Used 2004 Mazda MPV ES Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Stay away from the 2004 Mazda MPV
By rvgray13

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van used from a dealer. It didn't have a lot of miles on it (less than 50K, I think). It has been nothing but problems, coil packs go out regularly (I've replaced at least 6 times), shift shock, front end control arms, hub bearings, tie rods. Terrible gas mileage. I have contacted Mazda corporate several times and they pretend they haven't heard of the issues. Funny how the complaints are all over the web. I think the transmission just went out and I am leaning towards junking it and getting else.

It looks pretty sporty for a minivan. When it was running good (which wasn't often) it is pretty fun to drive.

Design flaw with the coil packs and transmission.

Best mini van I ever owened!
By emsoccermom

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this all most new it had 6000 miles on it. I have 230,000 miles on it. The miles were split between stop and go and highway miles. I have only had minor things brake like the drivers side window motor. I have had nothing mojor, knock on wood.

3rd row seating, fold in floor/ tailgate. radio tuning in steering wheel.

better radio vlume control for rear and front of car.

Multiple problems with coils in engine
By Lorf

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle used in 2008 with about 40,000 miles. Loved it at first, rode smoothly, feels like a car, looks great for a minivan and love that the sliding door windows roll down. Fast forward to about 75,000 miles. The first engine coil goes. 90,000 two more blow. Now at 101,000 miles, the 4th coil is being replaced tomorrow. There is a design defect in the coil placement in this MPV that allows water to enter the coils, and shorten the live considerably. Some other little things here and there, but the engine is the big issue. Trading it in for a more reliable vehicle right after the repair is done.

Factory recall for defective design of engine coils. This should not be an expense owners should bear.

A Really Nice Van
By Ron

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We love this van. However we did have to replace the catalytic converter at about 74,000 miles (covered under mfg. warranty). Also, had a water problem. After a rain we opened both side doors and water came gushing out. None on the carpet. Just on the running boards. Took it back to dealership. They said some flaps under the van were not fastened properly. No problems since. Don't like the shifter where it is.

Back seat and captain chairs fold flat for cargo. Lots of power. Nice looking van.

Move the shifter. Fix the problem with water getting in around the running boards.

91K and need new engine
By L Reynolds

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 2004 Mazda MPV was reliable until about 65K when I started having trouble with numerous ignition coils. The last straw was last week - replaced all three rear coils - #3 kept misfiring and dealership recommended to replace them all. Then ck eng. light came on again and they cleaned fuel injectors. Light came on again, they turned it off because it said #3 coil again and it was just replaced. Last Friday started and it shook like a go cart - had it towed - now I am told the engine is blown. They want $7K to replace and $3300 for a rebuilt with 1 yr warranty. So frustrating - used to love this van but now am afraid of all its problems - don't know whether to fix - worth $500. now!

Love the fact that back seats can be removed - great for hauling college stuff. Also love that back windows go down.

Cannot see radio or a/c because shift arm in the way. Also had rust that they told me was the "wrong" kind for the warranty to cover - found out that was BS - should have been covered according to several reputable body shops.