1992 Mazda MX-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-3 model:
21 Years Old and Still a Beautiful Car
By dan_jefferies on 03/03/13 15:31 PM (PST)

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

WOW! This is a great car. 33 mpg at 80 miles an hour with the 1.8 v6. Unbelievable deal I got. Love it. I did ding it a point on comfort. It's like a go cart on steroids, but I've gotten used to it. It has 275.000 miles and still goes 120+. I f you ever see one, buy the GS version.

11 years (and counting) of a super car
By kchat on 12/13/11 09:57 AM (PST)

1992 Mazda MX-3 2dr Hatchback

Bought my MX3 in high school, and have been driving it ever since. I have always lived in rural areas in the West and she handles beautifully on the back roads, even in the snow...I have taken her up Mt Hood many times. I take curves at the same speed as the rest of the highway (in good weather!) thanks to her Twin-Trapezoidal Link rear suspension. Maintenance has been minimal/normal: new brakes, clutch, window motor, distributor (twice), muffler (twice). I have even fit a full size ikea couch in that car, with the hatch closed! Cargo space is amazing for a car that gets 40 mpg in summer highway driving. Love this car.

Great car
By MCannon on 10/12/08 02:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda MX-3 2dr Hatchback

I've had my car for about one year and it had 248000 miles on it and sat in my uncles drive 4 about a year in a half. After he gave it to me I took that car to hell and back. That little car took a beating and would not give up until I hit a deer and I still drove it home with a busted radiator. The car ended up having 270000 miles on it and seemed like it could of gone double that.

My MX3
By katdee on 05/03/06 08:42 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

I have a 1992 Mazda Mx3. Am going on having it 2 years now and the car is great! Right now is broke down for the FIRST time! Not sure what's wrong, has no spark to the coil. Anyhow, I love to drive it, handles great and is good on gas. I think it's a sporty looking little coupe, and I love to drive it. Am upset with it right now...is sitting until I get a mechanic to look at it.

Best bang for Buck
By HondaKiller on 10/16/05 22:36 PM (PDT)

1992 Mazda MX-3 2dr Hatchback

I bought the car used last November for 600 bucks with 125,000 miles on the odometer. So far the only major things I had to replace was the distributor (300 bucks). and a stage 1 clutch ($195). I bought it with a vacuum leak so gas mileage is a little short, but still reasonable. I am mechanic so I can fix the problem when I can find the part. That's probably the only problem....finding parts. Tends to oversteer which is one of the best qualities of this car. Very fun to drive despite only having 90 HP.

The best car I've ever owned
By misty on 09/03/05 15:03 PM (PDT)

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

I am currently driving my 3rd MX-3; the 1st one I still have and runs great. The second one was not properly taken care of before I got it so I traded for my current one. This is a truly exceptional car and I love driving it; it's fast, fun, sporty and great looking plus with the newly tragic gas prices it still only takes about $28 to fill up. It handles great and it's easy to do regular maintenance yourself. I love both of my MX-3s.

A great fun reliable little car!
By Andy on 12/26/04 14:30 PM (PST)

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

In June of 1992 I took delivery on my Elegant Beige Auto V6 GS. Ive been driving the MX since with a grin on my face. The car featured a revolutionary engine for the time. It remains the only 1.8L V6 in existance. Although peak output shows up only north of 4000 RPM, power builds smoothly. If thats not enough for the enthusiast in you, you can pounce on the gas pedal and enjoy a frantic acceleration to 60+MPH in just under 8 seconds. Interior trim is clean and easy to navigate. Controls are within fingertip range and laid out very thoughtfully. Rear seats are functional and amazingly useful for children and (adults under 5'9") Trunk space is great for a small car.

Mazda MX-3 GS-R
By WyldSide on 09/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

This car is a blast to drive after preforming it's 2.5L KLZE Engine swap. The engine is from a Japanese MS8. This combined with the Japanese computer gives the car better fuel efficiency than the stock motor. 0 - 60 miles/h acceleration takes approximately 6 seconds. This car also has some of the best handling I have ever seen in a small coupe.

Great little car
By Gigi B. on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car used in 1993 with 24,000 miles on it. I'm still driving it and I've put 150,000 miles on it myself. GREAT GAS MILEAGE - I still get around 33 mpg on the interstate, and that's going around 75 mph with the A/C running wide open. Very nice design; I love the way it handles in the curves and the fact that I've got storage space in the hatch. Repair costs can be high ($500 for a distributor assembly) but once it's fixed, it stays fixed.

Great cheap car
By 92mx3 on 02/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Mazda MX-3 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car for $500 it was stolen. It needed a clutch and cv's and a door hand and ignition lock cylinder. For $1000 total invested this thing is awsome. It is extremely fun to drive (I rally it on the way to work!) No torque steer. it actually handles like a rear wheel rive slight oversteer, which is fun I can get the rear to slide in corners like a rear drive. All this and it gets a consistant 30mpg. The only problem is that I am 6'4" and I have to duck to see stop lights. Extremely economical car. After fixing the initial parts I havent had a problem. 160000 miles on it now and it doesn't use any oil, smoke or leak anything.