Used 2004 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Van for Young at Heart
By BRIAN KIRBY

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van for my wife for Christmas '04. She was against a minivan, except for a Mazda. We both agreed that it is the only van that looks even somewhat sporty. We have had NO problems with it of any kind. The only thing that can be annoying is the stiffer than normal ride. I can still deal with it though. It just mostly rattles change and other items stored in its many compartments. I am very pleased with the quality and value this van has provided. Definitely the best vehicle I have owned. Very smooth engine. Quick and sporty without a minivan sway and feel of bulk. Fuel mileage on the highway is actually better than my 2000 Ford Focus. The 5 speed auto helps keep revs down. GREAT VAN.

17" wheels look great. Very sporty looking front end. Handling is excellent. "Disappearing" rear seat cup holders - lots of 'em. Rear A/C controls. Steering wheel radio controls. Nice gauges.

Smoother ride. Better horn. Fold-in-floor mid-row seats. More power (who has enough in a minivan?). Rear HEAT controls.

2004 Mazda MPV Review
By A. Carmona

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Compared to Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet minivans, the MPV is a much better value, especially for a small family of four or perhaps even 5.

Drives more like an SUV than a minivan. I like the sliding rear doors on both sides and the roll down windows.

More advertising comparing to the bigger vans. Perhaps improving the horsepower to be able to tow an average size power boat and trailer.

Good minivan
By Gabriel

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this van after we drove a Ford Windstar, Toyota Highlander, a few other SUVs and visited the annual L.A. Auto show. Has good power, expected interior size and folding chairs. On a tight budget so we ended with the MPV in the garage for $18,000 (including taxes). Feels slow when stepped on the gas (comparing to my 87' T-bird), but braking is good. Has the largest turning of any car I ever drove - U-turn is a problem. The gear shifter is - dumb - placed across the AC and radio controls. Cheap arm rests. Shortly after purchase, the water pump was leaking coolant on the hot engine, fumes were coming in the inside. Fixed on warranty. A bumper crash in the rear made a $3200 damage.

Good power for a minivan, sportier than other minivans. Keeps the gear down for uphill power. Two sliding doors, power windows on the sliding doors. Folding rear seat. Good warranty.

Dumb placement of the gear shifter across the AC and radio controls. Worst turning circle. Poor fuel economy (18 mpg average) and fumes from the engine in the cabin.

Best Van for the Buck!!!
By Joe Ambrosio

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this Van for $21,000 from the dealer brand new. We looked at the Odyssey, and Sienna first but couldn't justify the cost of those other vans. The MPV is stylish and the power sliding doors always gets comments and looks from bystanders!It also handles like a car much better than a camry or an accord!!!I love my MPV!!!It's also not as cumbersome as the other vans this is good since the wife drives it most of the time and it fits in compact spaces.We used to have an SUV before this and that felt like a truck.I highly recommend this van if you have a small family.

Looks, Handling and nimbleness. Great gas mileage and Dual power sliding doors.Flat folding rear seat.

Smoother Engine, Shifter blocks radio and climate controls when in drive.Remote trunk access(Why have power sliding doors but a manual trunk???)

Large Family Loves it So Far
By njmaryd

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought '04 LX w/ 14k. 1 mo, 1500 miles later we are in love! No problem seating everyone and fitting all FOUR carseats. Nice alternative to bulky mini-vans that looks good and is affordable.

Power Sliding Doors and HUGE Power Moonroof. The exterior actually looks sporty and very up to date. Drives like a car not a boat like our Windstar. Lots of cool little extras in interior.

More room between 1st and second row. More cargo space in back.