2003 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Longtime Mazda buyer disappointed
By 2thebeach on 11/03/08 10:10 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned seven different Mazdas. All served me well except my 03 MPV ES. Problems are as follows. 41000 miles, recall for fan control module, PCV hose and fuel trim code correction. Also replaced a leaking crank seal. 42500 replaced #6 ignition coil and spark plug. 47500 replaced leaking oil pan gasket and coolant line leading to rear heat/ac. 84000 replaced coils #3 & #5 plus front sway bar links. Other problems during ownership include replacing over half of the exterior bulbs, considerable body rust around rear wheel wells and the paint finish flaking off of the alloy wheels! Sorry Mazda, I don't give second chances now that so many brands both foreign & domestic build quality cars.

not a happy camper
By david on 08/22/08 17:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Many problems - I'll never buy Mazda again - - oil leak started at 70000; dealer "fixed" but fix only lasted 30000 miles - manifold cracked - very noisy on startup - catalytic converter needed to be replaced at 125000 - replaced 2 coils at $200 a piece. This is not what I call reliability.

Good Value
By Tom G on 08/07/08 21:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this vehicle new and have had an overall positive experience with it. It handles very well and although it is a smaller van, it has met the space needs of our family quite well (3 kids, mom and dad). Reliability has been above average but not great... no major problems. We've taken it camping on some very rough roads over the years and it has come through unscathed.

One of the best car we have ever owned
By rjoe1 on 07/26/08 18:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2003 MPV has 60 miles on it and is one of the best buys we ever made. It's been a great "school bus" for the grandkids, a versatile hauler for big purchases or trips to the dump. It's been very reliable, with only one set of tires and normal oil change maintenance needed.

One of the Best Minivans
By Big Papi on 07/18/08 12:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought our '03 LX in late 03 when they had great rebates. This van has done it all for us. It tows a popup camper (our LX has the tow package), hauls the kids AND the grandparent thanks to the 3 row seats and has conquered the New England winters. We also like the size (a bit smaller than the Honda, Toyota). No serious mechanical problems, all the little things were covered under warranty. V6 had plenty of power and is rides very well on the highway. Do yourself a favor and check out the used MPVs - they are a bargain!!

Great vehicle
By thutton on 06/03/08 12:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought our 03 LX as new in 04 as a model year leftover. Great price, tons of options including sunroof, power doors, GFX package, 6 CD changer, traction control and ABS. After some initial teething problems (idle air control, transmission reflash both under warranty), car has been trouble free for 60,000 miles. Original Dunlop tires wore rather quickly, front brakes replaced at 40 K (average for Colorado mountain driving). MPG is pretty good at 25 fairly consistently on highway (not bad since CO is a 75 mph state) w/AC on and five aboard. In town is 19-20 in warm weather. Only advice? Dealer quality seems to vary widely.

It just keesp running!!
By Randy on 11/07/07 12:08 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van brand new. Two deer have totaled out the front quarter, it is a little top heavy and dangerous on water, but for the most part if you put water tires on it that fixes the problem. I am upset that they discontinued the van.

5 yrs & 50K miles
By Lynda Marie on 08/10/07 14:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new and still love the van. None of the problems some others on this site seem to have; just new tires, oil changes and recommended maint. Still getting 20 mpg in town and about 25-26 hwy. (Yes, I do drive it nicely - most of the time.) Excellent size for running around town and adequate storage space for trips.

One solid family mover
By X on 03/29/07 18:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this van new 3 years ago and 50K miles later we have had no problems. This is very refreshing after our last van, a 98 Windstar was one problem after another. Pick-up is adequate. It cruises down the highway very well.

Mazda MPV
By Antoinette Johnson on 10/25/06 14:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV LX-SV 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have enjoyed my van a lot. I prefer to drive it more than my other car. The ride is smooth, and it is very reliable.