1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Fantastic car that is very fun to drive.
By face60 on 08/01/14 16:28 PM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 91 Miata MX5 a year ago with 89,000 miles on it. My intentions where to restore the car within a reasonable budget and this has been accomplished. I had new front custom bumper added with new driver side fender, and trim mold plate in the rear replaced. I also had new timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, spark plug wires, front and rear axle, cv joints, upper and lower bearings replaced, radiator flushed, and painted As well as a new canvas soft top, Bluetooth radio, new seats and interior trim replaced. My total with the purchase of the vehicle came to $3,800 give or take a few dollars. The car is now mechanically and aesthetically sound for a very reasonable amount.

After owning it for 20 years, still a great car!
By wmshub on 01/27/11 11:05 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

In 1991, fresh out of college, I bought a Miata. I figured that I may be married with kids when I buy my next car, so this was my one chance to buy an impractical sportscar. I test drove a bunch, the Miata wasn't the fastest but it was easily the most fun to drive, so that was that. It's been a great car! Not only has it been a lot of fun, with great handling and a peppy feel, but it's been incredibly reliable. Other than regular maintenance, the only problem has been a replacement of the clutch cylinders. Now here I am, 20 years later, this is still the only car I've ever owned and it's running strong.

Nice Sport Car!
By Angelo on 10/17/08 19:58 PM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Bought this Miata with 72k miles to drive around instead of my gas guzzling truck. Wow, this little car is fun! Great performer, solid, almost bullet proof. I did so minor stuff like changing the tires, changing the original shocks, a new valve cover gasket and a new rubber boot for the shifter. These were all normal maintenance items and I have to say that the car runs like new. I previously owned a 2004 Honda S2000 and that was one nice roadster. This Miata does not fall too behind the S2000 and it only cost me $4.000. What a deal, it is so much fun, I am keeping it!

Money well spent So much Fun to Drive!
By Sean on 10/12/06 00:01 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Now I know why the other reviews were so high. I just bought a 91 Miata 2 weeks ago It was in perfect condition It has 81k miles average of about 5500 miles per year. I paid $3800. It is so fun to drive and handles great. Just like driving a go-cart. The inside and outside of the car looks new. It had new tires and rims put on. The timing belts done. New top with glass window. Momo steering wheel. Short shifter. I plan on keeping this car for awhile. I constantly want to drive somewhere. My last car was a Benz C220 and I don't miss it at all.

Review of my Miata
By helena kerfoot on 05/11/06 19:12 PM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car with 8500 miles on it. It has been garage kept in Florida. I only drive it when I come to my home in Florida. I have approximately 27,000 miles on it at this time. I have had new tires put on the car since I have had it and last year put in an 8 year battery. The car was serviced by a garage and it needs to have the electrical system checked, as after their checkup, I no longer am able to play the radio or my tapes. It is used primarily for trips to the grocery store and/or classes that I take once a week.

Fun, Fun, Fun
By Mike on 02/10/06 13:46 PM (PST)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car in Oct. '05 for $4700.00 with only 27,000 miles on the clock. It was in perfect condition having been kept in a garage under a car cover. I did not realize what a great deal I got until I drove it for a while. Plenty of pep and it handles like a dream. The more curves in the road, the better it handles. When I am through with this one, and that may be a long time, I will definitely get another Miata.

No regrets
By Michael on 10/18/05 18:22 PM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This is a great car that has held up great, too. Some fading of paint on the side mirrors, but that's it. Still runs like a champ and has never given me a problem. I'll likely by another one in a few years.

God Allow's U-Turns
By My Baby on 08/12/05 00:26 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

After finally getting the kid's grown, my Miata was my Mother's Day gift from my husband...no car seats allowed. I just love it...she handles well...zips around curves without hesitation...and out-shows those many years younger than her. She made a 400 mile round trip on a little over a half tank of gas (about 6 gallons)...who could ask for more? She's a real head-turner at church, at the kid's schools, in the park, or on the road.

91 miata
By shep on 06/09/05 09:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Was purchased in 94 for 4k. Had 122k miles. Great fun to drive with the top up or down. Started in the winter with no problems. Has a great heater and a/c. Standard shift that is smooth and easy. I just change the oil at 3k miles. No repairs needed, except for a new battery. I get 35 miles on the highway. Combined with low depreciation and fun driving, you cant beat it.

mg revisited
By '47 boomer on 05/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

The kids are grown. Now it's time for a summer play car. Far better than '67 MG of my past. 1991 red w/ alloy wheels. Bought w/ 52,000 miles. Good looking, fun to drive, seems reliable (tho I've only owned it a short time). Hope to keep this car for many years and give it to my daughter when we're done with it. A blast to drive.