Used 2004 Mazda MPV ES Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Most Helpful|
Multiple problems with coils in engine
By Lorf

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle used in 2008 with about 40,000 miles. Loved it at first, rode smoothly, feels like a car, looks great for a minivan and love that the sliding door windows roll down. Fast forward to about 75,000 miles. The first engine coil goes. 90,000 two more blow. Now at 101,000 miles, the 4th coil is being replaced tomorrow. There is a design defect in the coil placement in this MPV that allows water to enter the coils, and shorten the live considerably. Some other little things here and there, but the engine is the big issue. Trading it in for a more reliable vehicle right after the repair is done.

Suggested Improvements

Factory recall for defective design of engine coils. This should not be an expense owners should bear.

Best mini van I ever owened!
By emsoccermom

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this all most new it had 6000 miles on it. I have 230,000 miles on it. The miles were split between stop and go and highway miles. I have only had minor things brake like the drivers side window motor. I have had nothing mojor, knock on wood.

Favorite Features

3rd row seating, fold in floor/ tailgate. radio tuning in steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

better radio vlume control for rear and front of car.

A Really Nice Van
By Ron

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We love this van. However we did have to replace the catalytic converter at about 74,000 miles (covered under mfg. warranty). Also, had a water problem. After a rain we opened both side doors and water came gushing out. None on the carpet. Just on the running boards. Took it back to dealership. They said some flaps under the van were not fastened properly. No problems since. Don't like the shifter where it is.

Favorite Features

Back seat and captain chairs fold flat for cargo. Lots of power. Nice looking van.

Suggested Improvements

Move the shifter. Fix the problem with water getting in around the running boards.

Great, but need some help
By Sm00ve

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My van is my baby (I loves my dog [Wuff]). The biggest problem I have is that I can't find a maintenance manual for the body. She's at 100K miles, but I can't change the rear brakes because I can't adjust them out far enough to accommodate new shoes (they're pretty tricky for rear disc brakes). Other than that, she's great. I even figured out how to change the spark plugs without having to drop the main harness or the engine (not the easiest thing to do, but it's doable).

Favorite Features

I have to give it to the 5-speed transmission. I love how she handles Wyoming and Colorado (the mountains are not a problem)...

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I can think of is in the AC dept. It's easy to forget about the button behind the gearshift. Who's bright idea was it to put the button there?

91K and need new engine
By L Reynolds

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 2004 Mazda MPV was reliable until about 65K when I started having trouble with numerous ignition coils. The last straw was last week - replaced all three rear coils - #3 kept misfiring and dealership recommended to replace them all. Then ck eng. light came on again and they cleaned fuel injectors. Light came on again, they turned it off because it said #3 coil again and it was just replaced. Last Friday started and it shook like a go cart - had it towed - now I am told the engine is blown. They want $7K to replace and $3300 for a rebuilt with 1 yr warranty. So frustrating - used to love this van but now am afraid of all its problems - don't know whether to fix - worth $500. now!

Favorite Features

Love the fact that back seats can be removed - great for hauling college stuff. Also love that back windows go down.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot see radio or a/c because shift arm in the way. Also had rust that they told me was the "wrong" kind for the warranty to cover - found out that was BS - should have been covered according to several reputable body shops.