2003 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
First and Last Mazda
By jacho59 on 07/14/11 16:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought our 2003 MPV new. It only has 60,000km on it but it has cost us a lot of money and time to keep it on the road. PCV hose, TCM and various 'little' unrelated things. The real pain is the dealer dings us $110Cdn every time they hook it up to the 'computer'. We bought this van because we thought Mazda was a reliable and durable brand. NOT SO. This is our first and last Mazda vehicle...

A great car
By redmuddler on 06/12/11 07:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our MPV new and it has been a great car. I like the exterior design and size. Honda and Toyota went bigger in 2003 leaving Mazda with this smaller size which is more agile and I think a sleeker design. The driving experience with this Mazda is surprising: it really is almost sporty, in any event very responsive. My only beef with this vehicle is the shifter sort of gets in the way of the controls on the dash board. Other than that, the moter runs like a top with enough power. At 74k miles now, the transmission seems like it might be acting differently, but no actual problems. After 8 years though I'm afraid my wife wants "something new" so I may look around. But a great car.

Well satisfied
By Anna Wells on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We moved into a mini-van when my 3rd child was born. 2 yrs old and 24,000 miles. 5 yrs later still driving it, has been on many vacations, have done only routine maintenance, and have replaced the tires once. The transmission may be going, but up until now, it has been very reliable and a great vehicle for my family.

Breakdown
By Ed Darnell on 08/21/10 14:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased vehicle new. Unresolved problems with automatic sliding doors (sometimes they work other times not) 68k miles, engine light on, transmission range switch inoperative, replaced at cost of $326. 70k pull off interstate for lunch car stalled in parking lot. Able to restart by depressing gas pedal to floor, but stalls when gear is engaged. Tow to dealer $87.50, two nights in motel awaiting part and repair $236.00, replace AJ57-18-84A water thermo switch, $178.

2003 MPV LX - Bought New
By Tommy C. on 08/16/10 21:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My MPV was bought new and now has 143K miles on it. It has had all the issues that others stated here. Check Engine light is a regular happening! Catalytic Converter issue that I will ignore until the end! Replaced the two common coils in front - water issue/design - stupid! Leaking rear AC antifreeze tubes - under warranty at 130K - thanks Mazda! Tubes were rusted gone! transmission issues - reprogrammed in 2004 and seems to be ok since. Rust around rear wheel wells AND bottom seals of front doors! Happened at 35K miles in beginning! Worst design - no power lock button on pass.side door! No dimmer over-ride to switch on inside lights after 10 Minutes! Ugh! AC is weak! Heater is weak.

Stay away from Multi Problem Vehicle
By Sam Paul on 08/10/10 19:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this used car at 103k miles & drove it for another 5k & the engine gave way. A spark plug popped out while the car was still running, just to learn that it had damaged the cylinder. I had to replace the hard to find & fix the engine for $2500.00. Burned my pocket to that extent that I will never buy a Mazda MPV (multi problem vehicle) Not at all a reliable vehicle. Very labor consuming when it comes to repair.

Bought it new and it was the worst van
By dentandabump on 02/16/10 12:53 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van in 2004 brand new.By the time I traded it in at 82,000 miles,the service people knew me too well.I did all scheduled maintenance yet had to replace:transmission sensor, CV joint,all coil packs, EGR boost sensor,starter,radiator,engine mounts, oxy sensor, coolant reservoir, control arms,range selector switchpurge valve, manifold ans more to the tune of thousands. The body was rusting and the carpet wore out quick. After forking out 20,000 to buy it and all the expensive repairs on parts that should not have been worn until after 100,000 miles, I am upset with Mazda makers.I paid 400 for a sensor and was told the convertor, tranny coolant hoses and water pump were bad.Trade in!Grrr

Never again, never Mazda!
By DC Sienerth on 01/25/10 07:20 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely the worst vehicle I've ever owned. Purchased with 84000 miles, at 88000 the transmission blows up (luckily it was under warranty).Two weeks after trans is replaced, the famous ill-designed PCV hose has to be replaced (not under warranty, cost $300). Now it refuses to run in the rain - water apparently getting into the other famously ill-designed item: coil packs have a vent that allows water to get into pack and interfere with spark! Do yourself a favor and avoid Mazda products - I can guarantee I will avoid like a plague!

Gone the distance so far....
By Melissa on 09/06/09 07:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Original owner. Have replaced the oil pan when it cracked at 95K, one tail light has gone out 2 times. Get up and go is non-existent. It eventually gets to speed, but it loses power up hills that other car accelerate up. Tow package doesn't really allow you to tow safely the claimed weight. No major breakdowns, have replaced rotors at 100K, but that is bad info from the last people that changed my tires. Been through 2 sets of tires all around. Gas mileage has continually gone down through the years. That is greatest disappointment. Rear air not near cool enough. Needs bigger fan. My boys were still hot.

Don't Do It
By Joe on 05/31/09 17:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Here's the thing: The transmission is a joke. It constantly wants to downshift on interstate hills to jerk your neck out of joint. Then at low speeds it has an abupt upshift and it feel like someone has rear-ended you. Did I mention that the fuel economy stinks? I didn't? Well, it does. Did I mention I had body rust in the fourth year? I'm an angry white MPV owner, man. Good thing they quit making this bomb.