Used 2005 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mazda MPV

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Average car for below average cost
By leprofd

2005 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

You get what you pay for. The ride is harsh and the space limited for a minivan but if you compare with small to mid size wagon and have only one or two children to transport, then it's an OK vehicle with a few extras for a limited budget. The model is discontinued and for good reasons. If you can live with the limitations you should get great deals from eager dealers. Just do not expect a Sienna or an Odyssey.

Favorite Features

The sliding seat in the back and the folding third row (common now to all minivans).

Suggested Improvements

Space is limited in second row. The suspension is rough and the comfort is minimum. A new model will come perhaps in 2008.

Great Buy
By Way to go Mazda

2005 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Mazda MPV is an excellent value. All the latest features like power doors, dvd player, power sunroof and seats are all optional but the LX with the sports package is loaded! Great features such as fold away third row seat, captains chairs, rear air and heat, tinted windows, roof rack and a wonderful stereo system.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on steering wheel. Captains chairs. Fold away third row seat. Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

This is a wonderful vehicle and a great vehicle except the 3.0 v6 can barely drag it around. Come on Mazda give the MPV some Zoom Zoom!

The Perfect GUV (golf utility vehicle)
By retiredgolfer

2005 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm retired and the primary use for my vehicle is to take me and my buddies to and from golf. I've had a pickup for years, but decided I wanted something that would keep the clubs/carts inside and have the capability to carry more than 2 golfers in comfort. Tried several different SUV's and smaller station wagons but none had adequate cargo capacity for my needs. Tried some other minivans but they seemed too big or too pricey. Stumbled on the MPV and found it perfect at the right price!

Favorite Features

Flexibility to go from cargo to passenger carrying configuration. Fold down 3rd row seat. Sliding 2nd row bucket seats. Power windows in sliding doors. Decent MPG. Drives like a car, very quiet and smooth.

Suggested Improvements

I guess just the location of the shift lever could be moved. Any other improvements would probably add to cost of vehicle and I love the price!

Love that MPV except....
By Mary

2005 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After owning and loving a 2000 MPV we purchased a 2005 Mazda MPV leftover with the $425 towing package. One would assume the vehicle would be ready to accept the hitch receiver and wiring harness but no. Required: new muffler, exhaust tip, and gasket in order to install the hitch. Just shy of an additional $1,000 installed at the dealership. Oh, and lets not forget that the vehicle is rated and advertised to tow 3000 pounds yet the hitch receiver is rated 2000. Include the proper muffler with the tow package or at least include this info in MPV literature. Besides that it is one fantastic versatile vehicle.

Favorite Features

Electric doors.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders. Upgrade the tow package.

2005 MPV
By dav mc

2005 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2004 Odyssey was totaled by another driver. The MPV was the best value for the features. It drives better than our Honda and looks much sportier. We were able to get it for 36 dollars under invoice, then the dealer took off $4000 in rebates. They even delivered it to me and signed the paper work on my kitchen table. This is my 3rd vehicle purchase through the internet and all have been great. I actually enjoy driving this van although it is my wife's. If you are a smaller adult (under 6 foot and under 200 #s) the seats will fit you better than the domestic vans. We have only had it a few weeks, but love it so far.

Favorite Features

Looks sporty, great sound system, the controls on the steering wheel light up so you don't have to guess at the buttons. Drives more like a car with little body roll. Nice finish on the inside and the leather is nice. Very quiet with little wind noise or engine noise. Great warranty, road side.

Suggested Improvements

Move the shifter off the steering column to the center like the Honda. Have the bench fold flat without removing the head rest. Home link should be standard in the ES model. More comprehensive trip computer to give current mileage and distance to empty.