2004 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Loved this Van
By rose74 on 01/17/13 07:25 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I never had much wrong with my mazda mpv. I drove it for almost 8 yrs. It only had alittle over 100,000 miles on it. I replaced all my coil packs, vacum hose, and brakes. it ran as smoothe as it did the day I bought it. I was in an accident and they totaled it. I looked for another one but none close to me. I like my other van now but miss my Mazda Alot.

Great scores but.....
By PatrickInAlabama on 02/03/10 11:25 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The issue is once we approached 5 years/80K miles, the engine light came on. It's been downhill ever since. After 8 visits to 5 different shops including the dealer, we paid $3K to fix the catalytic converter. The final straw is 1 day after forking over $3,000, the light comes on again and the transmission shifts all over the place. The dealer has no clue. If you ever are told you have to replace the catalytic converter ....don't. Time to go shopping. We were told we need to spend another $300 for some assembly and the guy wasn't sure this would fix the problem.

Worst product ever presented
By Gabriel on 11/11/09 13:26 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I purchased this vehicle roughly two years ago. This vehicle has been in the shop 6 times since we purchased it. It has a broken catalytic converter, bad fuel injectors, bad wheel bearing, bad water pump, bad transmission, bad transmission mounts, bad engine mounts. This list goes on and on. We've put over $8000 in this car that isn't even worth $3000. It has been the worst investment that we've ever made in our 24 years of existence. I hope that they're able to remedy these problems because I can't believe that these cars are even on the road.

Great First Van
By Ike on 04/01/09 12:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I always hated vans, but as a father, I had to give in. I got rid of my "grampa-style" sedan and my 4x4 truck and got one family vehicle. I debated between an SUV and a Minivan, today I drive the MPV. Granted I miss my comfy seats sedan and its leather seats, sub-woofer, moon-roof, etc., but I'm impressed by this van. It was well thought out. The variable seating configuration is amazing. I added Limo Tint and a rooftop LCD and we even go sit in the back seat, eat dinner and watch a movie inside the van. It drives and handles very well. I just wish the driver seat was a lot more comfortable, its too hard and too short.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By Zak on 03/30/09 19:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2004 MPV has been by far the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I've had a LOT of vehicles. We've owned this for over 4 years and it now has 105,000 miles. Great fuel mileage, 29 on the highway, very reliable and I still like the styling for a minivan. Interior is a bit small for a van but makes up for it in styling and fuel mileage. I have 3 children, ages 6 and under and we use this vehicle everyday, from short trips taking the oldest to school to LONG road trips to places like Maine and Disney World (We live in PA so it is a long drive to either). We had a few odd issues while under warranty but since then only issues have been parts that were due to be replaced, like coils etc.

Great Van
By Chris on 06/24/08 13:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have over 65k miles on my van now and still love it. Yes the gear shift lever is in a bad place and can easily be knocked out of gear but overall I am greatly satisfied. The only problem we have had so far is the coil packs are prone to go out which can leave you stranded (happened to us). Fits my family of 4 just fine with room in the back for all our stuff.

We love our MPV
By FamilyValues on 03/16/08 07:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only thing that bothers me about this minivan is that you can't see the AC button on the dash because the shift bar blocks its view. Otherwise, I have never been this happy with any other pre-owned vehicle. I would upgrade to a newer vsersion without thinking twice when the time comes.

Rust problem
By Sid on 01/04/08 19:07 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very disappointed. We bought the van in 2005. The van was left over from 2004 model year. We discovered the car has rust in the hatch back area and in the passenger under the door. The car still under warranty. The dealer just informed me that they will be fixing the rust, but I will never buy another Mazda. My Toyota Camry is 10 years old and it does not have any rust. Planning to sell it after dealer fixes it.

Mazda fun
By engtech on 11/07/07 03:50 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the MPV bucause it was the best value of all others in the class. Love the extras. Good ride and power. I have had a Mazda for 12 years and have had good luck with them all the way. It is nice to see a Japanese car without the high price.

Happy Owner
By R Travis on 08/29/07 22:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The vehicle has been a pleasure to own and drive. Its smaller size has proven to be a great asset, both in driving and garaging it. It is very comfortable, fun to drive and the gas mileage is surprisingly good. Its insurance ratings are good too, so the insurance premiums are moderate. It is a well liked and welcome member of our family.