Used 2003 Mazda MPV Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Most Helpful|
Gone the distance so far....
By Melissa

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Original owner. Have replaced the oil pan when it cracked at 95K, one tail light has gone out 2 times. Get up and go is non-existent. It eventually gets to speed, but it loses power up hills that other car accelerate up. Tow package doesn't really allow you to tow safely the claimed weight. No major breakdowns, have replaced rotors at 100K, but that is bad info from the last people that changed my tires. Been through 2 sets of tires all around. Gas mileage has continually gone down through the years. That is greatest disappointment. Rear air not near cool enough. Needs bigger fan. My boys were still hot.

Favorite Features

LOVED roll down 2nd row windows. Like the dual sliding doors more than i thought I would. Has been reliable overall.

Suggested Improvements

improved fuel economy.

Stay away from Multi Problem Vehicle
By Sam Paul

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this used car at 103k miles & drove it for another 5k & the engine gave way. A spark plug popped out while the car was still running, just to learn that it had damaged the cylinder. I had to replace the hard to find & fix the engine for $2500.00. Burned my pocket to that extent that I will never buy a Mazda MPV (multi problem vehicle) Not at all a reliable vehicle. Very labor consuming when it comes to repair.

Favorite Features

Very compact & good for a small family

Suggested Improvements

Engine engine & engine only.

A great car
By redmuddler

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our MPV new and it has been a great car. I like the exterior design and size. Honda and Toyota went bigger in 2003 leaving Mazda with this smaller size which is more agile and I think a sleeker design. The driving experience with this Mazda is surprising: it really is almost sporty, in any event very responsive. My only beef with this vehicle is the shifter sort of gets in the way of the controls on the dash board. Other than that, the moter runs like a top with enough power. At 74k miles now, the transmission seems like it might be acting differently, but no actual problems. After 8 years though I'm afraid my wife wants "something new" so I may look around. But a great car.

Favorite Features

handling and just enough power.

Suggested Improvements

Shifter (on driving column) gets in the way of the dash board controls.

Do Not Buy This Van!
By Christy

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the worst experience I have ever had with a vehicle. Purchased used. One owner lease. Good price and had all I wanted. Well the engine started coughing. 2 coils replaced, transmission, fan cooling system, and then another enginge. That engine was coughing. Another lower mileage engine around 40,000 installed. Now that engine is coughing since it now has around 75,000 miles on it, the engine not odometer. New driver window motor, 4 o2 censons, and a new cadallidic converter. I have put more money in this van than its worth. Mazda is not coming clean on the engine problems and they should be recalled. Shame on you! Just paid off my van and can't afford another vehicle or more repairs!

Favorite Features

I really wanted to love this van, it has everything I wanted for me and my children. Plus it was a good price compared to the Sienna.

Suggested Improvements

The Engine! I will never own anything but Toyota again! Invest the money up front because Toyota doesn't need repairs like Mazda. I know, I've owned the Corolla, Celica, and Avalon. None of these vehicles Ever needed major repairs and they were all bought used!

Never again, never Mazda!
By DC Sienerth

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely the worst vehicle I've ever owned. Purchased with 84000 miles, at 88000 the transmission blows up (luckily it was under warranty).Two weeks after trans is replaced, the famous ill-designed PCV hose has to be replaced (not under warranty, cost $300). Now it refuses to run in the rain - water apparently getting into the other famously ill-designed item: coil packs have a vent that allows water to get into pack and interfere with spark! Do yourself a favor and avoid Mazda products - I can guarantee I will avoid like a plague!