Used 1992 Mazda MX-3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-3 model:

V6 still powerful
By wkeogh

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

165,000 on this car. Only problem has been replacing the sunroof motor. Recall for the auto seat belts (free). Have taken this car on the track at high speed and also auto-crossed it. She loves being on 3 wheels!! I upgraded to sports shocks, improved brake rotors and performance brake pads. The small V-6 seems to be bullet proof. Great car! I'm going to re-paint her finally, after 24 years

Favorite Features

Great handling, good torque from motor.Also, switched to synthetic tranny fluid and it shifts like butter. Very smooth tranny!!

Suggested Improvements

Improvement on waterproofing the marker/turn signal lights. I've blown quite a few bulbs over the years until I added some RTV.

21 Years Old and Still a Beautiful Car
By dan_jefferies

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

WOW! This is a great car. 33 mpg at 80 miles an hour with the 1.8 v6. Unbelievable deal I got. Love it. I did ding it a point on comfort. It's like a go cart on steroids, but I've gotten used to it. It has 275.000 miles and still goes 120+. I f you ever see one, buy the GS version.

Favorite Features

Cruise control.

11 years (and counting) of a super car
By kchat

1992 Mazda MX-3 2dr Hatchback

Bought my MX3 in high school, and have been driving it ever since. I have always lived in rural areas in the West and she handles beautifully on the back roads, even in the snow...I have taken her up Mt Hood many times. I take curves at the same speed as the rest of the highway (in good weather!) thanks to her Twin-Trapezoidal Link rear suspension. Maintenance has been minimal/normal: new brakes, clutch, window motor, distributor (twice), muffler (twice). I have even fit a full size ikea couch in that car, with the hatch closed! Cargo space is amazing for a car that gets 40 mpg in summer highway driving. Love this car.

Favorite Features

Gas efficient, handles better than some "luxury" cars I've driven, incredible cargo space due to the long hatch back.

Suggested Improvements

Be sure to note recalls, my seat belt track broke, but the factory fixed it (not before a shop tried to charge me $1300). Also, she steams up in the winter when it is raining, so you have to use the heat judiciously...and carry a small towel just in case. Over time, head lights are so yellow and opaque it feels like driving with two flashlights would be better. I just haven't sprung for the new plastic.

Great car
By MCannon

1992 Mazda MX-3 2dr Hatchback

I've had my car for about one year and it had 248000 miles on it and sat in my uncles drive 4 about a year in a half. After he gave it to me I took that car to hell and back. That little car took a beating and would not give up until I hit a deer and I still drove it home with a busted radiator. The car ended up having 270000 miles on it and seemed like it could of gone double that.

Favorite Features

5 speed, gas saver, and a sporty look to it

Suggested Improvements

Needs just a little more power

My MX3
By katdee

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 2dr Hatchback

I have a 1992 Mazda Mx3. Am going on having it 2 years now and the car is great! Right now is broke down for the FIRST time! Not sure what's wrong, has no spark to the coil. Anyhow, I love to drive it, handles great and is good on gas. I think it's a sporty looking little coupe, and I love to drive it. Am upset with it right now...is sitting until I get a mechanic to look at it.

Favorite Features

Favorite features would be its stylish look, comfort driving it, great on gas, roomy hatch space, and great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, headliner, more power.