1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Review: 1990 Miata

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Review

1990 Miata
By Micah Berry on

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

My dad bought this car new in late 1989 during "Miata mania." Car ran like a champ. Great handling car. I bought the car from him with 44K miles. At 60,500, performance decreased noticably. Turns out that I need a new crankshaft. The car has been maintained by J. R. Mills at North Point Mazda in Little Rock for anything above an oil or air filter change. Mazda had a customer assistance program for 90-91 model cars with this problem; however, that is not the case anymore as I was rudely informed by Mazda, Inc. Other than the crankshaft, the crank sensor went at about 30K miles. It uses no oil, and is a blast to drive.

Favorite Features

Great handling; top that is easy to work. With a little care, the top will last many years. My top is still orginal and in great shape. There is plenty of aftermarket support for Miatas. Make the car as fast as your wallet will allow.

Suggested Improvements

Should you purchase a 90 - 91 model car, inspect the key and key way at the nose of the crankshaft. You could save $2500. The new crankshaft has a keyway that extends the lenght of the key.