1993 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-3 model:
Reliable, Cheap maintenance, motivating to drive....
By mikeetown on 01/31/13 12:27 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

The 1.8 V6 isn't very powerful but it has a very smooth and steady climb in the RPM's all the way to its 7000rpm redline. When it comes to windy roads, this car is very fast!! The engines small displacement and smooth feel all the way to the redline gives the driver the confidence that the engine can surely take a beating. Mine has 289,000km of hitting the redline every day and no problems. I change the oil evry 5 months or 5000kms though using the reccomended 10w30. The only Mazda MX-3 V6 I would avoid is an automatic one. The auto could not handle the power of the V6 and usually doesnt last. The 5 speed lasts forever provided u change the gear oil every 2 years (only costs 45$)

great buy for import sports enthusiast
By synefx on 12/29/07 08:17 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

this car is, as all mazdas, is a great car. its reliable and takes a lot of abuse. i bought mine used from an individual who kept up with it pretty well. but since i've had it, i've had to replace the distributor (135$ at the junkyard) and spark plug wires (40$ at autozone). unfortunately, i let it run too hot trying to get it home after running out of coolant - the motor still runs strong, but it knocks like crazy. i'll be taking it to the mazda dealership for a diagnostic. so far they are guessing that is may be the lifters, if so, i will swap the motor with a KLZE for more horsepower, that is my only complaint on this car, why they put a 1.8L V6 and not a 2.5L V

When are they going to build a new one?
By HondaKiller on 01/02/07 13:08 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

This is my third MX-3, and my first V-6. I haven't had it long, but so far everything is great. I was able to grab one with under 100K on the ODO so that was definitely a plus. It's definitely a sleeper, as most would even expect a V-6 in such a small car. Beats most other cars its size and and even some bigger ones. Hopefully I can keep this one for a while :). P.S. My first one was in totaled in an accident...and continued to run even after the accident and the second one was bought from a shady guy that sold me one with a defective head. Third time's a charm right?

Who needs botox...she still looks good.
By Rod on 08/03/06 11:30 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

This is my second MX3. First one was a 4 cylinder. The 4 cylinder just wasn't powerful enough...stick with the GS V6 with manual tranny (trust me). Worst case, stick with manual tranny in either model. The exterior of the MX3 does hold it's age well, very well actually. I still feel pretty cool driving it around after all these years. However, mechanically, the age of the car is starting to show. Common problems on this car include, power windows, automatic shoulder belts (recall), tons of front axle problems (front). Best bet is to buy from a dependable source or someone who keeps good records. Look for repairs in the areas listed prior. All in all, I would buy it again...It's that cool.;)

A Fun Little Car
By MX3 Fan on 10/31/05 15:24 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

This is my first car, and it is SO MUCH FUN! It doesn't seem it, but it's quite tough (it survived my horrible beginners driving). Handles very well, and is easy to drive as well. With an exterior design that looks much newer than its year, and a roomy interior able to hold everything a teenager needs with ease, I will always love this little car!

Mazda Mx3
By rl88 on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

I have all power options, the pw broke on me, i also had to change the tranny, the engine is still strong, I can't seem to beat other v6 cars off the line but then when around 40 KM you feel that you are flying and it doesn't stop accelerating, it's an OKAY car. If you are looking for a nice 2 door V6, get a accord or solara, it's the same on gas, actually probably better.

Worse car I've owned
By emmapeel on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

I must have gotten the lemon of the bunch. I have had more problems with this car than any other I've had. The air conditioner has been replaced several times. Seat belts problems,rubber warping on all windows, I have a library full of the work I've had to have done on it and that was right after the warranty ended.

What a fun car to Drive
By Mazda goes mmmmmmmmm on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

This car is the greatest, I have so much fun driving it after 11 years I still enjoy getting in the car and going. Its also reliable with very few problems. I'm sorry Mazda doesn't make it any more or I would go buy another.

Great compact, fun sporty car
By felixemo on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car almost a year and hasn't let me down yet. i have a list of mods done to my car, faster than civics . and no body does any mods and they should i don't plan on selling it anytime soon.

DON'T BUY AUTOMATICS
By Santos on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

This would be an excellent car, as long as you get the standard. Turns out the Auto-Tran is the same one as the Ford Escort. It may have saved them (Ford) money on manufacturing cost, but it's undersized for the 130 Hp engine of the MX-3. I've already had to replace my Transmission and my have to do so again.