2003 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Like the van hate the transmission
By Gregg Gagnon on 12/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife an I purchased a 2003 MPV and on firts impressions really liked it. However we began to experience problems with the transmission shifting very hard into 3rd gear. We took the van in for service and they said it need a computer update. We got the van back and eveything seemed to be fine, but 2 -3 weeks later the same problem with the transmission started all over. Back to the shop it went and a week later we got it back with a new transmission. Once again everyting was great for 3-4 weeks but the same problem is back.

PUPPIES HUMAN DRIVER REVIEW
By PUPPIES HUMAN on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I LOVE MY NEW VAN FOR MY "PUPPIES". IT IS FUN TO DRIVE AND HAS MORE SPEED THAN I THOUGHT. THE DIFFERENCE IN PRICE WITH THIS ONE AND THE TOYOTA OR NISSAN IS UNBELIEVABLE, AND THIS VAN IS M U C H NICER.

My Perfect Van
By nick123 on 12/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the van for my wife, but I find myself always driving it. We got the LX with all the options. The only drawback is the interior noise, it can be loud when it's windy. Other than that, it's a great van for the price.

Mazda between Us and Japan
By Boston4family on 12/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a good solid van, with several "need to improve" desing features. A little attention to this product and some marketing could sell alot more of them.

Oustanding Vehicle
By tazabe on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our MPV online through Carsdirect.com which was itself a 5- star experience. Mazda was offering 0% financing at the time which sealed the deal for us, but we really liked the overall package Mazda offers with the MPV. We researched several mini-vans before deciding on the MPV. The only real concern we had with the MPV was the interior room, but Mazda did an incredible job with their design. We estimate we saved at least $5000 by avoiding the popular Honda Oddysey and we really believe we found the best value all thing considered.

Transmission
By Deb on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have experienced problems with the transmission of this vehicle. When it automatically shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear it slams into gear. The more passengers you have the bigger this problem becomes. Mazda knows about the issue and is currently trying to work on a fix, however the past 4 months have been unpleasant. Still waiting.... The dealer claims they have 3 other vans with the same problem.

Pleasant Surprise
By EastRidge on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We previously owned an '00 MPV DX. It was nice, but lacked a few creature comforts. The combination of subtle and not-so-subtle improvements is absolutely fantastic. The extra horsepower, torque and 5th gear in the automatic translate to cleaner shift points and better mileage. We got an incredible deal on an '03 leftover, and are thoroughly enjoying the luxury. If you're considering a minivan and don't need the long wheelbase of a GM or Chrysler product, give this a try. It handles like a sports sedan, and is every bit as equipped as the top-ranked Odyssey.

Almost perfection
By Cesarito on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I compared this van with their equivalent in Nissan and Toyota, and it has better design, and the price is lower. More features than Dodge Grand Caravan. It's an amazing car!

It is different
By Hamid Mahmood on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have used some other MiniVans. This is my first drive and buy of a Mazda vehicle. I really astonished to see such a good performing vehicle and with some many features (in ES model), which compititers are selling in more than $6000. Performance and reliability is much higher than my expections. I am really happy to own this minivan.

Love the MPV
By bigmike7 on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Came out of a 2001 Maxima-wanted a minivan that handeled similar and of similar size-the MPV was that vehicle. With the dealer $5000 off MSRP came out around $3000 BELOW invoice-a great deal!! Like the handling, comfort and style plus the good pickup (made even better with a K&N air filter and a "Tornado") and am getting about 24 mpg!! wife loves it too - even occasionally drives it to the store, etc. To the other poster regarding the sliding door vs. the gas tank opening-I had the same concern until I had it open and tried the door-the vehicle puts a stop on the door about 2 inches before the gas door as opened-so no worries mate.