1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (55 reviews )
A Great Car with one potential problem
By rbarrwest on 04/04/14 11:51 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

A great car!!!! I have had mine since December of 1989 and have 115,000 miles on it. But as my wife points out, it's hell when your mid-life crisis car is 24 years old! There is one problem to watch out for if you buy a '90. Some of them have the infamous crankshaft problem. It usually appears after the timing belt has been replaced and additional miles put on the car. Mine appeared at about 95000 miles. The problem has to do with the design of the crankshaft nose, keyway, cam drive sprocket and pulley bolt. The key was designed too short. For a good discussion of this problem see www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html. I had to replace the engine with one from a '92.

Easily the most fun on four wheels!
By ashb0891 on 10/10/13 17:04 PM (PDT)

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Having gone through the difficult choice of selling my 2011 Camaro V6 to pay for school, the time came to choose something that was equally fun to drive, cheap to insure for a 22yo guy, and easy for me to work on. I had always loved the Miata, and I found my little gem; an early build 1990 model with only 78,000mi. I couldn't be happier, I have yet to tire of driving it, and living in Texas, I can have the top down almost every day, which is a great thing for me. Aside from replacing a few worn out parts, it has been faultlessly reliable, and easily the most grin inducing car out of the many I have owned or fixed up. A highly recommended purchase for those who can accommodate such a car!

Miata is the best damn car I have ever owned
By my90miata on 04/14/11 15:55 PM (PDT)

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Bought this car with 182,000 on it and I have never looked back. What a great car. Not real fast but has plenty of giddyup and the handling is awesome. Very inexpensive to fix because there are so many still on the road. I live in Florida and the top is down on a daily basis. Got some wear on the top, but still not a lot out of the wallet to replace. It's like a go-cart on the highway. Fantabulous! :-)

The Mazda Miata: THE Best Car Ever Built
By JC-MX5 on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Since buying my 1990 Miata, I've been nothing short of satisfied. This fun, 2-door rag top is great from every angle and will leave a smile on your face long after you've stopped driving. It's reliable, fuel efficient (Mine sips to the tune of 36 mpg highway) and the most fun you can have in a car for the least amount of money spent. I recommend it to everyone, literally. I have yet to find a fault in my Miata and I don't expect to any time soon. After 20 years and 90k miles, she still has as much bite as the day she was born.

Reliable and UnderPriced
By TAYLORPARTON on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I have owned my Share of Small Convertibles and This One by Far exceeds all expectations. Excellent Gas Mileage, Excellent Drivability, Very Hot Car and Never a Problem, Maintenance is VERY Affordable, Tires are Very Affordable and it Gets an Excellent Safety Rating. I give this a 10 RATING

THE LITTLE THAT WILL NEVER DIE
By Patrick McDowell on 03/17/10 23:37 PM (PDT)

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought this car in '91. It was a new 1990 demo. This has been the most fun to drive car I have ever owned. I had Corvettes, 240Z's-300ZX's, Porsche, Benz galore....The only car even to come close was an old Afla Romeo Duetto. No, it is not the fastest..thought I did easily outrun an 82 Corvette and an 84 Regal turbo (not much of a speedster, haha) but the car is quick, not brutally fast. I could basically buy any car I wanted but speed is not the point with this car. It is just a "PURE" car. It is nimble, light, quick and easy to see out of and easy to park...I got 32 mpg on the highway and about 22 around town. If you do not love driving this car then you have may have problems!

Best darn sports car out there
By '90 Miata (M1) on 02/12/10 05:16 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

My 1990 has just many add on's like super charger and exhaust system by Jackson Racing (Moss Motors), Flyin' Miata F1 suspension roll bar, cruise control, hard top, 15" wheels with Toyo T1R tires, lots of chrome and polished aluminum under the hood, shark teeth in the grille opening, tow bar setup to take the car on vacation, upgraded stereo, speakers and headres speakers, wood steering wheel and so on. Regular maintenance form a good shop, synthetic fluids and regular polishing will make your shine like mine.

Really Old MX5
By browniesdad on 08/02/09 07:38 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Bought it very well used, spent a lot rebuilding it. Had 145,000 miles and little maintenance had been done Have put about 25K miles on it since. Still less than price of a new car, 30 plus MPG isn't bad. Hope to drive it a few more years, but who knows. This is a really nice little car. Someone got it right when they built this one.

WOWZERS!!!
By redd on 06/11/09 06:27 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I haven't had Betty long, but what a joy! I'm a 45 year Young single mom of 4 who did a straight up trade with my 1988 Chevy suburban with 67,000 original miles for this 1990 red w/ White racing stripes, convertible beauty with 124,000 miles. Kbb says I got the short end of the stick. I got the short stick alright... And I'm loving it. Living in so cal with a convertible is the only way to go! Kids can't drive a stick so this is mama's baby!

Instant Classic Import
By Nick on 05/19/09 00:11 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought this car to get it out of my system and I can't get over it. It's fast, sporty, easy to clean, reliable, and a convertible! I look forward to sunny days when I can get an opportunity to drive. I will never let this car go, the pros astronomically out-way the cons with the Miata. I purchased this car with 90,000 miles on it and the engine still runs smoothly at my 170,000 mark. Buy and Miata and you will not regret it. ItÂ’s a classic; it will only go up in value as time goes on.