1992 Mazda MX-3 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

great car
By WAmx-3

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

ive had my mx-3 for about a year and a half. and i can tell u its great. even though my brother screwed up some stuff in my engine that required 1000 dollars to fix, i still love my car. im going to drop a klze in it in about 4 months. I think i will keep this car until it dies. I cant say enough about this car.

Favorite Features

Manual all the way. Automatic just doesnt cut it. The look of it makes people turn their heads. All my friends like my car and think i should keep it forever.

Suggested Improvements

Air conditioner makes lots of engine noise, very annoying. Seat belts suck, but there was a recal so its all good. like many other mx-3s the cup holder broke. But i wish it came w/ a bigger engine. 1.8 v6, come on. kinda week engine, but gets the job done.

It keeps going, and going, and going
By mjlohman

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

Had this car in Germany when I was stationed there. 143 mph certified, on the AUTOBAHN (not here in the US). Great mileage during my 2 and a half day trip from DC to western Montana just recently. 37 to a gallon using the cruise control. No rust, don't expect any, aluminum and galvinized. Still gets more attention than a friend's newer sports car, even thought it's technically an economy car.

Favorite Features

Handling is incredible. Front drive really grabs the pavement, hard! I've ridden in smaller cars that cost twice as much and the MX-3 GS would easily outhandle them; especially in corners.

Suggested Improvements

I'd have dropped the 2.5 KLZE motor in it with a base 200 HP and 200 Ft. lbs. Despite it's material, it's still a heavy car, 3389 GVWR is high. Get rid of the rear seats altogether. Larger gas tank.

I Love My Car
By N. Golden

1992 Mazda MX-3 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new 11 years ago and have had no problems with it other than normal wear and tear. Even with 214,000 miles, it is still extremely reliable and gets excellent gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Gets good gas mileage yet it is still peppy. Very reliable. Still stylish after 11 years. Original floor mats are still in good shape. Glad manual windows/door locks were available because the automatic ones seem to be the first thing to break.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the automatic seat belts. The cup holder broke the first month. The wipers aren't great. The lock on the glove box broke. The cover on the hatch back is toast. Make an air conditioner that lasts as long as the car.

awesome
By mattster

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

the mx-3 is a great car, very reliable and fun to drive with its sporty v6 engine!

MX-3 just keeps on going
By Project RS-R

1992 Mazda MX-3 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car with 11 miles on it and 10 years and 165,000 miles later it is still going strong. I cannot complain about this little fun car. I wish Mazda would add it back to the line up cause I would get another one.

Favorite Features

It is inexpensive to maintain. The body style looks like some newer cars.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the v6 with minor improvements.

good to look at
By FORMERmx-3owner

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

I loved my MX-3 until I started spending $500 for every repair about every month and a half (which started a couple of months after I bought it). TMV went down 50% in the year I owned it (I think everyone's mx-3s broke down within that year). A lot of little electrical problems. The car was perfect when I got it, but they're just getting old now and won't last for much longer if they're even still running at all. Good luck if you just bought one!

MX3-GS Hatchback
By Baba

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

I have 120,000 miles on mine and have not had any mechanical problems at all! It's been an outstanding car and extremely fun to drive. I would not hestitate to recommend this car to others.

Favorite Features

Very responsive, but excellent gas mileage.

Great Car!
By Panther023

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

I love my Mazda. I may have to get rid of it soon because of a baby on the way, but I will miss it. It's been a great car! I would definitely get another.

Favorite Features

Overall performance. Fun little sports car.