1993 Mazda MX-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-3 model:
Reliable, Cheap maintenance, motivating to drive....
By mikeetown on 01/31/13 12:27 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

The 1.8 V6 isn't very powerful but it has a very smooth and steady climb in the RPM's all the way to its 7000rpm redline. When it comes to windy roads, this car is very fast!! The engines small displacement and smooth feel all the way to the redline gives the driver the confidence that the engine can surely take a beating. Mine has 289,000km of hitting the redline every day and no problems. I change the oil evry 5 months or 5000kms though using the reccomended 10w30. The only Mazda MX-3 V6 I would avoid is an automatic one. The auto could not handle the power of the V6 and usually doesnt last. The 5 speed lasts forever provided u change the gear oil every 2 years (only costs 45$)

Still running at 17 years old
By GGCAN on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda MX-3 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car used in 1999 with 104,000 km and it was the 4 cyl. At that time I didn't have a lot of money for a car as I had just taken out a mortgage and needed a car. I am not sorry for this purchase, as the car has lasted me until now September 2010 and is now showing it's age and I am replacing it. I've pretty much driven it into the ground and other than maintenance, had not put money into any repairs...it's been very dependable.

My Friend for 12 Years
By RJR on 11/12/08 17:47 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda MX-3 2dr Hatchback

I can't say enough about this car. It might not be the coolest car on the road but I owned this car for over 12 years, put over 110,000 miles on it, and it saved me a ton of cash. The reliability of this car is off the charts. I might have put $3k into it the entire time I owned it, and that's replacing consumables like brakes, exhaust, etc. The car never failed me once and is probably still on the road somewhere. I sold the car with 139,000 miles on it and it was still on the original clutch!

Cool Car
By haycraft on 03/12/08 18:17 PM (PDT)

1993 Mazda MX-3 2dr Hatchback

this is a great car I have had mine for a little less than 6 months but i love it i had a little electrical trouble but that was because whoever i bought it from could nt put in a stereo. my car has 190000+ miles on it and still runs like a charm, mazda did great.

great buy for import sports enthusiast
By synefx on 12/29/07 08:17 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

this car is, as all mazdas, is a great car. its reliable and takes a lot of abuse. i bought mine used from an individual who kept up with it pretty well. but since i've had it, i've had to replace the distributor (135$ at the junkyard) and spark plug wires (40$ at autozone). unfortunately, i let it run too hot trying to get it home after running out of coolant - the motor still runs strong, but it knocks like crazy. i'll be taking it to the mazda dealership for a diagnostic. so far they are guessing that is may be the lifters, if so, i will swap the motor with a KLZE for more horsepower, that is my only complaint on this car, why they put a 1.8L V6 and not a 2.5L V

best car for the daily driver
By mitmaks on 12/05/07 18:54 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda MX-3 Special 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for more than 6 years and I'm very pleased with it. It's really hard to move onto something newer. It has one of the best handling abilities compared to all FWD cars even being 15 yr old car. I'm not even talking about how much more positive difference it makes when you start adding upgrades and engine swaps are easy and inexpensive (200hp J-spec kl-ze) will waste much more expensive cars such as Integra type R, S2000's, etc.

When are they going to build a new one?
By HondaKiller on 01/02/07 13:08 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

This is my third MX-3, and my first V-6. I haven't had it long, but so far everything is great. I was able to grab one with under 100K on the ODO so that was definitely a plus. It's definitely a sleeper, as most would even expect a V-6 in such a small car. Beats most other cars its size and and even some bigger ones. Hopefully I can keep this one for a while :). P.S. My first one was in totaled in an accident...and continued to run even after the accident and the second one was bought from a shady guy that sold me one with a defective head. Third time's a charm right?

Who needs botox...she still looks good.
By Rod on 08/03/06 11:30 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

This is my second MX3. First one was a 4 cylinder. The 4 cylinder just wasn't powerful enough...stick with the GS V6 with manual tranny (trust me). Worst case, stick with manual tranny in either model. The exterior of the MX3 does hold it's age well, very well actually. I still feel pretty cool driving it around after all these years. However, mechanically, the age of the car is starting to show. Common problems on this car include, power windows, automatic shoulder belts (recall), tons of front axle problems (front). Best bet is to buy from a dependable source or someone who keeps good records. Look for repairs in the areas listed prior. All in all, I would buy it again...It's that cool.;)

A Fun Little Car
By MX3 Fan on 10/31/05 15:24 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

This is my first car, and it is SO MUCH FUN! It doesn't seem it, but it's quite tough (it survived my horrible beginners driving). Handles very well, and is easy to drive as well. With an exterior design that looks much newer than its year, and a roomy interior able to hold everything a teenager needs with ease, I will always love this little car!

Mazda Mx3
By rl88 on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

I have all power options, the pw broke on me, i also had to change the tranny, the engine is still strong, I can't seem to beat other v6 cars off the line but then when around 40 KM you feel that you are flying and it doesn't stop accelerating, it's an OKAY car. If you are looking for a nice 2 door V6, get a accord or solara, it's the same on gas, actually probably better.