Used 2003 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda MPV

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Happy After 3 years, 33K Miles
By Lynda Marie

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy w/ van. Not a single mechanical issue. I don't find the tranny shifter an issue, I use it as a guide for the radio (over) and the a/c (under). Plenty of power in CO mountains, yet decent mileage. Excellent (!) on snow & ice w/ new tires (who needs 4WD unless you need clearance?). Good on long trips. Size is big enough for lots of kids and stuff, but small enough to park almost anywhere. Handling better than expected from a minivan. Leather seating is easy to clean. Kids like their own heating/ac controls. Would buy another one if I "crunched" this one.

Favorite Features

Small package that can haul a lot of kids/things. Good handling, ease of parking in town. Decent gas mileage. Cheap acquisition, operation, insurance costs. GFX package makes it looks a little bit sporty (ok, it's not a sports car, but let us dream a little, ok?).

Suggested Improvements

Put better tires on as original equip! Better gas mileage. My other (better?) half says the seats could be a bit wider for men w/ wide shoulders; he would also like a slightly bigger V-6 engine. (He's used to 300HP, I have no such complaints, it goes JUST FINE!).

Soccer mom has got some go!
By kirk

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm 12 so I thought I'd give my Idea of this van. My mom found a brand new MPV; it was a 2003. So far we have found some cons on this. One positive is it has the power to pass a Ford Expedition or a Chevy Suburban and my dad's Mercedes Benz for that matter. Some problems are that for what ever reason it sucks gas! The dealer can't seem to describe what the van does but it does this thing were when you put it in gear the tranny clunks, shaking the van. It doesn't really do that though, only when its hot.

Favorite Features

Power doors, carbon fiber trim, rear sliding windows roll down.

Suggested Improvements

One touch moon roof! Fix the transmission problem.

Mazda MPV
By CS

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Other than wind noise when driving, this is a very nice family van.

Favorite Features

The rear folding seat is the best feature of this car.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise.

Recommended by a Van Enemy!
By doctorrafido

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We needed a bigger vehicle since our family became larger. It was either an SUV with a third row seat or a van. Couldn't go Odyssey, too expensive or GMC Suburban (bad gas mileage); MPV was the way to go. We bought it used with 32,000 miles on it. And it was great. Surprisingly i fell in love with it the first test drive. Usually i would not drive a van because it made me look like a soccer dad (hahahha) but when you feel the power as well as the comfort I couldn't resist.

Favorite Features

Sliding doors (optional on ours), power, comfort, and very good handling.

Suggested Improvements

The shift knob is on the way, can't get to the radio, Maybe a little wider. Better sound system with more speakers.

Should have bought the Honda...
By nomoremazdas

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned the MPV for 40,000 miles now. Just had the rotors replaced because of all the hotspots, warping and bad quality. While the fit and finish are good, the transmission feels like it is about to fall out when the engine gets heated up, and that's WITH the tranny cooler! Of course Mazda can't figure out (or admit) anything, nor will they help. I'm sure that the dealer will be able to figure it out 1 mile after the warranty runs out. The DVD is junk. We have it replaced annually because the screen burns out. No replacement foam earpieces for the IR headphones just insures that we will be buying another make next time. Looks good, but it's in the shop far too often!

Favorite Features

Great looks with the GFX package, quick engine that seems to have the right amount of horsepower, good amount of amenities.

Suggested Improvements

Come up with something reliable, this is a family vehicle that is expected to be a workhorse. Instead, it's a whiny "need machine". Think through the design this time. For example, DO NOT put beverage holders directly over the rear A/C control unit. A child *may* spill their drink and short it out!