2004 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Loved this Van
By rose74 on 01/17/13 07:25 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I never had much wrong with my mazda mpv. I drove it for almost 8 yrs. It only had alittle over 100,000 miles on it. I replaced all my coil packs, vacum hose, and brakes. it ran as smoothe as it did the day I bought it. I was in an accident and they totaled it. I looked for another one but none close to me. I like my other van now but miss my Mazda Alot.

Best mini van I ever owened!
By emsoccermom on 09/18/12 12:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this all most new it had 6000 miles on it. I have 230,000 miles on it. The miles were split between stop and go and highway miles. I have only had minor things brake like the drivers side window motor. I have had nothing mojor, knock on wood.

Multiple problems with coils in engine
By Lorf on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle used in 2008 with about 40,000 miles. Loved it at first, rode smoothly, feels like a car, looks great for a minivan and love that the sliding door windows roll down. Fast forward to about 75,000 miles. The first engine coil goes. 90,000 two more blow. Now at 101,000 miles, the 4th coil is being replaced tomorrow. There is a design defect in the coil placement in this MPV that allows water to enter the coils, and shorten the live considerably. Some other little things here and there, but the engine is the big issue. Trading it in for a more reliable vehicle right after the repair is done.

A Really Nice Van
By Ron on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We love this van. However we did have to replace the catalytic converter at about 74,000 miles (covered under mfg. warranty). Also, had a water problem. After a rain we opened both side doors and water came gushing out. None on the carpet. Just on the running boards. Took it back to dealership. They said some flaps under the van were not fastened properly. No problems since. Don't like the shifter where it is.

91K and need new engine
By L Reynolds on 07/23/10 19:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 2004 Mazda MPV was reliable until about 65K when I started having trouble with numerous ignition coils. The last straw was last week - replaced all three rear coils - #3 kept misfiring and dealership recommended to replace them all. Then ck eng. light came on again and they cleaned fuel injectors. Light came on again, they turned it off because it said #3 coil again and it was just replaced. Last Friday started and it shook like a go cart - had it towed - now I am told the engine is blown. They want $7K to replace and $3300 for a rebuilt with 1 yr warranty. So frustrating - used to love this van but now am afraid of all its problems - don't know whether to fix - worth $500. now!

Great scores but.....
By PatrickInAlabama on 02/03/10 11:25 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The issue is once we approached 5 years/80K miles, the engine light came on. It's been downhill ever since. After 8 visits to 5 different shops including the dealer, we paid $3K to fix the catalytic converter. The final straw is 1 day after forking over $3,000, the light comes on again and the transmission shifts all over the place. The dealer has no clue. If you ever are told you have to replace the catalytic converter ....don't. Time to go shopping. We were told we need to spend another $300 for some assembly and the guy wasn't sure this would fix the problem.

Worst product ever presented
By Gabriel on 11/11/09 13:26 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I purchased this vehicle roughly two years ago. This vehicle has been in the shop 6 times since we purchased it. It has a broken catalytic converter, bad fuel injectors, bad wheel bearing, bad water pump, bad transmission, bad transmission mounts, bad engine mounts. This list goes on and on. We've put over $8000 in this car that isn't even worth $3000. It has been the worst investment that we've ever made in our 24 years of existence. I hope that they're able to remedy these problems because I can't believe that these cars are even on the road.

Great, but need some help
By Sm00ve on 10/15/09 16:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My van is my baby (I loves my dog [Wuff]). The biggest problem I have is that I can't find a maintenance manual for the body. She's at 100K miles, but I can't change the rear brakes because I can't adjust them out far enough to accommodate new shoes (they're pretty tricky for rear disc brakes). Other than that, she's great. I even figured out how to change the spark plugs without having to drop the main harness or the engine (not the easiest thing to do, but it's doable).

Great First Van
By Ike on 04/01/09 12:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I always hated vans, but as a father, I had to give in. I got rid of my "grampa-style" sedan and my 4x4 truck and got one family vehicle. I debated between an SUV and a Minivan, today I drive the MPV. Granted I miss my comfy seats sedan and its leather seats, sub-woofer, moon-roof, etc., but I'm impressed by this van. It was well thought out. The variable seating configuration is amazing. I added Limo Tint and a rooftop LCD and we even go sit in the back seat, eat dinner and watch a movie inside the van. It drives and handles very well. I just wish the driver seat was a lot more comfortable, its too hard and too short.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By Zak on 03/30/09 19:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2004 MPV has been by far the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I've had a LOT of vehicles. We've owned this for over 4 years and it now has 105,000 miles. Great fuel mileage, 29 on the highway, very reliable and I still like the styling for a minivan. Interior is a bit small for a van but makes up for it in styling and fuel mileage. I have 3 children, ages 6 and under and we use this vehicle everyday, from short trips taking the oldest to school to LONG road trips to places like Maine and Disney World (We live in PA so it is a long drive to either). We had a few odd issues while under warranty but since then only issues have been parts that were due to be replaced, like coils etc.