Used 2004 Mazda MPV Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Great Car for the money
By Robert

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We considered the Sienna and Caravan but found this was best deal for the money. We purchased our MPV in November after the birth of our second child. It is very easy to get the kids into and out of the car. My wife says it has changed her whole opinion on minivans and we are now considering buying a second one for her to replace her luxury sedan. We have only found one drawback I have the 17 inch tires and recently had a blowout due to road debris and was shocked when it cost me $160 to replace and I had to wait a week because the tire was special order, ouch!

Third row fold flat seat, second row sliding feature, six disc CD changer.

Would like to see a 60/40 split like the Sienna on the third row so it is not an all or nothing venture. Use a more common tire size with the sport package.

Excellent minivan
By TDB

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this '04 about a month ago. Have put 2000 miles on with a recent 1000 mile trip. Good comfort for all 5 passengers. Averaged 23.5 mpg fully loaded with roof cargo carrier in place. This was at speeds between 70-75 mph in some headwinds on the return trip. A more refined van than our Grand Caravan; it does have a little less interior space. Excellent drivetrain and much better ride and interior noise levels. The fold into the floor rear seat is great.

Drivetrain, CD player, exterior looks.

Slightly more interior room.

Great van overall
By haile

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have 3 kids. This van is a perfect choice. The price to own is the best on the market. The extended warranty from Mazda up to 100,000 miles is very reasonable and it gives you peace of mind.

Rear outlet for A/C and heat. Seating and interior layout is very smart and convenient.

The gear shift handle is a bit too long. It blocks the AC and radio controls. H-rated tires make the ride a little stiff. I wish Mazda had put S or T rated tires on instead.

great van, but....
By Sarah Agee

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This van is so fun and sporty! I had a Maxima before and this van drives just like the car did. I love it!

Controls on steering wheel and fold down seating in the rear. Love the slide over 2nd row seating and the roll down widows in the back.

The gear shift is right in the way of heating and cooling controls. There should be a button on the keyless entry to open back hatch as well. Arm rests need to be softer and more plush.

Great small minivan
By Chris

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I did a lot of research before buying this minivan. We narrowed it down to the Toyota Sienna and the Mazda MPV. The size of the vehicle was the primary concern because we have a small two car garage attached to our Cape style house. I drove both the Sienna and the MPV into the garage when test-driving. The MPV is smaller, and therefore was a more comfortable fit. When we test drove both vehicles, the Sienna had a smoother ride, but the braking was more laborious. The MPV felt more sporty, and the braking was much easier. The Sienna had slightly better gas mileage (1 mpg better). However, the MPV just had so many more features for less money - and all of that with a government 5 star crash rating.

Sporty look, sporty feel, more features standard.

The shifting arm is a little awkward.