1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Fantastic car that is very fun to drive.
By face60 on 08/01/14 16:28 PM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 91 Miata MX5 a year ago with 89,000 miles on it. My intentions where to restore the car within a reasonable budget and this has been accomplished. I had new front custom bumper added with new driver side fender, and trim mold plate in the rear replaced. I also had new timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, spark plug wires, front and rear axle, cv joints, upper and lower bearings replaced, radiator flushed, and painted As well as a new canvas soft top, Bluetooth radio, new seats and interior trim replaced. My total with the purchase of the vehicle came to $3,800 give or take a few dollars. The car is now mechanically and aesthetically sound for a very reasonable amount.

After owning it for 20 years, still a great car!
By wmshub on 01/27/11 11:05 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

In 1991, fresh out of college, I bought a Miata. I figured that I may be married with kids when I buy my next car, so this was my one chance to buy an impractical sportscar. I test drove a bunch, the Miata wasn't the fastest but it was easily the most fun to drive, so that was that. It's been a great car! Not only has it been a lot of fun, with great handling and a peppy feel, but it's been incredibly reliable. Other than regular maintenance, the only problem has been a replacement of the clutch cylinders. Now here I am, 20 years later, this is still the only car I've ever owned and it's running strong.

Nice Sport Car!
By Angelo on 10/17/08 19:58 PM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Bought this Miata with 72k miles to drive around instead of my gas guzzling truck. Wow, this little car is fun! Great performer, solid, almost bullet proof. I did so minor stuff like changing the tires, changing the original shocks, a new valve cover gasket and a new rubber boot for the shifter. These were all normal maintenance items and I have to say that the car runs like new. I previously owned a 2004 Honda S2000 and that was one nice roadster. This Miata does not fall too behind the S2000 and it only cost me $4.000. What a deal, it is so much fun, I am keeping it!

God Allow's U-Turns
By My Baby on 08/12/05 00:26 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

After finally getting the kid's grown, my Miata was my Mother's Day gift from my husband...no car seats allowed. I just love it...she handles well...zips around curves without hesitation...and out-shows those many years younger than her. She made a 400 mile round trip on a little over a half tank of gas (about 6 gallons)...who could ask for more? She's a real head-turner at church, at the kid's schools, in the park, or on the road.

91 miata
By shep on 06/09/05 09:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

Was purchased in 94 for 4k. Had 122k miles. Great fun to drive with the top up or down. Started in the winter with no problems. Has a great heater and a/c. Standard shift that is smooth and easy. I just change the oil at 3k miles. No repairs needed, except for a new battery. I get 35 miles on the highway. Combined with low depreciation and fun driving, you cant beat it.

Fun 2 Drive Fast
By Big Lake on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

This car turns more heads then any other car ive driven.

Just purchased this car on 2-25-03
By emmerson@charter.net on 03/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I just purchased this car on 2-25-03 and from what I've driven it, I know that it will stay with me for some time to come. It has 126,418 miles on it, but from looking at the reviews, it looks like I'll be using this car from some time to come! Although it is a '91, it has a new top and paint job, which makes it really appealing to look at. The handling is GREAT...point and go! I cannot think on any way to improve on the fun. I'm looking at finding a MIATA club here in Ringgold, Georgia--help. I know I made a good purchase for my $4200.00 bucks.

My best car ever
By PatrickH on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

I have owned my 91 Miata since new and 183,000 miles later its still running like a dream. In all that time the only non maintenance items it has needed are some new plug leads, a couple of oil seals on the front of engine and the exhaust heatshield rebalanced. It still burns no oil. Handling has always been great and I recently added some Michelin Pilots which made it even better. Running costs are phenominally low. Great gas mileage, brakes and tires last for ever.

A Blast!
By Novot on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

The MX-5 spawned a true revolution in the automotive world, and has since gone on to become the best selling 2 seater ever -- and no wonder! This car is ridiculously fun to drive. You point it, and it goes! A tiny bit of driver induced oversteer will make it spin and zip right where you want it to go. Great fuel economy and superb reliability -- even in mine, which was burning a tiny bit of oil more than a year and a half ago when I first got it. Despite the abuse I've heaped upon it, it is still running strong.

Used Miata's, Cheap & Reliable FUN!!
By CatiaBear on 06/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible

In a past relationship I found myself always making excuses to take HER car (an early '90s Miata) on dates. Sometimes I had MUCH more fun with the car than with the girlfriend!! She is long gone, & I really began to miss.....THE MIATA!! BUT I'm not one who fears a commitment, so I finally bought an early model Miata of my own!! :-) I have owned many sports cars in the past (most costing MUCH more), but I can't remember having this much fun for the buck!! My '91 white Roadster has only 74K miles on it, but while shopping for this one I saw many others with 150K to 200K miles that were still running strong. GREAT CARS!! "Zoom, zoom, zoom!!" -Bear-