2004 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Best mini van I ever owened!
By emsoccermom on 09/18/12 12:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this all most new it had 6000 miles on it. I have 230,000 miles on it. The miles were split between stop and go and highway miles. I have only had minor things brake like the drivers side window motor. I have had nothing mojor, knock on wood.

Multiple problems with coils in engine
By Lorf on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle used in 2008 with about 40,000 miles. Loved it at first, rode smoothly, feels like a car, looks great for a minivan and love that the sliding door windows roll down. Fast forward to about 75,000 miles. The first engine coil goes. 90,000 two more blow. Now at 101,000 miles, the 4th coil is being replaced tomorrow. There is a design defect in the coil placement in this MPV that allows water to enter the coils, and shorten the live considerably. Some other little things here and there, but the engine is the big issue. Trading it in for a more reliable vehicle right after the repair is done.

A Really Nice Van
By Ron on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We love this van. However we did have to replace the catalytic converter at about 74,000 miles (covered under mfg. warranty). Also, had a water problem. After a rain we opened both side doors and water came gushing out. None on the carpet. Just on the running boards. Took it back to dealership. They said some flaps under the van were not fastened properly. No problems since. Don't like the shifter where it is.

91K and need new engine
By L Reynolds on 07/23/10 19:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 2004 Mazda MPV was reliable until about 65K when I started having trouble with numerous ignition coils. The last straw was last week - replaced all three rear coils - #3 kept misfiring and dealership recommended to replace them all. Then ck eng. light came on again and they cleaned fuel injectors. Light came on again, they turned it off because it said #3 coil again and it was just replaced. Last Friday started and it shook like a go cart - had it towed - now I am told the engine is blown. They want $7K to replace and $3300 for a rebuilt with 1 yr warranty. So frustrating - used to love this van but now am afraid of all its problems - don't know whether to fix - worth $500. now!

Great, but need some help
By Sm00ve on 10/15/09 16:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My van is my baby (I loves my dog [Wuff]). The biggest problem I have is that I can't find a maintenance manual for the body. She's at 100K miles, but I can't change the rear brakes because I can't adjust them out far enough to accommodate new shoes (they're pretty tricky for rear disc brakes). Other than that, she's great. I even figured out how to change the spark plugs without having to drop the main harness or the engine (not the easiest thing to do, but it's doable).

2004 Mazda MPV - only get the rare ES!!
By Tyler on 11/24/07 18:59 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2003 MPV LX and loved it but then I decided to go for some new technology like the 2004 has. I looked at Odyssey and Sienna but they are really too bulky and wide which makes them unsafe to manuever out of someone's way. I loved the 2004 MPV (the new body style) but had to order an ES. ESes are very rare since they are the top model and I also wanted all the options and packages, DVD, sport package - very rare, sunroof.

Good Quality
By Edco on 11/02/06 04:42 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall the MPV is good quality but a very hard ride. Having struts instead of shocks makes a big difference in the ride. I get only 21mpg on the road and about 17 in town. The short wheel base also contributes to the harder ride. On a 10 scale I would give the MPV a 7

MPV 2004
By Mims on 09/07/06 17:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Horrible performance with this vehicle. Has been in for service 7 times within 2 years. 4 times requiring tow. Very dissatisfied with vehicle.

Highly Recommend
By MPV Mom of 3 on 07/27/06 13:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2004 ES new and got a great deal with rebates & discounts. I thought I really wanted an Odyssey because I've always had Hondas, but after driving this one I was sold! Much nicer layout on inside, had more room up front for my 6 foot 2 husband and that really sold him (he did not want a minivan at all, but after he drove it he changed his mind). It is just a beautiful van and drives like a dream! We have 3 kids and there's plenty of room for everyone even with the baby seat (love the latch system for the infant seat). The MPV was a much better buy than the Odyssey and looks so much better. I also like that it is a bit smaller and I'm not driving a big box!

Nice van
By c whitaker on 05/08/06 11:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is our 2nd MPV. We bought new because the warranty is excellent. Good buy too compared to other minivans.