2005 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
nice car so far
By topcatken on 10/31/11 16:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this a few months ago with 53,000 miles on it. Except for a vacuum hose which was expensive, it is serving us well. The vehicle is easy to handle because it is smaller but easy to adjust for different uses. Rear seat folds down into floor or you can flip it back for tailgating. Has a/c vents front and rear, seats 7 and is easy getting in and out. Have driven it back and forth across west Texas twice now and did what I asked it to do.

Rust Problems
By mazda owner on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I decided to sell my MPV just 5 years after I bought it because it was rusting so badly at the base of both the passenger and driver doors as well as on all 4 wheel wells. In this day and age you don't expect a vehicle to rust before it's even 10 years old and this car began rusting when it was just 3 years old. When I brought the problem up to Mazda they were only willing to go by the book: The rust warranty only kicks in when the rust has perforated the metal. Well it's perforated now--now that the warranty has expired. Between fixing the rust and some other scheduled maintenance I was going to be spending more on the car than it was worth. So I cut my losses and sold the car.

Used Car Purchase
By Family of 4 on 04/12/09 11:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I noticed most of these reviews are older and mostly new car purchases. Reviews have nonetheless been very helpful in our decision. Like most family van purchasers, we compared with used Sienna's and Odyssey's. In the end, the MPV was such a better value as they seem to depreciate at a faster rate. My wife it the primary driver for this car, so the smaller exterior size was easier for her to drive. Handling is substantially better as it is shorter and narrower. Parking and general driving was much easier. Of course with better handling comes at a cost, because you need to sacrifice interior space. As a family 4, this was not a factor at all, so this was by far the best fit.

Sauna in the Summer
By Mom Parker on 05/09/08 19:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the MPV when we were expecting our first child. We were very pleased at first until we realized that the van was not equipped with rear air vents. There are four vents for the entire van. The summers in the south are brutal. We can no longer make our children endure the heat with no air vents. Needless to say we are now in the process of finding a new vehicle. Aside from that we are pleased. The only other complaint is the driver side window motor had to be replaced. We have put 36,400 miles on it and it still is going strong.

MPV Van
By ksmemoore on 04/24/08 05:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The driver's seat is uncomfortable to me. I am a tall woman and the armrest is way too low for comfort. Seat will not lower down enough. The gas mileage is awful. Lots worse than we thought. At $3.50 a gallon we would prob. not have bought this van if we had known how bad it was going to be. It does seem to be reliable however and had some good features as far as lots of good seating to haul my kids and their friends around.

2005 Mazda MPV - certified used car
By Joe on 04/03/07 07:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for a little over a year. It had 24000 miles, I found out it was a rental car from Florida but it was in great condition. It has been the most versatile vehicle I have owned. We are avid Ikea people and hauling furniture is one of the best things about this van. I pulled out the middle row dropped the back and made it into a cargo van. I hauled an L shaped couch and it fit. Even though it's smaller than the Sienna or Odyssey, it still has a lot of room. I have hauled appliances and also building supplies to my rental unit. When relatives come to visit, I can fit all seven of us plus put a stroller in the back! A+

The Best
By Wally Greer on 04/02/07 14:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Tried to buy an '07 but found out Mazda quit importing these to the US. Bad mistake but my new '05 will do me fine. Mine was a dealer loaner and was like new. I put 250000 miles on my '94 MPV so I expect this one to do the same. This vehicle has everything in the same spot so there was no learning curve. Pulling a trailer is no problem. I use this for camping and everyday use, at 6'2" I find it roomy and very comfortable on long trips. The sticker said 25 mpg and I find this to be true even pulling a trailer. I get the same mileage in the city too. The middle seats are a snap to get out.

Average car for below average cost
By leprofd on 01/02/07 09:36 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

You get what you pay for. The ride is harsh and the space limited for a minivan but if you compare with small to mid size wagon and have only one or two children to transport, then it's an OK vehicle with a few extras for a limited budget. The model is discontinued and for good reasons. If you can live with the limitations you should get great deals from eager dealers. Just do not expect a Sienna or an Odyssey.

Great Buy
By Way to go Mazda on 07/02/06 09:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Mazda MPV is an excellent value. All the latest features like power doors, dvd player, power sunroof and seats are all optional but the LX with the sports package is loaded! Great features such as fold away third row seat, captains chairs, rear air and heat, tinted windows, roof rack and a wonderful stereo system.

The Perfect GUV (golf utility vehicle)
By retiredgolfer on 06/18/06 07:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm retired and the primary use for my vehicle is to take me and my buddies to and from golf. I've had a pickup for years, but decided I wanted something that would keep the clubs/carts inside and have the capability to carry more than 2 golfers in comfort. Tried several different SUV's and smaller station wagons but none had adequate cargo capacity for my needs. Tried some other minivans but they seemed too big or too pricey. Stumbled on the MPV and found it perfect at the right price!