Used 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Base 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (60 reviews )

Lil Red
By Mary

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I have owned two of these cars and they are dependable and lots of fun! I trained my daughter on this manual shift and now it's her car.

First Year Miata '90
By Bill

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

This is as fun as it gets

1990 Miata
By wandoriver87

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

So folks this car is amazing. Bought back in 1989 and was the 2,355 built. Mom drove it for 20yrs until coming down with Cancer, so she sat in the garage for 5yrs. Recently, dad gave it to me with just a few minor problems. He had stripped the bolt head on the #4 spark plug..fixed. New tires and a good wax down. Now, I drive this on most days. She has 64k on her and runs great. I replaced the computer and updated that. Cleaned out the drains due to minor clogs. Just love it. I've been told and warned if I sell it I would be disowned from the Family. Now, this is the car wonderful and for the folks that have low miles....bank!!!

Handling

Nothing

Love love love this car
By pawprintboxers

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I bought my 1990 just 2 years ago. It was an early Christmas present to myself. I had admired the Miatas but just never bought one.

Believe me I am making up for lost time. Excellent commuter car, great gas mileage, easy to park, zips all over, looks fabulous and I always have a smile on my face.

I gave it new rims and a new top. I have only had to replace a few minor parts that 25 years dictated needing to be replaced. But nothing major at all. This is the little car that next quits. I am in love !!

Update: I sold my 1990 after 3 years to another Miata lover. I bought a 2008 Miata. Love the Mazda cars but just wanted a bit more power items. The 1990 was FUN car but it got hard to commute with a stick shift. Now I have an automatic but still get the zoom zoom fun.

A Great Car with one potential problem
By rbarrwest

1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

A great car!!!! I have had mine since December of 1989 and have 115,000 miles on it.
But as my wife points out, it's hell when your mid-life crisis car is 24 years old!
There is one problem to watch out for if you buy a '90.
Some of them have the infamous crankshaft problem.
It usually appears after the timing belt has been replaced and additional miles put on the car.
Mine appeared at about 95000 miles.
The problem has to do with the design of the crankshaft nose, keyway, cam drive sprocket and pulley bolt.
The key was designed too short.
For a good discussion of this problem see www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html.
I had to replace the engine with one from a '92.

Handling. This car is flat out fun to drive. Not the fastest in the world but plenty peppy. The stick clutch combo is outstanding.

Could use a slightly more powerful engine. The later models have upped the engine power but they seem to have lost the original spirit of the '90. Watch tire selection - the wrong tire can cause vibrations.