Used 1992 Mazda MX-3 GS Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-3 model:

21 Years Old and Still a Beautiful Car
By dan_jefferies

1992 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

WOW! This is a great car. 33 mpg at 80 miles an hour with the 1.8 v6. Unbelievable deal I got. Love it. I did ding it a point on comfort. It's like a go cart on steroids, but I've gotten used to it. It has 275.000 miles and still goes 120+. I f you ever see one, buy the GS version.

Favorite Features

Cruise control.

My MX3
By katdee

1992 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

I have a 1992 Mazda Mx3. Am going on having it 2 years now and the car is great! Right now is broke down for the FIRST time! Not sure what's wrong, has no spark to the coil. Anyhow, I love to drive it, handles great and is good on gas. I think it's a sporty looking little coupe, and I love to drive it. Am upset with it right now...is sitting until I get a mechanic to look at it.

Favorite Features

Favorite features would be its stylish look, comfort driving it, great on gas, roomy hatch space, and great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, headliner, more power.

The best car I've ever owned
By misty

1992 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

I am currently driving my 3rd MX-3; the 1st one I still have and runs great. The second one was not properly taken care of before I got it so I traded for my current one. This is a truly exceptional car and I love driving it; it's fast, fun, sporty and great looking plus with the newly tragic gas prices it still only takes about $28 to fill up. It handles great and it's easy to do regular maintenance yourself. I love both of my MX-3s.

Favorite Features

Speed, style, gas economy, everything.

Suggested Improvements

Start making them again, they are getting harder and harder to find.

A great fun reliable little car!
By Andy

1992 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

In June of 1992 I took delivery on my Elegant Beige Auto V6 GS. Ive been driving the MX since with a grin on my face. The car featured a revolutionary engine for the time. It remains the only 1.8L V6 in existance. Although peak output shows up only north of 4000 RPM, power builds smoothly. If thats not enough for the enthusiast in you, you can pounce on the gas pedal and enjoy a frantic acceleration to 60+MPH in just under 8 seconds. Interior trim is clean and easy to navigate. Controls are within fingertip range and laid out very thoughtfully. Rear seats are functional and amazingly useful for children and (adults under 5'9") Trunk space is great for a small car.

Favorite Features

Love the power sunroof. Upgraded stereo and speakers add to a pleasant driving experience. Seats are very comfortable and hold well during spirited driving. Long range trips are no worry in this small sports car, as comfort was obviously very important to Mazda engineers.

Suggested Improvements

An aftermarket air filter will allow the engine to breathe easier giving slightly better pickup and MPG. A +1 wheel upgrade to 16" wheels completely freshened the look of the vehicle and still kept ride quality at factory levels.

Mazda MX-3 GS-R
By WyldSide

1992 Mazda MX-3 Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

This car is a blast to drive after preforming it's 2.5L KLZE Engine swap. The engine is from a Japanese MS8. This combined with the Japanese computer gives the car better fuel efficiency than the stock motor. 0 - 60 miles/h acceleration takes approximately 6 seconds. This car also has some of the best handling I have ever seen in a small coupe.

Favorite Features

The overall body design is quite sleak. Changing the front bumper to an aftermarket design is highly recomended since it gives the car a much more agressive look.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is fairly roomy for it's size but could use a bit more style to it.