Used 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (58 reviews )

Sixteen years, no problems
By Zaddie Bob

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

As an original owner of one of the first cars off the first boat I expected some design/build problems. To date no major problems, especially since the three teenagers got their own cars. All learned to drive stick and still try to "borrow" their Father's car. Original top and interior, looks almost as good as new. Driven in all seasons except "salt," often with the top down. The car sits outside all winter under a cover and starts reliably even after four weeks with sub-zero temperatures. Average yearly maint. now runs around $150 including tires.

Fun! Still get stopped by people who want to talk about how much they like the car. Great design, very well built. The newer designs are a little less "pure" and drive better unless you like the feel of older British sports cars.

Never shift in the apex of a turn, or while turning on a slippery surface unless you have really good reflexes and car control. If I thought it could be improved I would have traded for a newer year.

best buy of my life
By hobie237

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought this car after wanting one for 4 years, and it was the best purchase of my life... even with the high mileage, the car looks and drives wonderfully, and i still have yet to go past 6000 rpm...

absolutely none

WOW
By Atl Dave

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Bought it used from the 2nd lady owner. WOW what a great little car. Red paint a little faded in spots, but this car is bullet proof. My mechanic wants it. The camshaft problem for 90-91 modles has not surfaced at all @ 98,000 miles. It's a 3rd car for us and it's just what we need. (and want)

Fun to drive. Tight feeling after almost 15 years. Headrest speakers.

None.

great little sportscar
By bohughflor

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I've had this car since 1990 and it has really been driven especially in the first 8-10 years. Never had any major repairs or problems except having to replace roof after 10 years. Alot of fun to drive with a great manual transmission. I'm 6'2" and I always felt comfortable in the drivers seat.

excellent handling; great stick-shift; convertible roof very easy to take down and put up

more power would be nice; change position of emergency brake

AWesome Car
By kerby

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

THE CAR DRIVES GREAT AND THE ALTERNATOR ON THIS CERTAIN WAS THE ORIGIONAL ONE FROM THE FACTORY (14 YEARS OLD!) IT FAILED THOUGH BUT IF IT LAST THIS LONG THIS CAR SHOULD GO ON FOR ANOTHER 14 YEARS! THE CAR DRIVES AND HANDLES GREAT. IM 6'2 AND IM MORE COMFORTABLE IN IT THAN IN A 4 DOOR SEDAN. ONCE AGAIN "ITS AN AWESOME CAR"

HANDLING,FEEL AND ITS A CONVERTIBLE