump and head gasket. After their replacement - at about 100k miles - I've had no further problems with these items. Very reliable and fun car. Highly recommended. I just bought a 2001 model to replace this one. You'll love this car.

Favorite Features

Handling. Gas mileage. Appearance. Reliability. Pep - there are a lot of faster cares out there but the Miata still has plenty of kick.

Suggested Improvements

The factory model doesn't come with a cd player - only a tape player.

Nothing like a go-kart on steroids
By Themisfitjoe

1995 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

My baby, my first car. And what more can I say that hasn't been said. If you're a young male owner many people will criticize you for maintaining possession of the car, but do not heed their words. Most stock cars don't corner like a Miata, and with such little weight the car is very nimble. I've had this car for just over 3 years now, and it won't be my last, but I do plan on keeping my baby for awhile, because it's so much fun to drive, especially in sunny Florida. And though the RX-7 and others are better at it, drifting in this car is still lots of fun, at sponsored Drift Days. One downside is that it is a pain to work on, and at least mine breaks down often, but it is 13+ y.o

Favorite Features

I <3 the manual transmission. It's naturally a short shifter, and its just a good feeling. It grips, and you can tell when it does. I personally hate the newer clutches that you can't feel when the transmission engages.

Suggested Improvements

Best improvement for this model year is a new set of wheels and suspension. It is hard to find the R14 185/60s sometimes. Another good addition to the car is a nice roll bar. Every Miata owner at some part of his ownership should go to a sponsored track and enjoy the full potential of the Miata.

Simply Perfect
By Dr. Drift

1995 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I had a car similar to the Miata before I actually bought one and the difference is incredible. Nothing compares to this car! It's an incredible performer, it's very easy to work on in your own driveway, and its reliability is outstanding. I didn't know much about working on cars before I bought my Miata; but, soon after, I'm pretty handy and do a lot of maintenance and improvements myself. This car makes you want to learn about working on cars. The aftermarket support is great and provides pretty much every type of upgrade or accessory you could think of. I don't know if I'll ever own anything except Miatas. Well, when I have kids I might get a sedan, but the Miata will stay in the garage.

Favorite Features

The handling is superb. The independent suspension is fully adjustable and can be tuned to your specific needs. The engine is rock solid and the entire vehicle is very easy to work on if you're a weekend mechanic. There are lots of guides and support out there, so you're never alone.