1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Review: the most amazing car I've ever

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Review

Base Convertible (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

the most amazing car I've ever owned
By frank1330 on

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Bought this car when it first came out in 1990. Visibility blows away all current convertibles - downside, no roll bar. This car cost me next to nothing in repairs, and was basically unkillable. At around 12 years of age the dealer told me I blew the head gasket (untrue) so I figured I'll just drive it till it drops. Nine plus years later, still going strong. I put low miles on it, so I couldda kept it, but my job changed and exposed this car's only flaw - rear wheel drive makes it a challenge in the snow - although not too bad with 4 snows and 50 lbs sand in trunk. my office is no longer accessible by rail, so I bought a mini cooper convert. Figured almost 20 yrs was time for a change.

Short throw stick shift. Manual Convertible drop top really harkens back to the glory days of the British convertibles - only ridiculously reliable!

Not a single one. I guess maybe a roll bar - but it would ruin the rear visibility. The new Miata has every improvement you could imagine. Hopefully it's still built just as well.