Used 2004 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda MPV

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

too small for this 6 ft. man
By jim

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The ride of the MPV is wonderful. Very car-like. Unfortunately, if someone with legs is sitting behind the driver (if it's me), there's not enough room for both of us. The lack of room is my biggest gripe. We also have no Mazda dealer in our town of 46,000, so we have to drive it 45 minutes away every time the check engine light comes on, which is a lot. Then I have to drive it back down for the repair. It's a hassle. And for such a short van, the gas mileage is terrible, between 19-21 mpg. On the positive side, if nobody is sitting behind me and I'm not worried about mileage, it's a very nice car to drive.

Favorite Features

I've got a sunroof, which is unnecessary, and power doors, which is unnecessary. I like the roof rack and the smooth, car-like ride, and the feeling of stability.

Suggested Improvements

The MPV simply needs to be longer, and with greatly improved gas mileage. At the same price as I paid, it would then be a close to perfect van. A dealership in my town would help too.

Good Quality
By Edco

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall the MPV is good quality but a very hard ride. Having struts instead of shocks makes a big difference in the ride. I get only 21mpg on the road and about 17 in town. The short wheel base also contributes to the harder ride. On a 10 scale I would give the MPV a 7

Favorite Features

Windows in the sliding doors that come down.

Suggested Improvements

Softer ride. Lock on the lift gate that can be unlocked with remote key and from the inside with a release button or switch.

MPV 2004
By Mims

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Horrible performance with this vehicle. Has been in for service 7 times within 2 years. 4 times requiring tow. Very dissatisfied with vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Improved electrical system, Improved engine. Improve quality of interior fabrics. Improve reliability.

Highly Recommend
By MPV Mom of 3

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2004 ES new and got a great deal with rebates & discounts. I thought I really wanted an Odyssey because I've always had Hondas, but after driving this one I was sold! Much nicer layout on inside, had more room up front for my 6 foot 2 husband and that really sold him (he did not want a minivan at all, but after he drove it he changed his mind). It is just a beautiful van and drives like a dream! We have 3 kids and there's plenty of room for everyone even with the baby seat (love the latch system for the infant seat). The MPV was a much better buy than the Odyssey and looks so much better. I also like that it is a bit smaller and I'm not driving a big box!

Favorite Features

Power sliding doors come in handy when your arms are full of groceries or kids, 6-disc cd changer, rear air for back passengers, roll-down passenger windows.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I don't like is the quality of the leather, which they changed for the 2004 model year (doesn't seem as high quality as in previous models).

Nice van
By c whitaker

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is our 2nd MPV. We bought new because the warranty is excellent. Good buy too compared to other minivans.

Favorite Features

Roll down back windows and fold-away third row seat.

Suggested Improvements

There needs to be a way for the driver to turn on an auxiliary light for the persons in the back.