Used 1992 Mazda MX-3 Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-3 model:

11 years (and counting) of a super car
By kchat

1992 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Bought my MX3 in high school, and have been driving it ever since. I have always lived in rural areas in the West and she handles beautifully on the back roads, even in the snow...I have taken her up Mt Hood many times. I take curves at the same speed as the rest of the highway (in good weather!) thanks to her Twin-Trapezoidal Link rear suspension. Maintenance has been minimal/normal: new brakes, clutch, window motor, distributor (twice), muffler (twice). I have even fit a full size ikea couch in that car, with the hatch closed! Cargo space is amazing for a car that gets 40 mpg in summer highway driving. Love this car.

Gas efficient, handles better than some "luxury" cars I've driven, incredible cargo space due to the long hatch back.

Be sure to note recalls, my seat belt track broke, but the factory fixed it (not before a shop tried to charge me $1300). Also, she steams up in the winter when it is raining, so you have to use the heat judiciously...and carry a small towel just in case. Over time, head lights are so yellow and opaque it feels like driving with two flashlights would be better. I just haven't sprung for the new plastic.

Great car
By MCannon

1992 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I've had my car for about one year and it had 248000 miles on it and sat in my uncles drive 4 about a year in a half. After he gave it to me I took that car to hell and back. That little car took a beating and would not give up until I hit a deer and I still drove it home with a busted radiator. The car ended up having 270000 miles on it and seemed like it could of gone double that.

5 speed, gas saver, and a sporty look to it

Needs just a little more power

Best bang for Buck
By HondaKiller

1992 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought the car used last November for 600 bucks with 125,000 miles on the odometer. So far the only major things I had to replace was the distributor (300 bucks). and a stage 1 clutch ($195). I bought it with a vacuum leak so gas mileage is a little short, but still reasonable. I am mechanic so I can fix the problem when I can find the part. That's probably the only problem....finding parts. Tends to oversteer which is one of the best qualities of this car. Very fun to drive despite only having 90 HP.

Oversteer, handling, gas mileage, easy to park.

More power, and get rid of the power seat belts. Oh and some sound deadening.

Great cheap car
By 92mx3

1992 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car for $500 it was stolen. It needed a clutch and cv's and a door hand and ignition lock cylinder. For $1000 total invested this thing is awsome. It is extremely fun to drive (I rally it on the way to work!) No torque steer. it actually handles like a rear wheel rive slight oversteer, which is fun I can get the rear to slide in corners like a rear drive. All this and it gets a consistant 30mpg. The only problem is that I am 6'4" and I have to duck to see stop lights. Extremely economical car. After fixing the initial parts I havent had a problem. 160000 miles on it now and it doesn't use any oil, smoke or leak anything.

Low price great gas mileage. I wish it had a six speed because it revs at 4000 rpms when your are doing 75mph.

Sixth gear, lower the seats so I can see out of the windsheild.

I Love My Car
By N. Golden

1992 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new 11 years ago and have had no problems with it other than normal wear and tear. Even with 214,000 miles, it is still extremely reliable and gets excellent gas mileage.

Gets good gas mileage yet it is still peppy. Very reliable. Still stylish after 11 years. Original floor mats are still in good shape. Glad manual windows/door locks were available because the automatic ones seem to be the first thing to break.

Get rid of the automatic seat belts. The cup holder broke the first month. The wipers aren't great. The lock on the glove box broke. The cover on the hatch back is toast. Make an air conditioner that lasts as long as the car.