Used 2004 Mazda MPV Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Best minivan for small families!
By slw1123

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I just purchased a used 2004 MPV with 18k miles on it. We have a 15 month old and are expecting another baby soon. The MPV has lots of space without being too boxy or too large. It's easy to get a toddler in/out of carseats in the 2nd row. It would be nice to have a tad more leg room/space between the front and 2nd row but it's fine for kids. I love the cargo space and the "lay flat" 3 row seat. I also like the steering wheel radio controls and the center console that can be up or down. The handling of the MPV is awesome! Feels like you're driving a luxury car instead of a minivan. It turns smoothly and easily, accelerates beautifully (but I'm a conservative Mommy).

Space, smooth, fun ride, excellent handling on curves, interior design/features.

Darker interior for messy kiddies, more space between front seat and 2nd row (for adult passengers).

Transmission quirks
By Dee A.

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Van is excellent except for the transmission. It jerks shifting from 2nd to 3rd especially on a stop and go traffic. Brakes are noisy first thing in the morning, disappears after it warms up. Had the TCM reflashed 3 times to correct the transmission jerk to no avail until second dealer replaced it with a brand new TCM. Still jerks a little bit but not as pronounced. Have to learn to live with it. But will go back to Toyota or Honda next time.

The overall size of the van is perfect for my family. Easy to maneuver, feels like a car.

Spend some more time improving the transmission. It is obvious that it is a manufacturer design problem.

Great Minivan
By Dannyman

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great Minivan and Great Deal !. Fits in my small garage. Great ride and exterior. Fantastic interior. Smooth engine and transmission. Got mine with plus and 4 seasons packages for around 20K (incl. TTL). A generous trade-in allowance was an added plus. I might be a dad now, but I still got some "zoom- zoom" in me :-)

Versatile seating arrangement.

Fix the gear shift level, because it blocks the audio controls.

Mazda MPV- Best Minivan- Period
By jcarlson24

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Minivan for the sport family. We have 3 children who love the multiple positions of the rear seats, with 2 performance oriented adults driving. I recently hanged with a mustang and camaro at red light, how embarrassing for them!

Good buy
By AverageTim

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have only had this MPV for 7 months but we love it. It was a great value with rebates at the time. It is right sized, has good performance, comfortable ride, and looks good. The transmission is the weak point as it does not shift smoothly. The 200 hp engine is good for its size and weight.

Fits in garage and parking spaces easily. It handles well for a minivan.

Transmission could be tweaked to up shift and down shift better.