Used 2004 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda MPV

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Most Helpful|
Great Bang for the Buck
By tlauro

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our MPV has been great. We saw it as the best blend of performance, handling, styling and utility available for the money. The only issues thus far have been a 'jerking' in the transmission on occasion. My understanding is that Mazda is aware and that there is a fix. We just have to bring it in. Overall, no major complaints. Build quality is excellent. No rattles or squeaks even!

Favorite Features

Suspension: Handles great. Most minivans are big and heavy. The MPV handles like a sport-van which is nice for those making a transition from a car to a van but don't want a bowl of jelly when taking curves.

Suggested Improvements

Mazda needs to add a switch to turn on all the lights inside the van. Also, an auto locking feature would be nice. Stock sound system is horrible. 17" Touring Tires should be standard. The stock 16's are a bit small and Dunlops ride a bit harsh.

too small for this 6 ft. man
By jim

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The ride of the MPV is wonderful. Very car-like. Unfortunately, if someone with legs is sitting behind the driver (if it's me), there's not enough room for both of us. The lack of room is my biggest gripe. We also have no Mazda dealer in our town of 46,000, so we have to drive it 45 minutes away every time the check engine light comes on, which is a lot. Then I have to drive it back down for the repair. It's a hassle. And for such a short van, the gas mileage is terrible, between 19-21 mpg. On the positive side, if nobody is sitting behind me and I'm not worried about mileage, it's a very nice car to drive.

Favorite Features

I've got a sunroof, which is unnecessary, and power doors, which is unnecessary. I like the roof rack and the smooth, car-like ride, and the feeling of stability.

Suggested Improvements

The MPV simply needs to be longer, and with greatly improved gas mileage. At the same price as I paid, it would then be a close to perfect van. A dealership in my town would help too.

Don't buy Mazda
By NOtoMAZDA

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my minivan in '03, after researching several makes I thought the reviews for Mazda gave the impression it was a reliable Japanese quality minivan, was I wrong. After shelling out over $32000 with the Mazda assurance plan that it will provide a free loaner vehicle for warranty work, they make a real inconvience to get one and hit you with a copay. Warranty work is not done the 1st time and if they work on more it more than twice you are responsible for paying the warranty work not Mazda. I still have defects that were never fixed. Looking for new vehicle, it won't be a Mazda!!

Suggested Improvements

Warranty their product, live up to their promise to their customers and more storage capacity.

Poor
By Unhappy customer

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Horrible gas milage. I drive slow and easy, and went through gas like it was water. Bought it bacause of the supposed great gas milage. My Ford F250 4x4 gets 10 times better fuel milage. Very poor mini van. Sold it a few months after I bought it.

Favorite Features

Looks of front of van

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas milage, looks of back of van. Van too small.

Lovely but not trouble-free
By val222

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have 2003 ES model. Fun to drive and perfectly capable of hauling a family of 5 with all the cargo. Best handling and extremely goof-looking interior. Reliability is questionable - we had tranny replaced on a long trip when the car stalled on a highway at 7pm in December. Had to spend 3 days in upstate NY on our way to Florida while waiting for the replacement (at Mazda's expense). Electric doors frequently malfunction.

Favorite Features

Interior is great. Seats are very comfortable. Middle row is great when switching from carrying kids to carrying adults.

Suggested Improvements

Climat control (not available even in ES). Manual one alaways too cold / too hot and very dependent on engine speed. Temperature control needs adjustment when moving from hwy to town. Electric doors need some debugging.