Used 2003 Mazda MPV Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

loved this van
By jd

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our MPV used with 50000 miles on it. We have not had any major problems other than a sensor on the gear shift went bad and the auto sliding doors quit working, cost 500 to fix. It was really nice on long trips and had plenty of power. In the winters we lost 4 mls per gallon and the check engine lite would come on, then in spring all would be fine. We had planned on keeping it for a long time till a kid ran a stop sign and hit the back fender of the van at 60 mph. We spun around a few times and hit a telephone pole. The van was a loss but my 6 yr old and i walked away with a few bumps. I hate to see it go and now my wife wants a volvo.....

Favorite Features

loved the leather seats, sunroof, power sliding doors with roll down windows and how safe it is

Suggested Improvements

less expensive tires and little better gas milage

Bought it new and it was the worst van
By dentandabump

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van in 2004 brand new.By the time I traded it in at 82,000 miles,the service people knew me too well.I did all scheduled maintenance yet had to replace:transmission sensor, CV joint,all coil packs, EGR boost sensor,starter,radiator,engine mounts, oxy sensor, coolant reservoir, control arms,range selector switchpurge valve, manifold ans more to the tune of thousands. The body was rusting and the carpet wore out quick. After forking out 20,000 to buy it and all the expensive repairs on parts that should not have been worn until after 100,000 miles, I am upset with Mazda makers.I paid 400 for a sensor and was told the convertor, tranny coolant hoses and water pump were bad.Trade in!Grrr

Never again, never Mazda!
By DC Sienerth

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely the worst vehicle I've ever owned. Purchased with 84000 miles, at 88000 the transmission blows up (luckily it was under warranty).Two weeks after trans is replaced, the famous ill-designed PCV hose has to be replaced (not under warranty, cost $300). Now it refuses to run in the rain - water apparently getting into the other famously ill-designed item: coil packs have a vent that allows water to get into pack and interfere with spark! Do yourself a favor and avoid Mazda products - I can guarantee I will avoid like a plague!

Do Not Buy This Van!
By Christy

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the worst experience I have ever had with a vehicle. Purchased used. One owner lease. Good price and had all I wanted. Well the engine started coughing. 2 coils replaced, transmission, fan cooling system, and then another enginge. That engine was coughing. Another lower mileage engine around 40,000 installed. Now that engine is coughing since it now has around 75,000 miles on it, the engine not odometer. New driver window motor, 4 o2 censons, and a new cadallidic converter. I have put more money in this van than its worth. Mazda is not coming clean on the engine problems and they should be recalled. Shame on you! Just paid off my van and can't afford another vehicle or more repairs!

Favorite Features

I really wanted to love this van, it has everything I wanted for me and my children. Plus it was a good price compared to the Sienna.

Suggested Improvements

The Engine! I will never own anything but Toyota again! Invest the money up front because Toyota doesn't need repairs like Mazda. I know, I've owned the Corolla, Celica, and Avalon. None of these vehicles Ever needed major repairs and they were all bought used!

Gone the distance so far....
By Melissa

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Original owner. Have replaced the oil pan when it cracked at 95K, one tail light has gone out 2 times. Get up and go is non-existent. It eventually gets to speed, but it loses power up hills that other car accelerate up. Tow package doesn't really allow you to tow safely the claimed weight. No major breakdowns, have replaced rotors at 100K, but that is bad info from the last people that changed my tires. Been through 2 sets of tires all around. Gas mileage has continually gone down through the years. That is greatest disappointment. Rear air not near cool enough. Needs bigger fan. My boys were still hot.

Favorite Features

LOVED roll down 2nd row windows. Like the dual sliding doors more than i thought I would. Has been reliable overall.

Suggested Improvements

improved fuel economy.