Used 2004 Mazda MPV LX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Bought new in 2004, now has 170,000 and going strong
By kaiserdr

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I rarely give anything five stars but the service I have had on this vehicle deserves it. I bought my MPV brand new from the dealer and only had routine problems. My vehicle is approaching 170,000 miles and runs perfectly. We have maintained the exterior and interior of this vehicle. If the engine fails, I will buy a rebuilt engine, install it, and hope it lasts as long as the one now. I was recently at the dealer to have the air-bag replaced and a mechanic there said several owners bring their MPVs in for maintenance and have more than 250,000 miles on them. The only unexpected failure I had on this vehicle was last year when the sunroof leaked and I had to replace the seal.

Power sliding doors are great, with controls on the driver panel and beside each door. Great for hauling, I am an insurance adjuster and often take this on claims all over the U.S. Rear seats fold down and rear passenger seats are removable. Often when I am on the road I have two extension ladders and a sleeping bag (for frequent naps when traveling long distance) and have lots of room. I also have a ladder rack on top that will hold two extension ladders. For a van the gas mileage estimates here are correct, not bad for a full-size vehicle.

Presume that now most cars have spark plugs with coils on each plug--I would prefer the older coil and distributor cap. In 11 years I have had to replace four plugs one every few years and boy are they expensive. Also impossible for me to replace myself.

Loved this Van
By rose74

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I never had much wrong with my mazda mpv. I drove it for almost 8 yrs. It only had alittle over 100,000 miles on it. I replaced all my coil packs, vacum hose, and brakes. it ran as smoothe as it did the day I bought it. I was in an accident and they totaled it. I looked for another one but none close to me. I like my other van now but miss my Mazda Alot.

Great scores but.....
By PatrickInAlabama

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The issue is once we approached 5 years/80K miles, the engine light came on. It's been downhill ever since. After 8 visits to 5 different shops including the dealer, we paid $3K to fix the catalytic converter. The final straw is 1 day after forking over $3,000, the light comes on again and the transmission shifts all over the place. The dealer has no clue. If you ever are told you have to replace the catalytic converter ....don't. Time to go shopping. We were told we need to spend another $300 for some assembly and the guy wasn't sure this would fix the problem.

I can park the MPV anywhere. Nothing short of a subcompact can touch the MPV in maneuverability.

Not sure about this. After 5 years and 80K miles the vehicle went downhill fast. What's astounding is that the dealer had no clue what was going wrong and he had a technician come in from Atlanta to take a look.

Worst product ever presented
By Gabriel

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I purchased this vehicle roughly two years ago. This vehicle has been in the shop 6 times since we purchased it. It has a broken catalytic converter, bad fuel injectors, bad wheel bearing, bad water pump, bad transmission, bad transmission mounts, bad engine mounts. This list goes on and on. We've put over $8000 in this car that isn't even worth $3000. It has been the worst investment that we've ever made in our 24 years of existence. I hope that they're able to remedy these problems because I can't believe that these cars are even on the road.

It can hold myself, my wife, and three children. That's it.

Everything need to be revamped.

Great First Van
By Ike

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I always hated vans, but as a father, I had to give in. I got rid of my "grampa-style" sedan and my 4x4 truck and got one family vehicle. I debated between an SUV and a Minivan, today I drive the MPV. Granted I miss my comfy seats sedan and its leather seats, sub-woofer, moon-roof, etc., but I'm impressed by this van. It was well thought out. The variable seating configuration is amazing. I added Limo Tint and a rooftop LCD and we even go sit in the back seat, eat dinner and watch a movie inside the van. It drives and handles very well. I just wish the driver seat was a lot more comfortable, its too hard and too short.

The seating arrangement!! WOW. I also like the fold up center tray, the large storage compartments in front, cup holders, etc. Mine is a sport model and I love that it does not look like a mini-van.

Yep, the shifter blocks the view of the AC, which is 100% annoying. The front seats need to be bigger, longer, I like them up to my knees. As it stands, it gets uncomfortable in the long trips. I would also relocate the fuel door so you can open the door at the same time.