2004 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Great van overall
By haile on 04/06/05 07:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have 3 kids. This van is a perfect choice. The price to own is the best on the market. The extended warranty from Mazda up to 100,000 miles is very reasonable and it gives you peace of mind.

great van, but....
By Sarah Agee on 03/22/05 14:29 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This van is so fun and sporty! I had a Maxima before and this van drives just like the car did. I love it!

Great small minivan
By Chris on 03/20/05 11:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I did a lot of research before buying this minivan. We narrowed it down to the Toyota Sienna and the Mazda MPV. The size of the vehicle was the primary concern because we have a small two car garage attached to our Cape style house. I drove both the Sienna and the MPV into the garage when test-driving. The MPV is smaller, and therefore was a more comfortable fit. When we test drove both vehicles, the Sienna had a smoother ride, but the braking was more laborious. The MPV felt more sporty, and the braking was much easier. The Sienna had slightly better gas mileage (1 mpg better). However, the MPV just had so many more features for less money - and all of that with a government 5 star crash rating.

Best minivan for small families!
By slw1123 on 02/19/05 03:19 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I just purchased a used 2004 MPV with 18k miles on it. We have a 15 month old and are expecting another baby soon. The MPV has lots of space without being too boxy or too large. It's easy to get a toddler in/out of carseats in the 2nd row. It would be nice to have a tad more leg room/space between the front and 2nd row but it's fine for kids. I love the cargo space and the "lay flat" 3 row seat. I also like the steering wheel radio controls and the center console that can be up or down. The handling of the MPV is awesome! Feels like you're driving a luxury car instead of a minivan. It turns smoothly and easily, accelerates beautifully (but I'm a conservative Mommy).

Transmission quirks
By Dee A. on 01/09/05 16:35 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Van is excellent except for the transmission. It jerks shifting from 2nd to 3rd especially on a stop and go traffic. Brakes are noisy first thing in the morning, disappears after it warms up. Had the TCM reflashed 3 times to correct the transmission jerk to no avail until second dealer replaced it with a brand new TCM. Still jerks a little bit but not as pronounced. Have to learn to live with it. But will go back to Toyota or Honda next time.

Great Minivan
By Dannyman on 12/29/04 16:44 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great Minivan and Great Deal !. Fits in my small garage. Great ride and exterior. Fantastic interior. Smooth engine and transmission. Got mine with plus and 4 seasons packages for around 20K (incl. TTL). A generous trade-in allowance was an added plus. I might be a dad now, but I still got some "zoom- zoom" in me :-)

Mazda MPV- Best Minivan- Period
By jcarlson24 on 12/27/04 18:44 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Minivan for the sport family. We have 3 children who love the multiple positions of the rear seats, with 2 performance oriented adults driving. I recently hanged with a mustang and camaro at red light, how embarrassing for them!

Good buy
By AverageTim on 12/15/04 11:25 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have only had this MPV for 7 months but we love it. It was a great value with rebates at the time. It is right sized, has good performance, comfortable ride, and looks good. The transmission is the weak point as it does not shift smoothly. The 200 hp engine is good for its size and weight.

Easiest choice I ever made
By blackMPV on 12/13/04 09:16 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice van to replace our '04 trailblazer (nightmare car!). Great handling, peppy drivetrain, compact package, quality looking and feeling interior bits. Reliability has been great despite warnings to contrary-drove rental MPV for 3500 miles with no probs and liked it well enough to buy an 04 which now has 2000 mi on it. Stable, surefooted handling and silky smooth tranny make for a fun drive (in a minivan?!) Kids like roll down windows in side doors. People complain about shift lever in way of radio-no problems if you use controls on steering wheel (actually, no real problem anyway). We enjoy this van as much as our first Honda Ody but without the transmission problems of the Ody.

Reliable, good value, fun, but smallish
By Bartman on 12/05/04 15:19 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Replacing 8-yr old Grand Caravan. After months of research, considered and compared Sienna & MPV as two most reliable alternatives. Didn't consider Odyssey - too many transmission failures (although some MPV owners had transmission shift-shock issue; now resolved with updated transmission software flash). I preferred larger size of Sienna; even bigger than Grand Caravan. But price was definitely an issue and wife preferred smaller size, maneuverability, handling, and looks of MPV. For less money, MPV ES also has more standard features than Sienna LE: leather, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, 2 power sliding doors, and alloys. If you have a smaller family and smaller size is OK, then recommend MPV.