Used 2005 Mazda MPV ES Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

a few years in
By tbg

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought our MPV ES in Oct 2008 with 46,000 on it. It currently has about 114,000 on it and doesn't seem to be much different from when we bought it. To date, it has required relatively infrequent and minor fixes: a minor ($300) fuel thing (forgotten what precisely) at 90k, a small water pump leak at 108k.

Above avg handling for a minivan, and small size for vehicle with these capabilities.

Mazda did a great job of redesigning this in 2007 (I've seen them when I travel to Asia) but decided not to import it. A real shame. Bring it back and call it a Mazda7.

Too Bad They Don't Still Make Them
By ANewcomb

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Spent a lot of time researching for our first minivan since baby no. 3 is on the way and I abhor the idea of being a minivan owner. Looked at everything, but had to go with something small enough to fit down my ridiculously narrow drive way. Ended up looking for a MPV ES used since they stopped making them with the '06s. We're not the biggest people and our kids are all small at this point so this van is just the right size for us. Only had it a couple weeks but it really works well for us. It handles great, rides like a car and has sporty looks. Friend of mine just bought an '04 Honda Odyssey EX cloth seats and 35000 miles and paid the same that I did for my 05 MPV ES that's loaded.

Power sliding doors and the side air bags are nice for safety. Radio controls in steering wheel also are convenient.

Not that it matters at this point for Mazda, but a power tailgate would be nice and a better trip computer with gas mileage and distance to empty. Latch System for child seats also would have made more sense.

fun van, right size for city
By dude

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought an 05 demo with 5k miles. Really like this van. Maybe it's just that it was a full option demo, but I find it preferable to all but the new Honda. But paid $15k less than equally optioned Honda would have cost.

Sunroof, leather, very quick at passing.

I still sense a "turbo lag" feeling from the transmission driving around town (it is not a turbo). Too bad Mazda did not bring their new MPV to the US, I would have bought it.

Love that MPV except....
By Mary

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After owning and loving a 2000 MPV we purchased a 2005 Mazda MPV leftover with the $425 towing package. One would assume the vehicle would be ready to accept the hitch receiver and wiring harness but no. Required: new muffler, exhaust tip, and gasket in order to install the hitch. Just shy of an additional $1,000 installed at the dealership. Oh, and lets not forget that the vehicle is rated and advertised to tow 3000 pounds yet the hitch receiver is rated 2000. Include the proper muffler with the tow package or at least include this info in MPV literature. Besides that it is one fantastic versatile vehicle.

Electric doors.

Better cup holders. Upgrade the tow package.

2005 MPV
By dav mc

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2004 Odyssey was totaled by another driver. The MPV was the best value for the features. It drives better than our Honda and looks much sportier. We were able to get it for 36 dollars under invoice, then the dealer took off $4000 in rebates. They even delivered it to me and signed the paper work on my kitchen table. This is my 3rd vehicle purchase through the internet and all have been great. I actually enjoy driving this van although it is my wife's. If you are a smaller adult (under 6 foot and under 200 #s) the seats will fit you better than the domestic vans. We have only had it a few weeks, but love it so far.

Looks sporty, great sound system, the controls on the steering wheel light up so you don't have to guess at the buttons. Drives more like a car with little body roll. Nice finish on the inside and the leather is nice. Very quiet with little wind noise or engine noise. Great warranty, road side.

Move the shifter off the steering column to the center like the Honda. Have the bench fold flat without removing the head rest. Home link should be standard in the ES model. More comprehensive trip computer to give current mileage and distance to empty.