Used 1992 Mazda MX-3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-3 model:

Best bang for Buck
By HondaKiller

1992 Mazda MX-3 2dr Hatchback

I bought the car used last November for 600 bucks with 125,000 miles on the odometer. So far the only major things I had to replace was the distributor (300 bucks). and a stage 1 clutch ($195). I bought it with a vacuum leak so gas mileage is a little short, but still reasonable. I am mechanic so I can fix the problem when I can find the part. That's probably the only problem....finding parts. Tends to oversteer which is one of the best qualities of this car. Very fun to drive despite only having 90 HP.

Oversteer, handling, gas mileage, easy to park.

More power, and get rid of the power seat belts. Oh and some sound deadening.

The best car I've ever owned
By misty

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

I am currently driving my 3rd MX-3; the 1st one I still have and runs great. The second one was not properly taken care of before I got it so I traded for my current one. This is a truly exceptional car and I love driving it; it's fast, fun, sporty and great looking plus with the newly tragic gas prices it still only takes about $28 to fill up. It handles great and it's easy to do regular maintenance yourself. I love both of my MX-3s.

Speed, style, gas economy, everything.

Start making them again, they are getting harder and harder to find.

A great fun reliable little car!
By Andy

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

In June of 1992 I took delivery on my Elegant Beige Auto V6 GS. Ive been driving the MX since with a grin on my face. The car featured a revolutionary engine for the time. It remains the only 1.8L V6 in existance. Although peak output shows up only north of 4000 RPM, power builds smoothly. If thats not enough for the enthusiast in you, you can pounce on the gas pedal and enjoy a frantic acceleration to 60+MPH in just under 8 seconds. Interior trim is clean and easy to navigate. Controls are within fingertip range and laid out very thoughtfully. Rear seats are functional and amazingly useful for children and (adults under 5'9") Trunk space is great for a small car.

Love the power sunroof. Upgraded stereo and speakers add to a pleasant driving experience. Seats are very comfortable and hold well during spirited driving. Long range trips are no worry in this small sports car, as comfort was obviously very important to Mazda engineers.

An aftermarket air filter will allow the engine to breathe easier giving slightly better pickup and MPG. A +1 wheel upgrade to 16" wheels completely freshened the look of the vehicle and still kept ride quality at factory levels.

Mazda MX-3 GS-R
By WyldSide

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

This car is a blast to drive after preforming it's 2.5L KLZE Engine swap. The engine is from a Japanese MS8. This combined with the Japanese computer gives the car better fuel efficiency than the stock motor. 0 - 60 miles/h acceleration takes approximately 6 seconds. This car also has some of the best handling I have ever seen in a small coupe.

The overall body design is quite sleak. Changing the front bumper to an aftermarket design is highly recomended since it gives the car a much more agressive look.

The interior is fairly roomy for it's size but could use a bit more style to it.

Great little car
By Gigi B.

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car used in 1993 with 24,000 miles on it. I'm still driving it and I've put 150,000 miles on it myself. GREAT GAS MILEAGE - I still get around 33 mpg on the interstate, and that's going around 75 mph with the A/C running wide open. Very nice design; I love the way it handles in the curves and the fact that I've got storage space in the hatch. Repair costs can be high ($500 for a distributor assembly) but once it's fixed, it stays fixed.

Stick shift is the only way to go - and the 6cyl rather than the 4cyl. I love the handling, I love the gas mileage, and I love the fact that it's got such a great exterior.

Better CV joints would be nice and the cupholder absolutely sucks.