Used 2003 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Too Many Issues!
By poop on mazda!

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Brought her brand new. 85k on it, rust all over, new brakes twice, still make noise, O2 heat coil bad, fuel pump replaced, relays bad, replaced, tires replaced 3 times. Very bad gas mileage. Definitely going back to Honda when she is gone.

roll down windows in rear, rear heat

recall for rust and a whole lot of other problems.

A good reliable van!
By Doug

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this van used in 2004 with 34k miles. Has been a great van. Two problems worth mentioning: The transmission has a rough shift from time to time. And I had some engine work done 2 years ago. Now I have 116k on it and no other complaints. Thinking of selling it due to my plan to take a long road trip this summer. Not sure. I would highly recommend this van. Handles like a car-better then any others I have driven. Has held it's value rather well.

Handling is my favorite feature. Also like that the windows in the sliding doors go down and the one passenger seat slides away from the other seat so that they can be a "bench".

Fix transmission gremlins.

loved this van
By jd

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our MPV used with 50000 miles on it. We have not had any major problems other than a sensor on the gear shift went bad and the auto sliding doors quit working, cost 500 to fix. It was really nice on long trips and had plenty of power. In the winters we lost 4 mls per gallon and the check engine lite would come on, then in spring all would be fine. We had planned on keeping it for a long time till a kid ran a stop sign and hit the back fender of the van at 60 mph. We spun around a few times and hit a telephone pole. The van was a loss but my 6 yr old and i walked away with a few bumps. I hate to see it go and now my wife wants a volvo.....

loved the leather seats, sunroof, power sliding doors with roll down windows and how safe it is

less expensive tires and little better gas milage

Bought it new and it was the worst van
By dentandabump

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van in 2004 brand new.By the time I traded it in at 82,000 miles,the service people knew me too well.I did all scheduled maintenance yet had to replace:transmission sensor, CV joint,all coil packs, EGR boost sensor,starter,radiator,engine mounts, oxy sensor, coolant reservoir, control arms,range selector switchpurge valve, manifold ans more to the tune of thousands. The body was rusting and the carpet wore out quick. After forking out 20,000 to buy it and all the expensive repairs on parts that should not have been worn until after 100,000 miles, I am upset with Mazda makers.I paid 400 for a sensor and was told the convertor, tranny coolant hoses and water pump were bad.Trade in!Grrr

Never again, never Mazda!
By DC Sienerth

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely the worst vehicle I've ever owned. Purchased with 84000 miles, at 88000 the transmission blows up (luckily it was under warranty).Two weeks after trans is replaced, the famous ill-designed PCV hose has to be replaced (not under warranty, cost $300). Now it refuses to run in the rain - water apparently getting into the other famously ill-designed item: coil packs have a vent that allows water to get into pack and interfere with spark! Do yourself a favor and avoid Mazda products - I can guarantee I will avoid like a plague!

• SUV