Used 2004 Mazda MPV LX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Loved this Van
By rose74

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I never had much wrong with my mazda mpv. I drove it for almost 8 yrs. It only had alittle over 100,000 miles on it. I replaced all my coil packs, vacum hose, and brakes. it ran as smoothe as it did the day I bought it. I was in an accident and they totaled it. I looked for another one but none close to me. I like my other van now but miss my Mazda Alot.

Great scores but.....
By PatrickInAlabama

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The issue is once we approached 5 years/80K miles, the engine light came on. It's been downhill ever since. After 8 visits to 5 different shops including the dealer, we paid $3K to fix the catalytic converter. The final straw is 1 day after forking over $3,000, the light comes on again and the transmission shifts all over the place. The dealer has no clue. If you ever are told you have to replace the catalytic converter ....don't. Time to go shopping. We were told we need to spend another $300 for some assembly and the guy wasn't sure this would fix the problem.

Favorite Features

I can park the MPV anywhere. Nothing short of a subcompact can touch the MPV in maneuverability.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure about this. After 5 years and 80K miles the vehicle went downhill fast. What's astounding is that the dealer had no clue what was going wrong and he had a technician come in from Atlanta to take a look.

Worst product ever presented
By Gabriel

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I purchased this vehicle roughly two years ago. This vehicle has been in the shop 6 times since we purchased it. It has a broken catalytic converter, bad fuel injectors, bad wheel bearing, bad water pump, bad transmission, bad transmission mounts, bad engine mounts. This list goes on and on. We've put over $8000 in this car that isn't even worth $3000. It has been the worst investment that we've ever made in our 24 years of existence. I hope that they're able to remedy these problems because I can't believe that these cars are even on the road.

Favorite Features

It can hold myself, my wife, and three children. That's it.

Suggested Improvements

Everything need to be revamped.

Great First Van
By Ike

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I always hated vans, but as a father, I had to give in. I got rid of my "grampa-style" sedan and my 4x4 truck and got one family vehicle. I debated between an SUV and a Minivan, today I drive the MPV. Granted I miss my comfy seats sedan and its leather seats, sub-woofer, moon-roof, etc., but I'm impressed by this van. It was well thought out. The variable seating configuration is amazing. I added Limo Tint and a rooftop LCD and we even go sit in the back seat, eat dinner and watch a movie inside the van. It drives and handles very well. I just wish the driver seat was a lot more comfortable, its too hard and too short.

Favorite Features

The seating arrangement!! WOW. I also like the fold up center tray, the large storage compartments in front, cup holders, etc. Mine is a sport model and I love that it does not look like a mini-van.

Suggested Improvements

Yep, the shifter blocks the view of the AC, which is 100% annoying. The front seats need to be bigger, longer, I like them up to my knees. As it stands, it gets uncomfortable in the long trips. I would also relocate the fuel door so you can open the door at the same time.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By Zak

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2004 MPV has been by far the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I've had a LOT of vehicles. We've owned this for over 4 years and it now has 105,000 miles. Great fuel mileage, 29 on the highway, very reliable and I still like the styling for a minivan. Interior is a bit small for a van but makes up for it in styling and fuel mileage. I have 3 children, ages 6 and under and we use this vehicle everyday, from short trips taking the oldest to school to LONG road trips to places like Maine and Disney World (We live in PA so it is a long drive to either). We had a few odd issues while under warranty but since then only issues have been parts that were due to be replaced, like coils etc.

Favorite Features

Styling, exterior and interior. Fuel mileage, handling and RELIABILITY! Not a single issue in 105,000 miles. Also love the fact that the passenger side second row captions chair slides making it easier to get in the back and makes it easy to separate the kids sitting there!

Suggested Improvements

Wish I had bought it with the roof rack. Moonroof option. Slightly larger interior. 3rd row is tough to get 3 people across. Other than that, love it.