2006 Mazda MPV LX-SV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

2006 MPV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Sort Reviews by

Very Good but We Needed More Luxury
By mercuryhater

2006 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Never had one repair done to this Mazda. We came from a fully loaded 99' Blazer LT we needed a car fast and we got this the V6 was nice the transmission was also good. the worst thing was the windows weren't tinted and the car was awful in the snow the 3rd row was like a board of wood with microfiber on it. the front windshield was huge and the dashboard glared off of it.traded for a mountaineer but that you can read about in my other review which was traded for a 2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited w/NAV

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Tinted windows more comfy rear seat

powertrain dies at 59K/6yrs
By aknight

2006 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Auto-transmission broke down at 59K, 6 yrs: back and forth between gear 1 and 2. Had to get a tow. Am the first owner. Was having hard-shift right after the purchase. Mazda's attitude: hard-shift not reproducible, cannot fix. Seeing so many other MPV owners' complaints on transmission problems, hard to believe Mazda not facing MPV transmission issue honestly. Transmission breaking down is estimated to cost $4K to fix/replace.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Poor auto-transmission reliability and poor fuel efficiency. Wife and kid refused to get in my MPV. They both feel dizzy due to the uncomfortable gear shifting. Where is NTSB? Are my tax dollars at work? Do they want to wait for accidents to happen before they act on MPV auto-transmission issues?

More than satisfied
By more than satisfied

2006 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car private party, 2 years old with 9500 miles. Two and a half years later we have 43K miles with absolutely no repairs. Replaced the factory tires with 90K Goodyears and they are fantastic. This car has met or exceeded my expectations in every way.

Favorite Features

On the smaller side. Big plus for me since my children are still young. Very nimble compared to the bigger Toyotas and Hondas. Easy to park in my smaller garage. Also it has a "unique" factor. Not tons of these on the roads. I get lots of compliments on the styling. Sport package is great!

Suggested Improvements

Interior parts could be a little higher quality. More cup holders and 12V outlets.

Was Not Happy
By brandij

2006 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well my mom had purchased this van a year prior with a new kid on the way I was excited to be a minivan owner. It was a really late night when they do those crazy specials at midnight!? I didn't test drive it because I've been driving my moms for quite some time, got it home to notice that our van had NO REAR AIR!!! I couldn't believe they made vans without it! My moms came standard with it, didn't realize it was missing til the next morning when it was freezing cold taking our 2 young kids out!! I've had to put fans in the back to just get by in the summer. It is brutal. I was very upset that the sales people sold it they had to know!! will never go back again!!!

Favorite Features

It was a van

Suggested Improvements

Rear air is ALWAYS needed!!! Duh people sit back there!!!!

Family Utilitarian
By Sourdough

2006 Mazda MPV LX-SV 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have two young daughters with a child on the way and our MPV has been great. It drives like a sedan. The window sills are low, which allows great visibility from the driver's seat. It has more than enough power, but gets better than expected gas mileage. The third row seat folds down into the floor to provide exceptional storage capacity. It has served our family well.

Favorite Features

Cruise control

Stands out from the crowd
By slickdealer

2006 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've only owned this vehicle for 4 months but so far, it's been great. I love the size. It's not a tank (aka Odyssey/Sienna). I also like having a vehicle that isn't on every corner. The MPV really stands out from the crowd. Took it on a long trip this summer and it performed flawlessly. The interior doesn't have that cheap quality feel that some cars have. It feels solid.

Favorite Features

The size is great. It has a relatively smooth ride. Removable 2nd row captains chairs. Radio/CD controls on the steering wheel are really nice. Roll-down 2nd row windows are cool (as are the dual sliding doors).

Suggested Improvements

Considering its size, it doesn't get great gas mileage. Don't get me wrong, it's still decent. The shift handle on the steering column is bad! It blocks your view (and access) to other knobs on the middle panel. You can get around this by using steering wheel controls. V6 is on the weaker side.

Decent van for the price
By kazmojo

2006 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had my eye on this van since I bought our last car several years ago. Mazda had built this generation MPV for 8 years or so, and so had plenty of time to work out any kinks. And it shows in terms of reliability and quality.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel mounted stereo controls; dual zone climate control; roll down windows in sliding doors; easy to store third row; smooth V6; cabin air filter.

Suggested Improvements

I'd sacrifice some of that power for better mileage (I don't think I've ever had to floor it); better design for moving between rows including foot operated emergency brake, removable armrests and seats that hug closer to the doors.

Love This Minivan
By stellabludream

2006 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Used to have SUVs and sedans; with 2 kids needed something bigger - OMG! a van! NO WAY I thought. Loved this one for style, features, price, not a gargantuan van. Drove Honda and Toyota too big and too pricey. This one is just right size for city and Handles like a dream! Everyone is happy now in this van. LOVE the dual sliding doors and section controled air. Never thought I'd say it but I just love this thing! Wish they would bring it back. The Mazda 5 is just too small for us with pets and relatives aboard.

Favorite Features

Handling, leather seats, steering wheel stereo controls, sliding 2nd row, flip 3rd row, roof rack.

Great Van for the dollar.
By David Vega

2006 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I thought we would never purchase a minivan. We both have SUVs, a Land Cruiser 95 and Land Rover Disco 97. Now we have a son, with the car seat in the back it is a little cramped. The person sitting next to the car set just doesn’t have room. Both SUVs have the 3 row sets still not comfortable. We look at all the vans only the MPV, Honda and Toyota were considered. Well, we got the MPV black sport with side air bags and rear air. No auto sliding doors. WOW great ride, excellent van. Acceleration. Drives like a car. Only got 7k on it so far. Only problem, at the port where the MPV came in, factory options are put in. During the roof rack install, screw installed wrong, leaked. New headliner required.

Favorite Features

Design exterior, drives like a car. Excellent power and acceleration. Sliding left to right second row seat.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back. Rear heat. Do not put side air back in seats. Can't use seat covers as easy. Brighter dim lights.

You Can Get Em Cheap
By tabbss

2006 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife needed a minivan and didn't want the minivan looks. We rented a MPV and liked it. We test drove the Quest and Sedona. Both of those had interior parts fall off during our test drives. Saw a new MPV in an ad at a local dealer for $15,488. Heavy rebates and dealer took off another $1K for Mazda financing. Can't beat the price and runs great. The dealers want to get rid of these so you can get them for a steal if you can find them.

Favorite Features

Not as big as others, good gas mileage and low price. Side windows roll down. Great brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Not as many safety features as newer model minivans.